funjumper101

A service obligation for young adults

Which of the following eligible young men went to Vietnam in their youth?

Dick Cheney
George W. Bush
Tom Delay
Jeb Bush
Dennis Hastert
J. Danforth Quayle
Newt Gingrich
Trent Lott

I guess they're all liberals!

Yep. Pretty sure that GWB isn't wearing a bra anymore.
HF #682, Team Dirty Sanchez #227
“I simply hate, detest, loathe, despise, and abhor redundancy.”
- Not quite Oscar Wilde...

What kinds of service? Stuff like the 1930's programs like Civilian Conservation Corps, working to revitalize inner cities, day care for the children of single parents getting off welfare (or serving their commitment :)

mandatory military service is normal? You're not living in the US if that's the case.

and what happens to the displaced workers from all the industries that this service would cover?

when McCain is gone, the GOP faithful will finally have to give up the Canada remarks for good. (Though I thought that would have ended already after Bush Sr. retired)

In the last election, the best they could do for their draft dodging buddy is to say Kerry wasn't as much of a war veteren as he claimed.

Lets face it. If it becomes mandatory to serve they might as well open the borders to Canada because the cry baby liberals will just burn their draft cards again (& hopefully a bra or two) and move. Thus creating a better society for us to live in here in the U.S.

What you’re asking for is exactly what Hitler did when he annexed Austria prior to his attempt at world conquest in order to ensure that the supreme race ruled the world. So what kind of better society are you asking for? Let me guess, the one where good obedient caucasian Christians are allowed flourish at the expense of everyone else huh? And Americans wonder why the rest of the world doesn't trust them.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

mandatory military service is normal? You're not living in the US if that's the case.

You're right, and I fixed my original post to what I was thinking, but not typing....
thanks

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

The link to the proposal is

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/news/opinion/14051078.htm

Do you think that this is a good idea?

Should the rich and well connected be able to get out of it or should this requirement apply to everyone, with no excuses?

Good idea so long as it provides non-military options. Too many people today have no clue what social responsibility is and do not understand the concept of seeing the importance of something bigger than ones-self. There should be considerations of course (family hardship etc) but rich people should not be exempt.

I do not think it is sensible to force people into military service, as it seems (with some historical backing) that a professional army of volenteers who want to serve will significantly outperform a conscript army.

Cheers,

Richards
My biggest handicap is that sometimes the hole in the front of my head operates a tad bit faster than the grey matter contained within.

"Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction."

Amendment XIII, US Constitution.

Explain how this proposal does not constitute involuntary servitude.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

>Explain how this proposal does not constitute involuntary servitude.

C'mon, John, that's the old stale constitution. Everyone knows you need to 'sex it up' every once in a while, when people get scared of some new threat. After all, it is essential to sacrifice liberty to obtain a little temporary safety.

With reserve time I have 10 years in the Army. Look, I just think it's a good idea that people spend some time in the military so they understand what kind of a sacrifice it takes to be free. It doesn't matter if you're private snuffy or some high speed special ops guy. It isn't an easy job defending the freedoms so many take for granted.

Look, I just think it's a good idea that people spend some time in the military so they understand what kind of a sacrifice it takes to be free.

There are people who want to do that. However, the strength of a country is in its resources, and primarily, not wasting them.

A person with a great deal of promise could be preparing for career that would better serve the country in developing it's financial security.

Would you rather have your best and brightest preparing to get their medical degree or guarding the motor pool in Alaska ?

Applying your human resources in the best manner is the way to help your country.

Just because people used to have enforced service does not mean that it was ever a good idea.

With reserve time I have 10 years in the Army. Look, I just think it's a good idea that people spend some time in the military so they understand what kind of a sacrifice it takes to be free. It doesn't matter if you're private snuffy or some high speed special ops guy. It isn't an easy job defending the freedoms so many take for granted.

Only 10 yrs? Pussy. :P
Seriously, the military is NOT a good idea for every one. I think a lot of kids in high school would have jumped all over the chance to "kind of take a year or two off" before college and be able do do something really constructive in the process - that did not entail being in the military. There are exceptions to that as well. I worked with a guy who was a full time college student at 16. Masters at 19 and Phd at 22. He works in pharmaceutical research. This is a man that is of better use to society in a lab curing cancer or something. This is a man we should be working to keep safe, not put in harms way or stifle his ability to contribute in the best way that he can.

Well said. I'm not a closed minded person who is unable to at least listen to the other side or others' opinions. After all, isn't that why we serve? It was fun to get a few hackles up though. Oh, by the way, you are what you eat!!!!:ph34r:

Nice. I think it would be great if we could get some public service out of the people who just aren't meant to be in the military. Problem is, we'd have to pay them and give them health care and that's just that many more gov't. employees sucking up tax dollars. Looks good on paper, but I don't know if the return would be worth the cost.

When I think of a service obligation, I'm thinking of military....which I'd say NO WAY to. Bushjugend....sums it up for me.

A service obligation as in some kind of service to the community is more palatable, and I think people SHOULD do things to serve their communities, but to require it of people doesn't sit well either, really.

linz
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

I think it's the most ridiculous proposal I've seen in a while. First off, it would be prohibitively expensive to employ every viable 18-21 year old in the U. S. and then educate all of them. There would be a 4 year halt in the professional entrance into the workforce. Wages would skyrocket in the civillian sector because of this. And worst off. . .There will be nobody working at my beloved Jack-in-the-box Restaurant>:(

The report shows a drawing down due to money. There's less money to employ volunteer military forces. there isn't going to be more money, now, employing every high school graduate; even if they don't receive a paycheck. The paycheck is on average 1/3 the total cost of a service member.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

I never knew that bra burning was anything but optional. I'd be pissed if someone tried to burn mine....though I DO prefer going without....lol.

Undies too?

linz
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

I never knew that bra burning was anything but optional. I'd be pissed if someone tried to burn mine....though I DO prefer going without....lol.

Undies too?

No, I can go commando no problems. It's just simply a danger to myself and others if I go without some sort of boobie restraining system in place. Except bed, or when I'm hanging in jammies at my house.

I am sooooooo glad bra burning is optional...that makes me rest easier.:)
Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

I think it's the most ridiculous proposal I've seen in a while

That it is. But don't forget where this idea came from. The good state of Kansas where obviously they serve much better apple pie with their patriotism than any other place and really have no concept of how much a program/draft like this would cost the feds. Plus who would work in the service industries? Oh I know. The Mexicans. But in many places already, the Mexicans are already doing this.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

when McCain is gone, the GOP faithful will finally have to give up the Canada remarks for good. (Though I thought that would have ended already after Bush Sr. retired)

In the last election, the best they could do for their draft dodging buddy is to say Kerry wasn't as much of a war veteren as he claimed.

Draft dodging buddy?

News flash for ya - Clinton wasn't a contender in the last election.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

surrender before I make you cry.

Since Clinton, the Democrats put up Gore and Kerry, both Vietnam vets. Go to the other side - after the former WWII navy pilot/parachutist and head of the CIA, you have Qualye, Shrub, and Chaney. 3 draft dodgers that did Clinton proud.