SkydiveStMarys

I'm this close <> to writing a letter!

My son has had a few "meetings" with the principal of his school about things that were relevant and some things that were blown waaaay out of proportion...ie he said girls had cooties (hes 11..EVERY girl has cooties at that age!!)...she came down hard on him for that one....cut me a freakin' break...any how...he almost got sent down to the office once again for singing a song...not loud but kinda just singing...during a break in class...the song...

I shot the Sheriff...we listened to that CD this past weekend...the Eric Clapton version...

The teacher said to him..."if you sing that again, you will be heading down to see Mrs Massey." (the principal) He stopped and he told me it just hummed it to himself...no big deal.

I just have a problem with this...this is ridiculous....you know..its a song...one that you may not imagine a 11 year old knowing...but he LOVES the "classics"...yeah the words in this day and age may not be appropriate with all that is going on out in the streets but come on...does she not LIKE Eric Clapton? Sending him to the principal...yet again...its down right picking on him....its a waste of my time too ('cause I would be called in) and his precious class time. She could have solved this another way.

What do y'all think?

Bobbi
A miracle is not defined by an event. A miracle is defined by gratitude.

Sounds like she's over-come with 'political correctness'. At 11-yrs. old, every girl has cooties and every boy is 'creepy'. Cut me a break! I'd rather hear your boy do a rendition of Clapton's: 'I Shot The Sheriff!", rather than something by Snoop Dog or any other rapper. I'm sure, the school has set their standards and rules for teachers but, this sounds a bit much. Miss Teacher, needs to lighten-up.[:/]

Chuck

Is your child being singled out or are there other kids being treated this way too? I bet you could drum up support from other parents for a meeting with the principal and the teacher. I wouldn't let it lie.

linz
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

You know...I don't know...I do know that the teacher is "older"...mid 60's...maybe...she may have very well not have heard of Eric Clapton...but highly doubt it....her husband has lung cancer, so she is very stressed about his health and taking care of him....she has told me that she views my son as a grandson (and has told him that as well) and only wants what is best for him.....so I can kinda see that in her and her reactions. But still she is NOT his grandmother and is making my life stressful. I think she means well and I don't want to make things hard on her because of what she is going thru at home...her husband is NOT doing well at all.

Bobbi

"I shot the Sheriff...we listened to that CD this past weekend...the Eric Clapton version.."
She's correct to be incensed because the Bob Marley version, the original, is so much better. The Clapton version is just an abomination.

There's definitely an over reaction going on here, call me when you get this >< close to losing it.

;)

"yeah the words in this day and age may not be appropriate with all that is going on out in the streets but come on"
To me its an anti racisim song, maybe you could highight this to the repressive school authorities.

"Sheriff John Brown always hated me;
For what I don't know.
Every time that I plant a seed
He said, "Kill it before it grows."
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

You know...I don't know...I do know that the teacher is "older"...mid 60's...maybe...she may have very well not have heard of Eric Clapton
Bobbi

Gimme a break - Eric Clapton is in his mid '60s too. I saw him live (Cream) in 1967! If she hasn't heard of Clapton it's on account of ignorance, not age.

If 11 year olds had good judgment we'd allow them to drive cars and vote.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

You know...I don't know...I do know that the teacher is "older"...mid 60's...maybe...she may have very well not have heard of Eric Clapton...but highly doubt it....her husband has lung cancer, so she is very stressed about his health and taking care of him....she has told me that she views my son as a grandson (and has told him that as well) and only wants what is best for him.....so I can kinda see that in her and her reactions. But still she is NOT his grandmother and is making my life stressful. I think she means well and I don't want to make things hard on her because of what she is going thru at home...her husband is NOT doing well at all.

Bobbi

ummm if she is in her mid 60's she would know that song unless she lived under a rock...I guess some people didn't like good music when they were in their 20's:S

If what your son is telling you is correct, the teacher really needs some lessons in classroom management. Those are both things that should've been handled in class by the teacher. Provided he's in public school, sending him out of the classroom for things that trivial are depriving him of his right to a free and appropriate public education. If that's how the teacher is handling such a minor disruption, he may not be learning much in her class, because it sounds like she doesn't know how to control her class.

Head over to the principal's office and request he be switched to a different teacher. If you make a big enough deal about it the principal will usually make the switch (sometimes just to get you out of her office). Your kid will be better off with a teacher that has better management skills (and isn't picking on him, if that's the case), and you'll be better off because you won't be getting phone calls from the principal.

you must be one messed up parent to let your kid listen to Eric Clapton, next thing you know he will be shooting all the police and not just sheriffs! ;)
Everybody says classic rock is not dangerous, just for fun to relax they say, but it leads to far worse dangers next thing you know it will be heavy metal, black sabbath-mettalica-korn, lets just hope thats as far as it goes and he doesnt start listening to 80's hair band music:o:o
You should be ashamed and seek counsuling to better yourself as a parent.
Beauty is only skin deep, but ugly goes clean to the bone!

