CoqRouge

Vector 3 vs. Voodo Curv 2.0. in the 170 size spectrum

Hello guys

I’m in the marked for my first own rig and have of course scanned the marked and the different brands thoroughly.

I think I have my choices narrowed down to either a Vector 3 or a Voodo Curv 2.0. My plan is to buy it sized for a 170 and then pack a 190 into it until I learn to safely fly a 170.

Now, this is NOT another “which rig is best”-thread. I know that they are both excellent rigs that you could never go too wrong about. I was just wondering (in your opinion) if there is a brand that would be more recommendable in my specific size spectrum?

So: Is a Curv or a Vector 3 best at 170 (or 190)? Or is this really just a stupid question?

In general, Skyhook and general reputation pulls me towards Vector 3, while innovation and comfort pulls me towards Curv. Both look really good. Curv maybe has an awkward BOC, some tell me, but that would probably just be a matter of getting used to.

Any thoughts?

Cheers and thanks!

It'll be interesting to see if you get responses from people with experience with both rigs. It is really rare for jumpers to buy 2 new rigs from different manufacturers, especially at that canopy size. Usually people get something used, eventually might get something new, and sometimes if they work in the sport order 2-3 duplicate new rigs (so switching back and forth feels and functions the same). You're likely to hear that one is "the best" because it's the only one that someone has ever jumped... and no further information.

Those are both great manufacturers, the top 2 in my opinion and my riggers opinion. Also both are sexy rigs, so you've got all your bases covered.

I have flown both of those rigs and ended up buying a Curv. I don't know that one is necessarily better in that size, but I did find the curv to be more comfortable for my body type (long and slender). The Curv's only drawback IMHO was the lack of MARD- there is now one estimated to be ready to go in summer 2017. I have been plenty happy with my decision and would buy a second one. My curv is the 170-135 variety (Vc3), and my next one would be a size smaller. My wife has been happy with her two Vector 3s.

Just buy the one that you like more.

I jump a Javelin because I got it used for a great price but my first new rig will be from RI. Everyone I talk to with a RI rig says its better than sliced bread but the 25% veteran discount might be the reason I've decided on them...

Thanks for the response guys!

A couple of follow-up questions:

1. Does anyone know what the “increase of 10% volume” that RI advertises about the Curv means? Am I to understand that I can pack 10% more canopy into a Curv compared to another container brand of similar physical dimensions? And why? And is it really a thing or just a commercial stunt?

2. Does anyone know if the Curv can be ordered with black hardware?

3. Does anyone know if the Curv can be fitted with a Skyhook?

4. Does anyone have experience with the “Sure-Grip” handles? Are they “more” sure-grip than other handles for cutaway and reserve deployment?

Thanks!

1. I guess they mean 10% more canopy volume keeping the same container volume. In other words, because of the "bio curv" the space in the main tray is 10% larger than with a straight backpad. Means close to nothing in my opinion, you should simply check their size chart, that's all.

2. Yes, $100, it is in the order form http://www.rigginginnovations.com/files/Docuemnts/6/CURV%202.0%202015(1).pdf

3. No. But as somebody mentioned before they will release their MARD very soon. Look what MARD is if you don't know. Hint: the skyhook is a kind of MARD.

4. They simply have a patch of a material that don't slip as much as the cordura of the normal handles. A welcomed detail, but nothing critical in my opinion.

CoqRouge

1. Does anyone know what the “increase of 10% volume” that RI advertises about the Curv means? Am I to understand that I can pack 10% more canopy into a Curv compared to another container brand of similar physical dimensions? And why? And is it really a thing or just a commercial stunt?

If you do basic L x H x W to get volume, the Curv can accept more volume. If you look at a side view of most rigs, the back pad is flat from shoulder blades to where the rig rests on the top of your butt. Your spine is curved, though, so there's space between your lower back and the rig. The Curv uses this space for additional volume. As a bonus, it fits more comfortably along the curve of your spine.

2. Does anyone know if the Curv can be ordered with black hardware?

Yes.

3. Does anyone know if the Curv can be fitted with a Skyhook?

No. However, a newer design than the first-generation MARD is in the final stages of acceptance testing and is planned for release this summer. It will be fully and easily retrofitable to existing Curvs.

4. Does anyone have experience with the “Sure-Grip” handles? Are they “more” sure-grip than other handles for cutaway and reserve deployment?

Yes, and yes.

-Mark
  • Like 1

If you do basic L x H x W to get volume, the Curv can accept more volume. If you look at a side view of most rigs, the back pad is flat from shoulder blades to where the rig rests on the top of your butt. Your spine is curved, though, so there's space between your lower back and the rig. The Curv uses this space for additional volume.

It seems to me that this is a very attractive feature in my specific case, since I want to pack a 190 into a rig sized for 170 for some time. I am not sure if my logic is sound at all, but the extra 10% should make it more forgiving to do this, put less "strain" on the rig from the over-filling of a 190 and make packing a bit easier.

