RunamukChuck

FIRST CANOPY FOR STUDENT

Here's my story as I am sure someone will ask-

Made my first tandem in 95' and completed AFF soon thereafter.Went on to complete 40 jumps before stepping away from the sport to raise a family & now I'm Back.

Most DZ's back then had adjustable MLW's on their student gear which was great for a guy like me that measures out to 22.5" in the torso.

None of the 3 DZ's in my area have student gear that will fit me and I have been unable to find rental gear that will fit either as I am 6'-2", 235lbs which puts my exit weight at 260lbs. Most containers are TSO'd at 254lb Max and the ones that aren't have been set up with Smart 250 reserves. Which means I am grounded until I can find a rig to jump.

So I have worked with my instructors and Bill @ Sunpath(Big Thanks to Bill for all the help!!!) and have a new Javelin J6NK on rush order due to arrive April 30th. Rig is set up to receive a 260 Main & an Optimum 253 reserve.

My 1st choice would be a Pulse 260 but none are in stock, 2nd Choice would be a Safire 2-270, 3rd choice would be a Navigator 260. I like the idea of having 1 step up from a student canopy loaded conservatively at 1:1. Not opposed to used canopies just haven't been able to find any.

I'd appreciate some insight from those of you that have had some experience with these or perhaps some other ZP canopies that I haven't considered.

Thanks in advance!!!
Air Cooled, Gravity Powered

SRA #6305

You might talk to your DZO about what canopy he might like to own a year from now when you might be thinking about down sizing. Schools need new gear from time to time and it will be your best bet when you turn around to sell it. It's a bit big for most peoples main.

Have you thought about renting a main by the day from the DZ. Most will rent a full system by the day. If you have your own container, TSO'd for your weight, they might let you put their canopy into your container for the dayly rate. You could put some jumps on it till you are ready to buy your own canopy. After a while you might find that your in the market for say a 230 or 210 rather then a 270 which is the range you probable need to be on right now. People generally don't do this because over their first fifty jumps as they go through training they generally transition from almost ridiculasly large canopies through several sizes in the student and rental gear to some thing more reasonable. It's a alittle differnt for you being a bigger boy. Still you will find that you will be looking to down size, perticularly depending on the type of canopy you buy.

And don't get too hung up on the exact wing loading. Yes you need a big canopy right now. You're a big boy, but what you will find is that large canopies fly really really well. There is more to it then wing loading. The actual size of the canopy and length of the lines also play into it. That's why even a little tiny girl may find her self over her head on a smaller canopy. "You'll be fine, it's only 1.2 ...". I've heard that shit more then once and I cringe. On the other end of the scale, large canopies fly fundomentally better then smaller canopies at the same wing loading. I work with a 1,200 sq ft canopy that flies wonderfully and it's a clunky old school design that you wouldn't think would do well at all. But it's big and will carry emence loads. Point is that with the size canopies that you will be jumping I think you'll find that you will be able to down size to a smaller canopy and you might not be stuck on this first canopy years. What I'm saying is that in these larger sizes there is more wiggle room on the wing loading then on smaller canopies do to their higher performance. Far less diffrence in change between a 260 and a 230 then between a 170 and 150 even if the 230 is at a higher wing loading then the 150.

So see if they will let you rent there rig for the day and jump their canopy in your container till you make up your mind what canopy you are eventually going to want to buy. If you find that you are comfertable a little smaller then it will open up all kinds of posibilities in terms of buying off the shelf or used gear.

Lee
Lee
[email protected]
www.velocitysportswear.com

Thanks for sharing your insight guys. I appreciate it!

Lee great Idea! I've been so spun out looking for new & used canopies that I can't see the forest for all the trees right now.

Thought I had made a decision on purchasing a new stock Safire 2 after reading about it all weekend and was told today that the Navigator is a better canopy with better resale value. I was under the impression after all my reading that the Safire 2 was considered an intermediate canopy with better flight characteristics than the navigator which is and always has been a student canopy. ARRRRRGHHH

Time to stop, take a breath and spend some reading up on BSR's and getting ready for my A license test while I'm grounded. Going to check and see if any of the DZ's have a canopy piloting course I can take in the interim as well.

Best part of this experience, no matter how frustrating, is that is giving me an opportunity to learn in detail about the gear I will be jumping.
Air Cooled, Gravity Powered

SRA #6305

BigMark

While not popular with the cool kids a Firebolt is superior to a Navigator in pretty much all aspects.

There are a lot of canopies superior to Navigators in many aspects. But this one is wanted as a transition canopy. He will end up on a 230 or even a 210 one day. In most smaller sizes a more common sport canopy would be appropriate. But here we are talking about a 260. If he buys a navigator there will be a market for it as a student canopy after he is done. If he buys a huge Firebolt, or even a more popular sport canopy that large, it will be difficult to sell later.

It's not really about cool.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

I have jumped both and sold dozens of used canopies, the Firebolt opened much better and had a far superior flare so if you are going to make a few hundred jumps I feel the the money you might lose is well worth it. In Florida I suspect you wouldn't lose any money at all.

BigMark

I have jumped both and sold dozens of used canopies, the Firebolt opened much better and had a far superior flare so if you are going to make a few hundred jumps I feel the the money you might lose is well worth it. In Florida I suspect you wouldn't lose any money at all.

I don't think he is in FL. If he was there would be rental gear for him. Guys like you are few and far between. Resale value for Racers, Firebolts and Angelfires are poor. Even though they are all good products.

On the other hand, that usually doesn't matter much to the people who buy them. Because they are mostly loyal to the brand. But that won't help the OP in this situation.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.