I like to start my day off with a little Ray of Soulshine™!!

Bobbi

Yeah....well, then maybe one of those private little talks....woman to woman. :)

In through the nose, out through the mouth. It's frustrating sometimes, isn't it.
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

Or....instead of getting all bent out of shape and removing him from the teacher's classroom, you could use this as a teachable moment about respecting the rules that the teacher has and learning to thrive even when your teaacher (boss) is not the easiest to get along with.
I do not allow my students to sing lyrics that are questionable. Singing about shooting a law enforcement officer would fall under that umbrella. I cannot allow Clapton and then turn around and ban a more modern song about sex....or whatever....I would run into racial issues along with fairness issues.
Calling people names is not ok. Why not focus on that lesson instead of defending your son's saying that someone has cooties? Focus on teaching him that it can hurt people's feelings...how would he feel if someone called him a name?

IMHO...you are missing a couple beautiful parental teaching moments.

~Anne

I'm a Doll!!!!

See Anne....maybe that's so much more "functional" that I've ever been. Whenever I've had an unreasonable boss, then I've LEFT that job. Prob'ly better your way....

But now I've got a pretty good job that I might not have if I just accepted the crap that people along the way threw my way. I just don't like being anyone's doormat....

I've been really pleased since my little boy's been in public schools, for the most part. The part I really take issue with is the way that "individuality" is regulated out to such a big extent. I don't know the answer, but not allowing a kid to sing an Eric Clapton song, in my mind, isn't it.

linz
--

"I shot the Sheriff...we listened to that CD this past weekend...the Eric Clapton version.."
She's correct to be incensed because the Bob Marley version, the original, is so much better. The Clapton version is just an abomination.

There's definitely an over reaction going on here, call me when you get this >< close to losing it.

;)

"yeah the words in this day and age may not be appropriate with all that is going on out in the streets but come on"
To me its an anti racisim song, maybe you could highight this to the repressive school authorities.

"Sheriff John Brown always hated me;
For what I don't know.
Every time that I plant a seed

damn straight, on 2 counts:
1 - clapton's version is an abomination
2 - he said, "kill it before it grows..."

i'm a have to go with the "it's a public school, there's zero tolerance for anything: fighting, weapons, sex, drugs, creativity, individuality..." gotta teach the kid that school = box, gotta wait till your somewhere else to really *think outside the box* until then, stay in line, keep quiet, and leave your "violent" music at the door B|

/perhaps you can buy your son a marley shirt and send him to school in it? maybe the teacher will get it, maybe she won't ;)
Does whisky count as beer? - Homer
There's no justice like angry mob justice. - Skinner
Be careful. There's a limited future in low pulls - JohnMitchell

When I get my thoughts together I will reply to your post......its still kinda early.

I'm not taking my child out of the class....she is for the most part a nice woman....plus school is over mid May.

You know....I WANT my son to think that girls have cooties!!! Kids theses days are sexually active too early.....they blew that out of proportion...the teacher could have handled that not send him down to the principal so there is a "record" of it....same with the singing....I want the teacher to handle it...not whimp out and send him down to the principal...the teacher was too quick to pass him off and not deal with it...yeah I have a problem with her jumping all over him and treating him like a "bad kid" because of the song he was singing...get to know him...she would realize he likes the "classics" and loves music period...THEN explain to him why its not a good idea to sing in Math class and save all that for Music class.

YOU would have blown is out of proportion too...thank goodness he doesn't have you as a teacher.....we have made things to cut and dry these days...granted some situations call for a cut and dry answer...but not everything is black and white...lighten up will ya.Sheeesh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A song can be just a song...especially when a child is singing it...He wasn't singing it because he wanted to kill a officer...he was singing it because it has a funky beat and Eric Clapton is the Man!!!

Bobbi

When I read this thread you seem to be getting some support. People seem to think that she was over-reacting. I don't know you. I don't know your son, and I don't know his teacher. IOW I don't know if this is a correct perception.

Also, I can't help wondering if we'll have a post in here in a few weeks from a teacher who is tired of over-protective parents who think that it is the God-given right of their offspring to never ever face any adversity in life. Parents who think that it is their duty to make formal complaints over every sentence said in a class-room that does not conform to their own world-view.

I personally believe that teachers should be given room in which to work. Right now it sounds like you are second-guessing the teacher's decisions on the account of an eleven-year old who does have some vested interest in looking good in your eyes.

If she is blowing this out of proportion then maybe so are you.
HF #682, Team Dirty Sanchez #227
“I simply hate, detest, loathe, despise, and abhor redundancy.”
- Not quite Oscar Wilde...

I KNOW my son is no angel...hell just last week i washed his mouth out with soap...I posted that in the Bonfire Forum.....

