How do you feel about pregnant women smoking?

If a pregnant woman ingests addictive substances, the receptors for that substance will develop on the fetus's brain cell membranes. The child will be born with a pre-disposition towards addiction to that addictive substance.

Children who are born to mothers who smoked while pregnant are more likely to become smokers themselves.

Guess my brother and are just lucky that we've never become smokers even though my mom smoked through both pregnancies. I've smoked a few cigarettes in my life (one or two here or there after a night of drinking) and I've never been a "smoker" and I've never been interested in being a regular smoker. It just doesn't appeal to me and it's certainly never been something I've found addictively appealing. I think my brother feels the same way - as far as I know he's never been interested either.

Do I think smoking while pregnant is a good choice today? Probably not, but the fact is that we (my generation and the ones before) survived that and a lot worse. On this one, I'd keep my nose out of another person's business, particularly if I don't know them.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I was skydiving while pregnant -- got judgments about that?

Your child won't have withdrawals from skydiving. Your child won't get addicted to skydiving. While I wouldn't let my wife skydive while pregnant I consider it less risky than smoking. Women who smoke while pregnant are trash and don't diserve to be mothers. IT just makes me angry as hell to think about.

I was skydiving while pregnant -- got judgments about that?

Your child won't have withdrawals from skydiving. Your child won't get addicted to skydiving. While I wouldn't let my wife skydive while pregnant I consider it less risky than smoking. Women who smoke while pregnant are trash and don't diserve to be mothers. IT just makes me angry as hell to think about.

People who aren't able to spell and use proper grammar don't deserve to be parents.

Control freaks don't deserve to be parents.

People who can't control their temper don't deserve to be parents.

rl

P.S. I smoked--less, but I still smoked. My daughter had a healthy birth weight, and she had no problems related to smoking.

I don't appreciate being referred to as "trash."
If you don't know where you're going, you should know where you came from. Gullah Proverb

People who aren't able to spell and use proper grammar don't deserve to be parents.

*vows* to take a english class

I said "aren't able" not "who refuse to take the time (to proofread)." :D:D

rl
If you don't know where you're going, you should know where you came from. Gullah Proverb

True, there are more serious things that an expectant mum could do to her unborn foetus than smoking.

My mum smoked whilst carrying me and I weighed a healthy 8Lb 8oz. I was a healthy, bonny child too.

I think certain people are predisposed to certain defects caused by certain habits like smoking. One person could smoke all their life 40 a day and not seem to have any real side effects on their general health, whereas a non-smoker who happened to work in a small smoky bar for 15 years ends up contracting lung cancer that is smoke related.

The same could be applied to a growing foetus. One friend of mine smoked on and off throughout her pregancies and her children are very healthy and robust medically, have been ever since. Another friend who had a very anxious time with her pregancy, just could not find the resolve to quit. She subsequently had a prem labour and her midwives/doctors said it was because the baby was not getting enough oxygen due to her smoking. Her child is very unwell all year round and has asthma and sinus problems. She freely admits this is all down to her smoking whilst pregnant and she is deeply ashamed of this, she crucifies herself enough over this. She is a fantastic mum however and I have nothing but great admiration for her. Her choice was a bad one for her child and there is no getting away from this.

No matter how anyone looks at it, smoking while carrying a child is a risky business and a gamble with their future health. I suppose I have been quick to judge in the past as maybe if I had not wanted to throw up every time I smelt cigarette smoke I might have found it harder to quit. Who knows.

Fact is, it is a scary time becoming a mum or a dad.

Someone had mentioned earlier on how an occasional drink is even okay during pregnancy, Thats false, granted it would be uncommon but a child could have problems with Fetal Alcohol Syndrome with just one drink. It can and has intereferred with a cognitive development in children, a research project "Alcoholism: Clinical & Experimental Research" which I used to write a essay on the effects of being the product of a alcholic prove that even ONE drink can cause problems with a childs memory, as well as the ability to learn.

As a matter a fact, the long term effects of having a alcoholic parent are much worse then one whose parent smokes.

My mom did both, and even was nice and broke up the routine with an occasional joint. Im all fucked up, but I like my life and I have wonderful children who are happy and healthy and I am able to raise them to be strong men of God with a love of life.

Back to smoking, evidence also shows that men who smoke and the mother doesnt, also effects the baby, EVEN if he smokes outside and away from the mother.

There is always evidence to prove what we want it to now that the internet exsists. There is even documentation that suggests that the stress from quitting smoking could be as harmful then smoking itself.

