Verbinaction

??looking for help with identifying parachute??

Hello, I am not a skydiver, but I was pointed into this direction (website) by a skydiver to get information. I purchased a Irvin air chute from an auction awhile ago with plans to use it for idea. I never used it for the idea. After researching this chute, I'm having trouble identifying and determining if it has value. Any consultation would be greatly appreciated. The chute is gold and black, the pack is military and there are two smaller chutes stamped with dates 1956 and 1957 and model MA-1. I can not included photos because the forum will only let me do 1 mb. Thank you for any help.

Those small 'chutes are "MA-1 spring-loaded pilot-chutes."

Look along the skirt hem (where suspension lines meet fabric) of the big canopies to find data panels.
Harness data panels are usually sewn to the horizontal back strap.
Container data panels are stamped or sewn to the outside of the container.
If you are lucky, you might find a packing data card in a small pocket outside the container. That card should have: manufacturer, model, serial number, date of manufacture and records of inspections.
If you post all the data on those panels, we can help you identify your equipment.

First, I'd like to say thanks for the help.

I have been trying to locate the data panel on the skirt, but not have had any luck. The only numbers printed are on the chute were: each square of fabric (5, 5A...) of the Gold top half.

On the back straps, which are hard to mark out, it reads:
PT.NO. 50C6860-3(I believe the last number is a 3, but could be an 8).
MYVAL CO NEW MDJ

Sorry, this is all I could find. Is there away to upload larger photos to this forum?

No way to upload larger pics.

Part of the problem of having an older site. Although, if Sangrio updated it, he would either have to charge membership fees for everyone, or have more (and more intrusive) ads for those of us who sign up for free.

One option is to post the bigger pics to Photobucket or a similar sharing site and then post a link. Or just resize them smaller.

Are you anywhere near a DZ? If so, you could likely take the rig out and someone there would be able to help you figure out what you have.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Hi Mark,

OK, let's hope they are small enough know.

It looks like it might be a ParaCommander hooked to a MiniSystem H/C.

It would seem as though the canopy centerline has been disconnected from the risers allowing the apex to be as shown.

Anyone else?

Jerry Baumchen

PS) If it is a black & gold ParaCommander then it might have been an Army Team rig.

Verbinaction

Thanks for downloading and posting these photos for me.

If this was used by the Army Team rig, why would they want to use a chute colored black and gold?

aren't these the colours of the Golden Knights (the Army team) ?
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

Verbinaction

Thanks for downloading and posting these photos for me.

If this was used by the Army Team rig, why would they want to use a chute colored black and gold?

. The canopy looks blue and gold to me. Maybe an old navy leap frogs rig ??
i have on occasion been accused of pulling low . My response. Naw I wasn't low I'm just such a big guy I look closer than I really am .

Hi Roeland,

1965 PC MK1 - Black and gold - Golden Knights

A question for you. The very first Mk I PC's had a 1.6 oz fabric at the apex; the first panels at the top of the canopy, where it is pulled down.

The first GK PC's also had this fabric, only in gold.

Later all PC's used the taffeta mat'l through out the entire canopy.

Do you know what mat'l is at the apex of the one that you have?

Jerry Baumchen

Hi Jerry,

Found the canopy
See attached pics

Maybe you can ID this canopy.

It is a PC MK1 from March 1965.
Canopy colours;
panel 1-2-22-23-24(data panel) gold
Rest black.
Apex gold.
Stabilizers gold

I could not find any real difference between the fabric from the apex and the rest of the canopy. Is there a way of checking this?

The sleeve;
Sleeve says its for a PC MK2 for the US Army parachute team. (pic1)

I got this canopy from England about 12 years ago.
Done 1 jump with it, flies great.

Does any one got maybe more info about this canopy?

Cheers

Hi Roeland,

Canopy colours; panel 1-2-22-23-24(data panel) gold Rest black. Apex gold. Stabilizers gold

Yup, Army Team P/C.

I could not find any real difference between the fabric from the apex and the rest of the canopy.

If I remember correctly, by 1965 Pioneer was making them in a variety of colors; and with the apex material being taffeta as the rest of the canopy was.

Go put a jump or two on & get some good photos to put up.

Jerry Baumchen

Hi Jerry,

Thanks for the info. Looks like I got an original! B|

If I jump it again I will post some pics.
There should be still pics somewhere from 05 when I jumped it, see if I can dig them up.

If anyone is interested in the canopy, Ill swap it for something triangular for my collection B|B|

R