I am the first to look at it from the "other side" and then take alook at my son's story...he tends to leave a few details out (BUT I did sit him down and asked him to tell me the WHOLE story)...BUT.....I think as a teacher and as a parent you need to pick and choose your battles wisely...to send a kid down to the principals office for singing a song, during a classroom break...is just STUPID....the teacher should be able to deal with it...going to the principals office...there is a permanent record of the visit in his student file....its just ridiculous...its not like he was in front of the whole class drawling attention to himself he was just singing a song...if she has a problem with the lyrics, so be it...but deal with it...don't threaten to send him to the principals office where it will be totally blown out of proportion.

Bobbi

Me and my mates were thinking back on our school days. Now in our early 20s and ready to take on the world if we were spoken to and treated they way we were at school now, we'd have been in big trouble. Some of them teachers would have been smashed around the room. Paticularly on one occasion standing face to face, toe to toe shouting at me. I must have been 13 for christ sake.

I know they have to control the group and maintain discipline, but sounds like she cant cope. If she has problems at home should fuck off and deal with them, take time off as compasionate or stress. If its affecting her work and judgement sounds like you have good reason to WRITE A STERN LETTER! :D

Here's a solution, HOMESCHOOL!

No, in all seriousness, I realize homeschooling is not for everyone. I just cannot relate because my husband and I chose to school at home. He did teach high school for about a year and some of the things he told me were unreal. I do not envy teachers today nor do I envy parents. Teachers (it seems) have so much more to be concerned about these days, that it must be hard to focus completely on education. I have not taught in the public schools, so I'm only going on what I've heard.

Bobbi, could it be possible that this teacher is trying to cover her own butt? I'm not sure how it is in your state, but in Texas everyone walks on eggshells. There is the political correctness issue as well as the fear of being sued, and it's amazing what offends people. It is ridiculous!

I do hope it works out for you. Being a parent is the most stressful job in the world, and being a teacher is no picnic either!

Let us know what happens.
Mrs. WaltAppel

All things work together for good to them that love God...Romans 8:28

When I was in high school we were having race riots. Your skin color was your uniform and it made no difference whether you wanted to participate in the fun or not--you were someone's target.

A black guy pulled a knife on me during a geometry class for no particular reason other than I was white.

Nobody gave a flying fuck about someone singing some dumbass reggae song. It was quite harmless compared to the other things going on.

Your son is just as much a victim of the times as my classmates and I were back then, only it is a different flavor of do-gooder causing the problems.

In the 70s, it was court rulings ordering forced integration via busing.

These days, it's people reacting to incidents such as the killings in Columbine.

I think you might as well just get used to it.

Walt

One of the best lessons that a kid can learn in school is that life isn't always fair, but that it's much easier for life just to go on.

If you can learn that with little lessons, then you can begin to see where you need to stand up for yourself, and where it's just not friggin' worth it.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

"Bobbi, could it be possible that this teacher is trying to cover her own butt? I'm not sure how it is in your state, but in Texas everyone walks on eggshells. There is the political correctness issue as well as the fear of being sued, and it's amazing what offends people. It is ridiculous!"

Oh yes!! The rules in our schools are just incrediable and if one rule doesn't cover someones ass the other rule down the list does.....
Like when he said that these two friends of his had cooties because they were girls.....he was just "teasing" being funny, whatever you want to call it...the girls were NOT offended and they laughed to...good god you would have thought that he brought a gun to school with how hard the principal cam down on him....My SO and I did whatever we could not to bust up laughing every time this stern looking female principal said COOTIES! Good grief!!!! He could have said so much more then "just" cooties. Every 11 yr old boy SHOULD think girls have cooties for god sakes!!!

It seems like teachers don't want to handle the situations...pass it off to who ever is higher up...there for when the child is sent to the principals office there is a record of it...which that in a nut shell pisses me off the most (that folder follows them everywhere)....plus they are quick to put the kids in an "in school" suspension type of situation. Grrrrrrr...so he misses class time too.

I don't have the patience for home schooling and I don't think my kids would do well in that type of situation. I do, however, have several friends that home school...its just not for me.

Bobbi

The whole "permanent record" thing not that big of a deal. What it will say is the facts of the matter. Not a big deal.

It will become a big deal when your son continues to believe that the rules do not apply to him because you are not supporting the staff at his school. So he will be caught singing "I shot the Sheriff" again, and the principal will note that just talking to him did not change his behavior.

In my classroom, any mention of drugs, sex, violence, or swear words in not allowed, no matter what form it comes in. I have to have clear-cut rules, and I stand by them.

Again I say you are missing a wonderful opportunity to teach your son. Has he ever really listened to the words of the song? At 11 he should be able to understand why singing about shooting a law enforcement officer might not be ok in certain situations.

As a teacher, I also have to balance handling situations myself and when handing a situation is taking instructional time away from the other students. It is not fair to ignore the other students in order to deal with the actions of one student.

Yes, I agree that him singing that song is not a serious crime. However, I believe that there are a lot of inappropriate messages in songs these days, so I am teaching my daughter (11 years old) about why some songs are not ok to sing, and to think about what a song is really saying.

Parent your child. Support your schools and the staff there. And relax!

~Anne

I'm a Doll!!!!