happythoughts

should Hillary run?

Pro
1- She is very politcally savvy.
2- She has been politically successful.
3- She would enjoy the support of the womens groups.

Con
1- She lacks the charm of Bill.
2- She lacks the trust of almost anyone.

Unsure
1- She can lie without shame in the face of facts that she is aware of. (I am unsure whether this is a political asset or liability)

A better choice. Place her as a running mate and use her as a fund raising tool.

She was in Tampa last week doing fund raising. She is definitely a national figure. She is positioning herself for something.

Shes a polorizing factor that no matter who you ask they have an opinion either positive of negative. There is little middle ground on the opinions.

The Democrats will be far better served by finding someone that appeals to both sides as a true moderate.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

The Democrats will be far better served by finding someone that appeals to both sides as a true moderate.

I agree. She is such a lightning rod that she would never be given the benefit of the doubt on the slightest issue.

However, she does have a following. In politics, that translates to fund raising effectiveness (hence her appearance in Tampa).

I think that he should be able to fill those intern positions easily. ;)

Does it come with cigars?
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

No fucking way should she run. If she gets the Democratic ticket, it will just add to the shear buffoonery that the Democrats have been pumping out. They can't seem to pick a good candidate, or good leadership...so they need to pick someone much more moderate to have a chance at all.

The Dems have developed a coalition of the alienated groups. Unfortunately, it is difficult to have a platform that pleases a lot of groups that are diversely displeased. By definition, there are no moderates.

Promise everything, then when you fail to deliver, the answer is, "we suck, but we're better than the alternative".

On a local level, some goals can be achieved. The national level is impractical. The local groups are tiring of the national level failure.

No, there is a large moderate group. There's a large group pissed at the stupid antics of the Democrats' leftist bullshit and there's a large group pissed at the right-wing politics of the Bush admin. There certainly is a large group of people who hate both sides and would love to see someone who meets somewhere in the middle...perhaps McCain, that's my hope.

Yes.
She should run.
Very fast.
Very far from here.
She should run away.
She shouldn't go away mad.
She should just go away.

Added: With Bill.

For once, we are in total agreement. :o

Let the beer flow. :D

rl
If you don't know where you're going, you should know where you came from. Gullah Proverb

i'd like to see her run just to see her get her ass handed to her and to hear the lame excuses she'd come up w/ for why she lost...

Actually, I'd like to see her run. Every time she opens her mouth and goes into one of her tirades, she helps the other side.

Pro
1- She is very politcally savvy.
2- She has been politically successful.
3- She would enjoy the support of the womens groups.

Con
1- She lacks the charm of Bill.
2- She lacks the trust of almost anyone.

Unsure
1- She can lie without shame in the face of facts that she is aware of. (I am unsure whether this is a political asset or liability)

You're kidding, right?

When the commonest refrain of complaints against "politicians" is that they are lying scumbags, you can't possibly be unsure whether that's good or bad in a politician. :|

It's BAD.

I don't care if being a "good liar" (oxymoron) enables a politician to "get things done" -- I don't think we should tolerate "leaders" who are so good at lying that we have trouble telling when they are or are not.

Personally, I want Hillary to rot in a ditch. I think she is an evil, power-hungry wench and I have never liked -- or trusted -- her. I am guessing that you mean this thread as a sounding board to figure out if she has a chance because you want her elected, not to figure out if she'd be good as a leader.

I start from a position of thinking that we should do everything we can to prevent her from being a leader.

-
-Jeffrey
"With tha thoughts of a militant mind... Hard line, hard line after hard line!"

If the Republicans for some insane reason decide to run a McCain/Powell ticket for the next election, they'll probably get my vote (though this seems incredibly unlikely). If they don't, I'll probably vote Libertarian...UNLESS the Democrats put Hillary on their ticket, in which I'll vote for her just in hopes of hearing 50% of the assholes in America slam shut simultaneously. :)
Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

don't care if being a "good liar" (oxymoron) enables a politician to "get things done"

Actually, the discussion is about the particular skills which aide a person in being elected. These skills were used in her being elected. Remember the "cookie recipe" speech? Remember the "print cotton dress" that her handlers requested that she wear to soften her harsh image ?

Second, they kept her alive politically. Do you think that when woman after woman...ad nauseum, proclaimed to being groped, etc by BC that she didn't understand the truth? Yet she proclaimed his innocence the loudest.

I am unsure whether her obvious past untruths have become a political liability. People know that she lies, has it kept her from the Senate?

-- I don't think we should tolerate "leaders" who are so good at lying that we have trouble telling when they are or are not.

No one is confused about her lying. That is not the question. The question is, how does this affect her chances of being elected?

I am guessing that you mean this thread as a sounding board to figure out if she has a chance because you want her elected, not to figure out if she'd be good as a leader.

The error of that guess ranks an order of magnitude behind "it's just a training flight" on Dec. 7th.

If you wish to vent vitriol on a particular subject, do so.
However, to attack a particular idea, you position the words as coming from others so that you may attack them. In the future, don't include me in that inventive process.

I was reading about her local appearance at a fund raiser.

No fucking way should she run. If she gets the Democratic ticket, it will just add to the shear buffoonery that the Democrats have been pumping out. They can't seem to pick a good candidate, or good leadership...so they need to pick someone much more moderate to have a chance at all.

The same goes for the Republicans. I like Bush but I also think he does some very dumb things.

The error of that guess ranks an order of magnitude behind "it's just a training flight" on Dec. 7th.

If you wish to vent vitriol on a particular subject, do so.
However, to attack a particular idea, you position the words as coming from others so that you may attack them. In the future, don't include me in that inventive process.

Dude, whoa! Communication breakdown! I was honestly asking what you were about in your post. How am I supposed to track what your political predilections are? I thought you might be someone supportive of HC running for president and wanted to know if people thought her being a known lying cunt might hurt her chances.

I think it SHOULD.

-

I was reading about her local appearance at a fund raiser.

-Jeffrey
"With tha thoughts of a militant mind... Hard line, hard line after hard line!"

The money seems to be lining up behind a Clinton V. McCain fight. Should be interesting. The two of them are stumping all over the place, often together. Maybe it will at least bring some civility back in to politics.

"Truth is tough. It will not break, like a bubble, at a touch; nay, you may kick it about all day like a football, and it will be round and full at evening."
-- Oliver Wendell Holmes

The money seems to be lining up behind a Clinton V. McCain fight. Should be interesting. The two of them are stumping all over the place, often together. Maybe it will at least bring some civility back in to politics.

Civility? Hm. Maybe, but I'm not so sure. McCain's an interesting fellow, but he's got a real temper on him. Look at the way he publicly jumped all over Obama a couple weeks ago. I don't think that was calculated as much as it was anger controlling the man.

If that's the case, it'll be McCain by a frickin landslide.

I miss Lee.
And JP.
And Chris. And...

They both spend a lot of time complimenting each other.

Hell maybe it will be a McCain/Clinton ticket!

"Truth is tough. It will not break, like a bubble, at a touch; nay, you may kick it about all day like a football, and it will be round and full at evening."
-- Oliver Wendell Holmes