Croc

F-111 main pilot chute

I have read that a 26-28" F-111 main pilot chute (kill line type) is best. Who sells them? Are they, in fact, the best, especially for slow openings? (I'll be using it in a Wings container with a 169 Safire 3.) Currently I have a Precision pilot chute, 28". It is ZP. I've had two hard openings, once knocked out for a minute or so, and another time stunned so that I couldn't use my arms for a while, then some numbness for several days. (That one was definitely a packing error on my part, but the first one was a normal pack job and deployment. Both with a Pilot main.) Trying to cover all the bases so that it doesn't happen again!
"Here's a good specimen of my own wisdom. Something is so, except when it isn't so."

Charles Fort, commenting on the many contradictions of astronomy

I'd agree with Wendy that although pilot chutes can be part of the problem. There are other things that should be checked 1st.

Watch the PD video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVAoiLl2B6M

1. Speed - slow down before opening
2. Packing - neatly packing and ensuring in the bag.
3. Canopy Age/design - Line Trim/Older designs
4. Line Stows - securely stowing lines
5. Slider - Different types of slider to slow openings.
6. Pilot Chute

So I'd check 1-5 before resorting to 6. It sounds like you've had some brutal openings.

We had a summer with tandems that experienced some brutal openings. Although we tracked it and it wasn't a specific packer, rig, jumper etc. The owner went out and spent time ensuring all the packers were packing in the standard manner - not just a cursory glance but actually correcting small things in the pack job. The problem then mysteriously stopped occuring. So small things, sloppy packing can have serious ramifications.

skytribe

I'd agree with Wendy that although pilot chutes can be part of the problem. There are other things that should be checked 1st.

Watch the PD video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVAoiLl2B6M

1. Speed - slow down before opening
2. Packing - neatly packing and ensuring in the bag.
3. Canopy Age/design - Line Trim/Older designs
4. Line Stows - securely stowing lines
5. Slider - Different types of slider to slow openings.
6. Pilot Chute

So I'd check 1-5 before resorting to 6. It sounds like you've had some brutal openings.

We had a summer with tandems that experienced some brutal openings. Although we tracked it and it wasn't a specific packer, rig, jumper etc. The owner went out and spent time ensuring all the packers were packing in the standard manner - not just a cursory glance but actually correcting small things in the pack job. The problem then mysteriously stopped occuring. So small things, sloppy packing can have serious ramifications.

I think the problem might have been solved by doubling the stows as mentioned in several PD videos. I've addressed all the issues you mentioned. Thank you for your input. John mentioned in one of the videos that he thought an F-111 pilot chute is best, but I've never seen one for sale. I'm putting together a second rig, so I thought I'd get one if they are available.
"Here's a good specimen of my own wisdom. Something is so, except when it isn't so."

Bicyclejim

Why don't you contact the manufacturer of your Wings, Sunrise Manufacturing? They will probably give you the best advice for your rig and you can get a new pilot chute from them. I've found them to be very helpful.

Wings pilot chutes are garbage, IMHO. At least the one that came with my rig was. (I ended up throwing it away.) I've had many, many "pilot chute in tow" mals on high clear and pulls, one for 3000 feet, (9500 to about 6500). None since I got my Precision pilot chute.

Hey Croc, just wanted to say that from a medical perspective both of those openings you described are pretty serious, and loss of consciousness or nerve pain in both extremities like that should warrant an ER visit (at the time). It would probably benefit you to see a physical/rehab therapist and do some neck exercises regularly, not just to strengthen muscles for deployment but you've probably done some damage and having stronger muscles will help decompress the joints just in day to day life.

Having arm numbness from a neck injury could be mid level (C4/C5) involvement, that is not only in quadriplegic territory but also breathing.