Deyan

Adler 98

Does any of you guys have experience with this machine?
Positive or negative?! I need a reliable zig-zag machine for heavy stuff ( toggle tips for example ) and I ran into one of these. The guy selling it said 14mm clearance under the feet, but it sounds a bit unreal.
Anyone? Mel, Jerry, Terry?
"My belief is that once the doctor whacks you on the butt, all guarantees are off" Jerry Baumchen

I'm in the same boat as you. Settled on a Consew 146RB. I haven't found the time or cash to order one yet. That Adler98 long arm from Keystone is something to drool over. $6k is a lot of work before it's paid off.

I've learned that many machines can be adjusted or modified for more lift provided the needle system can accommodate the difference. I've re-worked my 20U for the time being to deal with this problem but the tough issue is switching to a 135x7 needle because it means stocking another needle system. If you don't change systems the needle bar hits the top of the presser foot while sewing thicker material.

-Michael

I have had a longarm Adler 98 and it for sail repair.
Used constantly for 10ears. It is a GREAT machine for doing long runs of zigzag. Not sure it is particularly heavy duty for punching thru heavy stuff. Pretty heavy stuff, but not a barn burner for multiple layers. Doubt it is the machine for toggle tips. I'd go with a programmable short throat machine.
Plus side: It is a trouble free and great machine for sail repair. I love mine.
If it is a long arm, sell it to Councilman so he can start repairing sails.
If it is a long arm, and councilman doesn't want it I might buy it. Can you PM me if you or Urban don't buy it? (only interested in longarm)

Thanks for the info.

I'm going to check it out this Monday. The other option is that ZZ-568 which I was told is made by DA for Global. DA makes the same machine known as 524. The Global is more expensive because it's with Efka servo motor, but the foot clearance is 11mm.
I do a lot of tandem repairs and having that extra 2-3 mm is a big plus.

And Walt, I don't think you really want to import machines from EU. Only the shipping charges will scare you ;)
"My belief is that once the doctor whacks you on the butt, all guarantees are off" Jerry Baumchen

I'd listen to Terry on the machine of choice for sewing multiple layers such as toggle tips. Once again, I don't think the Adler 98 short arm pictured is the machine for that. In my experience, it isn't a thick material machine.
And yes, my 98 longarm cost about $5500 10 years ago. Plus a hefty shipping fee to get it (900 miles away).

Does any of you guys have experience with this machine?

Yes, I do.
Dave DeWolf had one and it is now owned by a friend of mine that may sell it if asked.It is a decent machine and will do what you are asking.(sewing toggle noses)

I need a reliable zig-zag machine for heavy stuff ( toggle tips for example )

Once again the Singer 143W is a machine that will do just about anything. I can get at least 20mm of clearance under the foot if using a 135X17 needle.

As with any machine, you are limited only by the needle bar and needle.The longer the needle you can install, the more presser foot clearance you have.

Do not confuse presser foot clearance with presser foot lift.

Clearance is height that the presser foot can be successfully sewn with.

Presser foot lift is the amount of clearance gained by using the knee lift ot the presser bar lever.

To gain more clearance than the "presser foot lift", simply set the presser foot to where it does not touch the needle plate at BDC or with the knee lifter in the down position.

MEL
Skyworks Parachute Service, LLC
www.Skyworksparachuteservice.com