aerorigging

nail paint on reserve loops

Hi anyone who can give me chemical backup info if nylon gets damaged in any form for solvent, nitrocelulosa, tolueno or formaldehido(all this present on nails paint), I just found a bunch of rigs coming with the cypres loop painted, and I want to know if its some problem plus the manufacturer doesnt said you need to seal and paint ;)

Nicolas Lopez
Nicolas Lopez
Master Rigger
Aerorigging Parachute Loft

How do people think this stuff up?

I don't have any chemical info for you, but for my part, I would not allow that those rigs be jumped -- if that polish is on the portion of the loop that goes through the AAD cutter, you never know what kind of effect it could have.

We dont know the chemical composition - was it put on pre or post pin insertion.

Either way - its not documented in the container or AAD manufacturers manuals and therefore I would remove from service if I was to see this.

The closure loop strength could be compromised or the ability for the pin to slide freely. The only thing that goes on the loop is silicon which is included in the cypres kit and documented in the manual.

Sounds like someone just made that idea up.

Not that it makes much diff but the Cypres loop isn't nylon. It's Dyneema. I'm sure the mfg must be consulted before venturing into unknown territory such as adding a chemical-based substance on their product.

dpreguy

Sounds like someone just made that idea up.

Not that it makes much diff but the Cypres loop isn't nylon. It's Dyneema. I'm sure the mfg must be consulted before venturing into unknown territory such as adding a chemical-based substance on their product.

UHMWPE is odorless, tasteless, and nontoxic.[3] It embodies all the characteristics of high-density polyethylene (HDPE) with the added traits of being resistant to concentrated acids and alkalis as well as numerous organic solvents.[4] It is highly resistant to corrosive chemicals except oxidizing acids; has extremely low moisture absorption and a very low coefficient of friction; is self-lubricating (see boundary lubrication); and is highly resistant to abrasion, in some forms being 15 times more resistant to abrasion than carbon steel. Its coefficient of friction is significantly lower than that of nylon and acetal, and is comparable to that of polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE, Teflon), but UHMWPE has better abrasion resistance than PTFE.[5][6]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultra-high-molecular-weight_polyethylene

Both Dyneema and Spectra are of this type of molecule. I have no idea why someone would do this. But I would ground them subject to replacing the loop and inspecting the systems.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

First time I have seen nail polish on closing loops.
Would polish "glue" closing loops to pins .... increasing pull force?

Traditionally, we used nail polish to mark "witness marks" on metal connector links. Witness marks made it easier to inspect for links loosening accidentally.

I spent a good deal of time trying to figure out what sort of chemistry would affect a variety of materials from nylon 6-6 to hma, vectran and dymeetra. Fortunately, most are pretty resistant except for acids and UV.

I even did a bunch of testing to see if I could identify a reduction of reserve loop strength from sharpie markers and pen ink. Although I could not, there isn't a guarantee that some marker won't be a bit acidic. You also don't know that fingernail polish won't flake with sharp edges that damage the fibers.

I don't want their loop breaking in the door thanks.

-Michael

aerorigging

Hi anyone who can give me chemical backup.....

Email Cypres and they will tell you ..
let me guess: the answer is > no paint in any case ..
--------------------------------------------------

With sufficient thrust,
pigs just fly well

Finally wasnt nail paint, was some board marker.
At the end is one more time a solution for a problem that doesnt exist :)

This is the answer I got from cypres:

Thanks for asking, but I also never seen this in the last 26 years of my rigging experience.
It is of course not good at all to put nail paint on anything on the rig, Especially not on a sensitive part like the reserve loop as this is under a lot of tension stress all the time.
Little parts of the hardened paint can get into the fibers and can destroy the loop much faster and due to the paint cover, you can not even see the damages inside the loop fibers.
Nobody wants a premature reserve opening due to damages to the reserve loop.
This is only one reason why the should not use any paint on loops, but the other issue would be the ingredients of the nail paint, like acid´s etc.
We never made any tests with this, as we never assumed that somebody even considers to use them on loops.
So my suggestion is to replace the loop, and tell the riggers to not do this anymore. I would also not even bother to get the paint off also because you need chemicals to do this, so please just replace the loop by a new one.
I hope this answer helps you but if you need anything else please let me know anytime

Blue Skies,

Thanks everybody
Nicolas Lopez
Nicolas Lopez
Master Rigger
Aerorigging Parachute Loft