That being said, there is only one who has a right to judge others on a moral issue. To negate a person and their ability to raise a child based on smoking while pregnant or skydiving while pregnant is just plain ignorance.
Sudsy Fist: i don't think i'd ever say this
Sudsy Fist: but you're looking damn sudsydoable in this

I wouldn't let my wife skydive while pregnant

Wow

My thought exactly. :S

rl

If I had a wife and she was pregnant I would be extremely pissed if I discovered she was still smoking.

You guys express shock at that statement as if its an "I'm the man and my wife obeys" kind of thing. I think in this situation a father to be has the right to make certain demands. Sexual equality has nothing to do with it.

When a woman is pregnant I believe she has new responsibilities which render her "need" for a cigarette irrelevant.

Any way you look at it, a pregnant woman who lights up a cigarette is making a choice, and in my opinion shes making the wrong one.

For the record, I think fathers should quit when their wives get pregnant also, especially if the wife is a smoker too.

Edit: Im an idiot, I thought the quote said "smoke" not "skydive"

I just saw a heavily pregnant woman smoking while i was out at the shops and it made me angry - i feel sorry for the child, they are disadvantaged even before they have left the womb, poor sods.

I guess the real question here is which individual has the right to judge what another person can and cannot do.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

I just wanna say that in spite of my previous post, I would never do or say anything to, or scowl at, a pregnant woman who was smoking. although I think it's a really bad idea, it is still none of my beezwax.
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

You guys express shock at that statement as if its an "I'm the man and my wife obeys" kind of thing. I think in this situation a father to be has the right to make certain demands. Sexual equality has nothing to do with it.

When a woman is pregnant I believe she has new responsibilities which render her "need" for a cigarette irrelevant.

Well said..

Well said..

That very well may be true, but going the next step to "I will not let her...." is where the problem lies.
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

That very well may be true, but going the next step to "I will not let her...." is where the problem lies.

Yes its the word allow, let, and give permission that I have a issue with. Granted I agree, the father of the child has a say in the matters, and his opinion should be respected, but when it comes to seeking permission and being allowed to do things then there is a problem.

I believe in the whole "women submit unto your husbands thing" but only to the extent that it is a mutual submission of respect for the other and for the family in regards to living by Gods word. I do not agree with a husband demanding anything from his wife that he does not demand for himself in return.

is where the problem lies.

I believe in the whole "women submit unto your husbands thing" but only to the extent that it is a mutual submission of respect for the other and for the family in regards to living by Gods word. I do not agree with a husband demanding anything from his wife that he does not demand for himself in return.

It's o.k. for both of you not to agree. Disagree all you want.. Do you feel better??

Good... Have a nice day!

Rhino

I just saw a heavily pregnant woman smoking while i was out at the shops and it made me angry - i feel sorry for the child, they are disadvantaged even before they have left the womb, poor sods.

Yeah, maybe so, but I fell sorry for a world where everybody has to mind everybody else's business too.

Besides, my ma smoked, drank too, when she was pregnant with me and I turned out okay. Are we supposed to herd pregnant women into "health camps" to supervise their proper care of their unborn ? Maybe we should just collect people's babies at birth and keep them in government operated nurseries until they're 21 while we're at it.

You could find other things to be more upset about. I suggest you do so.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

If I had a wife and she was pregnant I would be extremely pissed if I discovered she was still smoking.

You guys express shock at that statement as if its an "I'm the man and my wife obeys" kind of thing. I think in this situation a father to be has the right to make certain demands.

Off course as the father, you could also make sure your wife has kicked the habit before you knock her up

Off course as the father, you could also make sure your wife has kicked the habit before you knock her up

That's probably the best course. There are a lot of health recommendations for both women and men who are planning a pregnancy so that they are in the best of health at the time of conception. Healthy sperm are important.

If I had been as smart back in 1983 as I am now, I'd have done things much differently.

Quitting smoking alone is very stressful. If you add in a stressful pregnancy, it's even worse. I sometimes went a few days at all without smoking, but I always relapsed.

Still, as I said, my daughter was of normal birthrate and she had no other problems.

rl

There is no difference, she has the same right to make the decision to either abort that child or simply abuse her own body....:S
"According to some of the conservatives here, it sounds like it's fine to beat your wide - as long as she had it coming." -Billvon

Actually, in an adult women, she has the SOLE right to what she does with her body. Granted I am against abortion but lets face the truth, its her body and she is the one who still can legally do with it what she wants.

Still, as I said, my daughter was of normal birthrate and she had no other problems.

Eventhough my mother denies it to this day, she smoked during her pregancy with me. As most can see from my behaviour on these forums, there is nothing normal about me :P

I blame my mother's smoking habit....I wonder if I could sue her :P