UpstateBonehead

Sewing Panels into a Jumpsuit

So, I picked up a couple of used Bev and Tony jumpsuits. They're good quality, no holes, rips or stains but unfortunately they are all a bit tight through the thighs and shoulders. Since I've got more time than $$ on my hands and I'm a pretty good seamstress, I figured i just rip some seams and add a couple "expansion" panels. I'm wondering if anyone has any experience doing this and what type of thread/material I should use. I was thinking just good quality spandex or heavy weight denim-like material would work but I have no idea regarding the type of thread I should use... Any thoughts would be appreciated.
"I shall not die of a cold. I shall die of having lived." Willa Cather

Jump suits are not really designed to be worked on. Depending on what you are trying to do it can be a pain. There are a few spots where you can expand them. The crotch/thighs is one of them. Tom decided to helpfully die his girl friends jump suit black as a surprise. It had fit her perfectly. Better then any custom suit she will ever own. It shank. She was pissed. The only way we could come up with to fix it is what we came to call the Cuttie Patch. One of the last seams in the jump suit to be closed is the crotch running up one leg, across the groin, and down the other. You can open that seam and put in a long diamond patch running from one knee to the other. It will expand the thighs and give a little more room through the... between your balls/cuttie and the shoulder.

Thread. I would use at least E thread size 69 bonded 8 lb tensile. Try apolstery shops. Some times you can get nylon appolstery thread in shit stores like Hancocks or Joe Anns in the 10 lb range. If you go to a real shop ask if they have prewound bobbins. Real thread is sold in one pound spools. A few bobbins will take care of this project for you for a lot less. Big ball point needle, at least size 18. Fabric is up to you. Suplex a blend of nylon and cotton is common. Go heavy rather then light. There is a lot of strain on jump suits.

Lee
Lee
[email protected]
www.velocitysportswear.com

RiggerLee

Jump suits are not really designed to be worked on. Depending on what you are trying to do it can be a pain. There are a few spots where you can expand them. The crotch/thighs is one of them. Tom decided to helpfully die his girl friends jump suit black as a surprise. It had fit her perfectly. Better then any custom suit she will ever own. It shank. She was pissed. The only way we could come up with to fix it is what we came to call the Cuttie Patch. One of the last seams in the jump suit to be closed is the crotch running up one leg, across the groin, and down the other. You can open that seam and put in a long diamond patch running from one knee to the other. It will expand the thighs and give a little more room through the... between your balls/cuttie and the shoulder.

Thread. I would use at least E thread size 69 bonded 8 lb tensile. Try apolstery shops. Some times you can get nylon appolstery thread in shit stores like Hancocks or Joe Anns in the 10 lb range. If you go to a real shop ask if they have prewound bobbins. Real thread is sold in one pound spools. A few bobbins will take care of this project for you for a lot less. Big ball point needle, at least size 18. Fabric is up to you. Suplex a blend of nylon and cotton is common. Go heavy rather then light. There is a lot of strain on jump suits.

Lee

Thanks for the info; much appreciated! I got them less than $20 each so I figure it'd see if I could make them fit. If not, I haven't lost much. Thanks again.

I've done the crotch; it was time consuming but not ridiculous. The recipient was happy. If you were to use spandex in the crotch it would probably give way pretty soon. Look at how judo pants crotches are done.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

wmw999

I've done the crotch; it was time consuming but not ridiculous. The recipient was happy. If you were to use spandex in the crotch it would probably give way pretty soon. Look at how judo pants crotches are done.

Wendy P.

Thanks Wendy. I'm thinking of ripping the seams along the legs and arms then inserting a 2-3 inch strip. I think it'll work as long as I take my time. I found some heavy(ier) 75/20/5 cotton/poly/spandex material I think will work. Time will tell... :)