Your logic is not sound. 10% more pack volume does not mean capable of overstuffing an extra size. If you really want to buy a Vc4 and put a 190 in it, do yourself a favor and get a low bulk canopy like the pulse or a zpx or at least start with a 7 cell since its less material over the same size. Another option is to order a semi stowless bag that is slightly larger than the OEM bag so however difficult closing the container is at least isn't also as difficult to fit it in the Dbag before you overstuff it in the container.
Conventional wisdom is to buy a container without compromise for downsizing for your first container since you have the least amount of awareness early in the sport, the least amount of packing skill you'll have in the sport, and the least amount of gear knowledge you'll have in the sport. Every jump can kill you so planning 100-200 ahead can't really overshadow the fact that you have to survive the first 100-200.
Perhaps you should get a solid used container and plan on buying your new container that you'll have forever as your first and only container downsize. Or realize that this is an expensive sport and you'll spend a lot of money pretty much no matter what you do.
On the note of which container, I would look at whether you intend to freefly or not. Curv's design gives you better aerodynamics for sitflying and backflying where you expose the container directly to the windstream but provides no significant advantage for belly flying. If you're not planning on freeflying I would lean towards the vector. If you know you're gonna freefly, then Curv makes a lot of sense.

Containers all have specific sized canopies they can hold and you can look up those numbers from either manufacturer. The "10%" of the Curve means the container sized for a 170 canopy might take up less space on your back than a 170 container from another manufacturer - NOT that a Curv container sized for a 170 is actually (secretly) sized for a 180-190.

It is difficult to cram the max size main into any container - easier with canopies that are low pack volume, or 7 cells, or non brand new slippery canopies. This problem is bigger when you put the biggest possible reserve in the container as well. For specific canopies in a specific rig, talk to your manufacturer or rigger (who will talk to the manufacturer).

GoHuskers

If you're not planning on freeflying I would lean towards the vector. If you know you're gonna freefly, then Curv makes a lot of sense.

Most if not all of the best freefly teams (VFS, freestyle, angle flyers...) fly vectors. That's not to say that vectors are better for freeflying that Curvs. Just that the container means nothing as long as the harness fits you and the container is freefly friendly.

Another part of the puzzle is the resale demand and value of the rig. Many people will put a few hundred jumps on their 170 sized rig before downsizing. Every spring I see newish jumpers spending big bucks on their equipment or trying to sell the stuff they bought 2 years ago.

-Michael

Your logic is not sound. 10% more pack volume does not mean capable of overstuffing an extra size.

I see your point. But I never claimed it would be capable of overstuffing an extra size because of the 10% - I merely said that it couldn't hurt to have a little more space for the same dimensions. Also: Smaller looking rig with the same amount canopy in it.

On the note of which container, I would look at whether you intend to freefly or not. Curv's design gives you better aerodynamics for sitflying and backflying where you expose the container directly to the windstream but provides no significant advantage for belly flying. If you're not planning on freeflying I would lean towards the vector. If you know you're gonna freefly, then Curv makes a lot of sense.

Another very valid point. I am planning on freeflying, but if I choose to jump a used rig in the 190 canopy size, I will probably sell this rig before I start freeflying for real. If I buy new, this will of course have to be taken into consideration. The Danish National Freefly Team is from my club and they all jump Vectors though, now that I think about it. But most people in my skydive community are very Vector-biased.

Another part of the puzzle is the resale demand and value of the rig. Many people will put a few hundred jumps on their 170 sized rig before downsizing. Every spring I see newish jumpers spending big bucks on their equipment or trying to sell the stuff they bought 2 years ago.

Also a good point. Money is no issue as such, but things still has to make sense and not be retarded. My problem right now is that I'm 197 cm tall and weigh about 97 kg, which makes most used rigs unfit for my freakish body. Furthermore, I need to jump bigger canopies than the average rookie skydiver because of it. So I can't wait around forever for a usable used rig to show up - though it might be the best thing to do, jump it for a good many jumps and then buy a shinny new rig when I know more about what I want and what I can safely fly and land.

CoqRouge

Also a good point. Money is no issue as such, but things still has to make sense and not be retarded. My problem right now is that I'm 197 cm tall and weigh about 97 kg, which makes most used rigs unfit for my freakish body. Furthermore, I need to jump bigger canopies than the average rookie skydiver because of it. So I can't wait around forever for a usable used rig to show up - though it might be the best thing to do, jump it for a good many jumps and then buy a shinny new rig when I know more about what I want and what I can safely fly and land.

It's not as hard to resize a rig smaller when it comes time to resell. I think the UPT product will be far easier to resell because of its populatiry. I also think there is no problem free-flying with either a curv or a vector3 so that probably shouldn't be a consideration for you. Factory support can be hit and miss so it may not be a bad thing to check with your local riggers to see which product and factory they are more comfortable dealing with.

-Michael