DemolitionDarby

Go-Pro Helmet Mounts

DemolitionDarby

Hey guys,

I just hit 200 jumps and am looking to start using a go-pro. Any advice on a go-pro break away mount that would fit a bonehead full face helmet?

Thanks!

What kind of bonehead full face helmet? Might be worth it to get a different helmet...

This is a good mount:

http://grellfab.com/

I have an Aero and have the bolt on low snag option. I wouldn't jump a camera if my helmet didn't have a cutaway system, but choose your own adventure. The Bonehead options are the best I could find and I've been happy since. As a matter of safety, I do walk through chopping my helmet before chopping my main so it is a part of my possible EPs. (I wouldn't necessarily do it, but it is in my mind. )

Regular plastic mounts will break away if caught by a deploying main, and I would assume, reserve, or even slapped hard by a riser (seen first hand). A PC is unable to reliably break them, and not sure you want them detaching that easily.

I find the chin cutaway to be, well interesting (or any other cutaway). I can't fault it I guess, but it is probably unnecessary. The only situation I can think of where you wouldn't be able to remove your helmet and the cutaway would be useful is if there was full body weight on the chin cup and you couldn't depress the ratchet clippy things (idk, you might still be able to). So imagine a situation if you will, where you end up hanging under a main by your head, I'm gonna guess you are already dead.

I can only think of 1 person who has died skydiving as a result of GoPro entanglement and it was a swooper who got hung up in his turn, no time to remove it and chop anyway. There are a couple BASE incidents but that is another animal and at least one involved alcohol and some very stupid decision making that lead to the entanglement, on a chest mount.

Speaking of which, I know a few dozen camera flyers, with 10's of thousands of jumps between them, none have ever chopped their helmet. Does anyone have a first hand account (or verifiable somehow) about someone having the use a helmet cutaway (rather than the normal release mechanism) in the last 20 years?

We had a jumper at Skydive Dallas (Now Spaceland Dallas) have her camera snagged on opening, she chopped without disengaging the helmet. Her helmet was ripped off of her head with the helmet bib in the fully tight orientation. She said that it felt like her head was being ripped off and she felt "lucky that the incident didn't break her neck." This occurred in 2015 on a belly jump, very experienced jumper.

Speaking of which, I know a few dozen camera flyers, with 10's of thousands of jumps between them, none have ever chopped their helmet. Does anyone have a first hand account (or verifiable somehow) about someone having the use a helmet cutaway (rather than the normal release mechanism) in the last 20 years?

Peter Galli ( GUANO ). He is also the guy who SUGGESTED to me to never jump a camera without a cut-away system. Thanks for caring Pete. :)
Life is short ... jump often.

Anachronist

Does anyone have a first hand account (or verifiable somehow) about someone having the use a helmet cutaway (rather than the normal release mechanism) in the last 20 years?

While this topic could derail the thread:

Had a case about 3 years back at my local DZ. A friend snagged his cutaway handle during a C-182 exit. One riser departed on deployment. When he found and pulled the handle the rest of the way, for whatever reason the departing riser & RSL somehow snagged and hung on to the Bonehead Optik helmet, with I think stills camera on top and video side mounted. I don't recall his helmet being any snaggier than any other traditional stills & video setup, so it was unexpected but it happened.
He was fast to pull the helmet cutaway. (Which was the simple chin strap pin / spring / cotter pin system Bonehead sells. Edit: attached to a coated wire loop handle.)

ABonito

http://www.devianprint.com/

Cheap, simple and effective !!

I do not see the cutaway mechanism on any of these. Am I missing something?

-Rob
Life is all about ass....either you're kicking it, kissing it, working it off, or trying to get a piece of it.
Muff Brother #4382 Dudeist Skydiver #000
www.fundraiseadventure.com