happythoughts

new solar panel

nice bit about air conditioning is a lot of it is during the day when the solar power is being generated.

\

Couldn't you make a nice evaporative A/C using solar power directly rather than indirectly though electrical power from solar panels?

That wouldn't work too well in humid climates, would it? I know I bought a water cooling fan at one point for my van, but with our humidity, it was totally ineffective.
Why yes, my license number is a palindrome. Thank you for noticing.

>Anyone know how much 100 megawatts would produce in CO2 emissions?

No equivalent. How much gasoline does it take to generate 100 horsepower? There's no answer to that question because it's about energy, not power. Now, if you asked how much CO2 is created when you generate 100 megawatt-hours, you can answer that. A coal fired power plant produces about 2 tons of CO2 per megawatt-hour, or 200 tons for 100 megawatt-hours. For a natural gas plant it would be about 120 tons. For nuclear, it's zero.

Aye, that's what I meant to say. ;)

------------------------------------------------------
May Contain Nut traces......

>>Couldn't you make a nice evaporative A/C using solar power directly
>>rather than indirectly though electrical power from solar panels?

Are you talking about an absorbtion cycle refrigerator that uses heat to boil a refrigerant out of an absorber? (RV's often use this technique to run refrigerators on propane.) If so, then you need fairly high temperatures; you can do it with solar power but you need a concentrator and a tracker.

>That wouldn't work too well in humid climates, would it?

Absorption cycle refrigerators work fine. True evap coolers ('swamp coolers') don't work well though.

>That wouldn't work too well in humid climates, would it?

Absorption cycle refrigerators work fine. True evap coolers ('swamp coolers') don't work well though.

Yeah, a swamp cooler is what I figured he was talking about.
Why yes, my license number is a palindrome. Thank you for noticing.

IN the original article it does say something about a new plant in Germany?

Yet IFE make NO mention of this sudden leap from pure research to manufacturing in THEIR website?:S

In fact, IFE clearly state that their research into solar panels is based on silicon panels, rather than the ones made out of South-African-Snake-Oil!

No offence guys, but if the named major investor turns out to be what amounts to an academic research group, then I get suspicious.

Mike.

Taking the piss out of the FrenchAmericans since before it was fashionable.

Prenait la pisse hors du FrançaisCanadiens méridionaux puisqu'avant lui à la mode.

In mid winter, cold and damp Auchenblae I need about 6 kw just to heat the living room, good job I run that on renewable wood!

Ach, but that's because you live in a house built by British standards;). Some decent thermal insulation and triple glazed windows would do wonders.

According to a site by a Finnish power company, a 120 square meter house should consume around 20 000KWH per year. My math says that's 2.28kW all the time. In Finland.(25000kWh/year, 2.85kW for a 150 square meter house.)

This seems like a good place to rant about something I've wondered for a long time. I've spent quite some time living in Australia, and it amazes me how badly the houses are built. No thermal insulation, single windows, draft blowing through every corner. And then they run aircon half the year and heating the other half. Just doesn't make sense to me.:|

"Ach, but that's because you live in a house built by British standards"

Hehe, I hear you my Finnish friend, my house was built with state of the art technology, but it was state of the art around 1800.B|

"My math says that's 2.28kW all the time"
Aye, but thats with the sauna switched off. I looked into fitting a sauna recently and the smallest heater for one of those is around 4.5kw.:)
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

In mid winter, cold and damp Auchenblae....

.... you live in a house built by British standards;). Some decent thermal insulation....
According to a site by a Finnish power company, ... 20,000KWH per year.

Hi Erik,

If you're talking to residents of Auchenblae, perhaps you should begin by explaining about "E-Lec-Tri-Si-Tee"... Start by saying; "In The Civilised World...":P They already have Cavity-Insulation... It's called a "Wooly-Hat".;)

...something I've wondered for a long time.... living in Australia... amazes me how badly the houses are built.... :|

Quality of house construction is directly linked to availability of alcohol!:o Aussies have their Barbie-Fires to keep them warm... Their "Beer":S to keep them cool... AND... Their status as partially reformed convicts to keep them from complaining about their housing!,:ph34r:

Mike.

Taking the piss out of the FrenchAmericans since before it was fashionable.

Prenait la pisse hors du FrançaisCanadiens méridionaux puisqu'avant lui à la mode.

Aye, but thats with the sauna switched off. I looked into fitting a sauna recently and the smallest heater for one of those is around 4.5kw.

That's a 2.28kW average for the whole year in an average house, and an average Finnish house has to include a sauna. I suspect it's a rather minor point as you rarely keep the sauna going 24/7.

In any case, if you want to heat any part of your house with firewood, sauna is the place. The löyly from a wood burning kiuas is much softer than that from an electric one. You can make a decent sauna with an electric kiuas, but the rest of the sauna needs to be well built. I suggest hiring a Finnish contractor to do it.;)

Hmm. I thought we'd only need heating for about 9 months of the year, but now that I think about it summer is the time when everybody is heating their saunas during their summer holidays...:SB|

Hi Erik

Who the hell is Erik?

If you're talking to residents of Auchenblae, perhaps you should begin by explaining about "E-Lec-Tri-Si-Tee"

I prefer talking about "the invisible magic fire that makes things go". Less difficult words.

Start by saying; "In The Civilised World..."

What do you know about The Civilized World?:o You're from England, aren't you?

Quality of house construction is directly linked to availability of alcohol! Aussies have their Barbie-Fires to keep them warm... Their "Beer" to keep them cool

Alcohol is rather widely available in Finland, so it can't be that. I suspect there's something in the Australian "beer" that affects their common sense. I should know; I've done plenty of hands-on research in the subject.:P