kkeenan

Mirage Canopy Size Charts

I've emailed Mirage with this question, and not had a reply. Maybe some here can offer an opinion. I'm not looking to bash Mirage, as I think they make great rigs.

The company has published (via Facebook) a new set of sizing compatability charts. The recommended reserve sizes for each container have been dropped down by one size. i.e. The OLD chart for my G4.1 M1 shows the PDR-143 as "Optimal" fit. The NEW chart shows PDR-126 or Optima 143 as the only allowable PD reserves. I've heard speculation as to the reasons for this, and suspect that Mirage is looking to avoid liability issues associated with "over stuffing" reserve containers and associated slowing of freebag extraction.

But here's my question.
The OLD chart was in effect at the time I got the rig and I have been jumping it with a PDR-143, which was called for in the OLD chart. My question is about the legality of this assembly. If a rigger is obligated to follow the manufacturer's directives, is it now illegal to pack a PDR-143 in this rig ? The text with the NEW chart clearly says not to substitute canopies.

Adding to the confusion, both sets of charts are currently available online. Mirage has many, many rigs in use worldwide. I believe that the sizes, i.e., M0, M1, M2, etc. have been consistent for a long time, along with the OLD compatability chart. If the NEW chart carries the authority of Manufacturer's Directive, it would seem that many rigs should be grounded as improper assemblies.

Kevin K.

This is Mirage replying.

We’re not sure where your email went to but if we haven’t replied then we haven’t seen it. We apologize for that. Please re-send it to [email protected].

The packing chart on Facebook is our most current chart. Our website is under construction and should be updated soon (Dear God please). We have been doing live pack tests to update our chart based on current canopies. The new chart addresses most riggers in most locations for a pack job that fits and looks good. If your rigger can pack the canopy listed on the old chart and make it look right then you are fine. Your reserve pin cover should lay flat, not be bulged upwards. It is not a safety issue to go by the old chart.