gweeks

20u Hand wheel Slipping on Heavier Materials

On the 20u there is a smaller wheel inside the hand wheel that you can use to disengage the needle. When the needle is disengaged the hand wheel spins freely. When the needle is engaged turning the hand wheel moves the needle up and down. However on my machine when the needle is engaged and I try to sew through something heavy the hand wheel moves but it can't push the needle through the material. It spins freely as if it were disengaged. The only way I can get the needle through the material is to push it down by hand.

It seems like one of the parts of the mechanism to disengage the needle might be worn. Has anyone ever had this issue with a 20u or similar machine? Any thoughts on how to fix it?

This happens even with a new needle and the material isn't overly thick. One example is trying to sew a BOC pouch on, so 2 layers of binding tape, a layer of cordura and a layer of spandex.

Behind the the small wheel there is a washer with 3 ears. It can be installed wrong way around, but usually the hand wheel will just freewheel if that is the case. Try rotating it half a turn then put the screw back in. The screw only allows you to turn the knob a half turn. The threads may not be engaging tightly enough with the washer in that position. Just experiment, there are only two possible positions. (well four if you include washer backwards, but you'll know immediately that it's wrong)

If you completely remove and leave out the screw you can tighten the whole thing as much as you want. But that leaves open the possibility of the assembly losing parts.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

The disengage feature is for winding bobbins without rotating the rest of the machine. Take it apart and clean it. Is your needle too big for the density of the material? There is a happy medium between the density of material and needle size. Needle too light will break. Needle too fat, takes alot of effort to penetrate and may run hot. Good Luck

Thank you both! I took the stop motion clamp screw off, cleaned it, cleaned the hand wheel and cleaned the three-eared wassher and put it all back together. I found a very helpful blog post with good pictures that explained how to put the 3 eared washer back in the right way:

https://oldsingersewingmachineblog.com/2012/03/05/the-handwheel-or-balance-wheel-on-a-vintage-singer-and-the-stop-motion-or-clutch-part-one/

After all that, even with the stop motion clamp screw tightened the whole way my machine still slips without much resistance. I'll order some smaller needles (I was using 18/110 so I'll try 16/100). I think I'm also going to get a new hand wheel and stop motion parts because the whole mechanism seems to rely on friction and perhaps my parts are a bit worn.

Hi gweeks,

Some info that might help:

Mark Lancaster
2222 Buffalo-West Springs HiWay
Buffalo, SC 29321
864-429-8428
[email protected]

Henderson Sewing Machine
P. O. Box 967
Andalusia, AL 36420
800-824-5113
[email protected]

Ralph's Ind. Sewing Machine Company
2030 Clay Street
Denver, CO 80211
1-800-525-0330

Miami Industrial Sewing Machines
16501 N.E. 15th Avenue
North Miami Beach, FL 33162
1-800-890-1217
www.miamisewing.com
[email protected]

Singer Sewing Products
1224 Heil Quaker Blvd.
Lavergne, TN 37086
1-877-738-9869
[email protected]

Pfaff Industrial of America
2200 Norcross Pkway, #280-A
Norcross, GA 30071
1-800-731-7545
[email protected]

Jerry Baumchen

After all that, even with the stop motion clamp screw tightened the whole way my machine still slips without much resistance. I'll order some smaller needles (I was using 18/110 so I'll try 16/100). I think I'm also going to get a new hand wheel and stop motion parts because the whole mechanism seems to rely on friction and perhaps my parts are a bit worn.

It sounds like the lock screw is hitting the ear BEFORE the washer gets tight between the locking knob and hand wheel.

To test this theory, simply remove the screw and then tighten the locking knob as normal without the screw in the knob. This will let you know if you have to shim the gap between the locking knob and hand wheel.

MEL
Skyworks Parachute Service, LLC
www.Skyworksparachuteservice.com

masterrigger1

It sounds like the lock screw is hitting the ear BEFORE the washer gets tight between the locking knob and hand wheel.

To test this theory, simply remove the screw and then tighten the locking knob as normal without the screw in the knob. This will let you know if you have to shim the gap between the locking knob and hand wheel.

MEL

Thanks for the tip. I did tighten the locking knob as much as I could without the stop screw in place and the hand wheel still slipped without much resistance. Can you explain more about shimming the gap between the locking knob and hand wheel?

Can you explain more about shimming the gap between the locking knob and hand wheel?

Sure...
The concept of the locking knob is to create an interference against the washer enough to basically lock the handwheel to the shaft.

If the handwheel is not "locked down" to the shaft and is slipping, it is simply a matter of not creating enough interference against the washer. This means that the knob is not bottoming out against the washer and is bottoming out against something else like the end of the crankshaft to the inside of the Tension knob. By adding a shim washer, this should resolve the problem.

Send me a photo or two of the crankshaft end and the inside of the Tension knob if you can.

MEL
Skyworks Parachute Service, LLC
www.Skyworksparachuteservice.com

Makes sense. Thank you. I guess it's just a matter of finding the right size washer. I'll put the pictures here in case it helps anyone else.

[inline IMG_7213.JPG]
Fully assembled

[inline IMG_7215.JPG]
Knob off. Washer in place.

[inline IMG_7216.JPG]
Knob and washer off.

[inline IMG_7217.JPG]
Washer front.

[inline IMG_7218.JPG]
Washer back.

[inline FullSizeRender.jpg]
Knob