peacefuljeffrey

Why I have a gun

Theres no such thing as a clever criminal. If they were good at their trade they wouldn't get caught.

That is not true. Some criminals are very clever. Just because they got caught doesn't mean there were stupid. Kevin Mitnick comes to mind. You can't tell me that he isn't clever.

JAMES

Theres no such thing as a clever criminal. If they were good at their trade they wouldn't get caught.

Surely if you engage in unlawful activity you are a criminal regardless of whether you are caught or not. So, people that get away with it = clever criminals?
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

So what about the ones that don't get caught?

I would imagine that amongst criminals you have the same intellectual distribution as the rest of society. For example if regular society is 30% stupid, 40% in between and 30% smart, then criminals would be 30% stupid, 40% in between and 30% smart. The defining characteristic of criminals in my limitted understanding (I am not a criminologist or sociologist) is that they do not have the same ethical constraints as the average person.

Richards
My biggest handicap is that sometimes the hole in the front of my head operates a tad bit faster than the grey matter contained within.

What do you call the police who can't solve every case that lands on their desk then?:S

Odd logic that one...

"Skydiving is a door"
Happythoughts

This should go without saying, but anyone who posts politics/guns/religion threads in other forums to get around a ban here will get banned from the other forum as well. From the Rules above:

4. Post to the correct forum and stay on topic.

I would imagine that amongst criminals you have the same intellectual distribution as the rest of society. For example if regular society is 30% stupid, 40% in between and 30% smart, then criminals would be 30% stupid, 40% in between and 30% smart. The defining characteristic of criminals in my limitted understanding (I am not a criminologist or sociologist) is that they do not have the same ethical constraints as the average person.

Apparently not. Didn't it occur to you that those who can obtain success through legal means are less likely to commit crimes instead? The reward for risk equations are very different.

And there's little doubt that education (as opposed to IQ) has a reverse correlation with criminal behavior.

Apparently not. Didn't it occur to you that those who can obtain success through legal means are less likely to commit crimes instead? The reward for risk equations are very different.

I am not so sure about that. Many people who have been arrested have been incredibly bright people(Nick Leesam). Often it is the fact that some people who are incredibly smart are drawn to crime because they feel that they can get away with it, and it is profitable. If there are any criminology students, or correctional/police types on this forum, I would be interested in hearing what they have to say about that.

And there's little doubt that education (as opposed to IQ) has a reverse correlation with criminal behavior

Again I do not have a strong argument against that. It would be worth seeing if anyone has done a study on that.

Richards
My biggest handicap is that sometimes the hole in the front of my head operates a tad bit faster than the grey matter contained within.