How do you feel about pregnant women smoking?

I'm the child of a smoking mother. That doesn't mean that smoking is a good thing, or that I approve, or that I wouldn't try to discourage someone from smoking while pregnant.

But we skydive. I was skydiving while pregnant -- got judgments about that? People do what they do; you can try to influence them one at a time, but to just say it quite like that is, well, maybe a little too black-and-white.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

If a pregnant woman ingests addictive substances, the receptors for that substance will develop on the fetus's brain cell membranes. The child will be born with a pre-disposition towards addiction to that addictive substance.

Children who are born to mothers who smoked while pregnant are more likely to become smokers themselves.
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

It is when they've had the baby and then they go outside to have a ciggarette that really gets me.
If you can't give up when you are pregnant then what is the point?[:/]

The day I found out I was pregnant I stopped straight away and it was not difficult to do as my childs health meant more to me than having a puff. I did'nt even go near anyone who was smoking.

Shameful and they deserve all the looks of contempt they get.>:(

It upsets me, too, when I see that. I'm not being judgmental about expectant moms who otherwise continue living their lives; no, I don't expect pregnant women to encase themselves in protective bubbles until they gove birth. And this isn't the 1950's, where less was known about the fetal effects of smoking during pregnancy. But when I see/hear of a woman who, today, continues to smoke, or do drugs, or drink heavily, while pregnant, it does bother me. Maybe it's none of my business, but it bothers me.

I just saw a heavily pregnant woman smoking while i was out at the shops and it made me angry - i feel sorry for the child, they are disadvantaged even before they have left the womb, poor sods.

what about smoking with kids in the confines of a car or house. very selfish (or stupid) people.

rm

I'm the child of a smoking mother. That doesn't mean that smoking is a good thing, or that I approve, or that I wouldn't try to discourage someone from smoking while pregnant.

But we skydive. I was skydiving while pregnant -- got judgments about that? People do what they do; you can try to influence them one at a time, but to just say it quite like that is, well, maybe a little too black-and-white.

Wendy W.

skydiving pregnant is not smart either!

rm

Sure smoking while pregnant or smoking at anytime is not good, but to say that the kid is at a disadvantage right off the bat is abit far flung. My sister smoked during her 3 pregnancies. None of her kids smoke. One is a 250+ pound musclehead police officer, one is 4.0 wizkid in advanced school for gifted kids and he also weighs over 200 pounds of pure muscle and her daughter is a very talented artist who has also been scouted by modeling agencies. I guess if a person is going to complain about what another is doing, smoking is a good one. Yet, there are a number of things that could be jumped on. How about when you see a pregnant woman at McDonalds scarfing down junk food or a riding on a motorcycle or even driving a car. How about skydiving? How about drinking coffee or any kind of soda. I think the list can go on and on. I once saw a pregnant woman jogging. Her belly was going up and down like a basketball being dribbled. Damn, that can't be good. Truth is a high number of us, most likely, came from smoking mommies and we all turned out alright. Right? My mom smoked. I was born in 1960 before political correctness was en vogue. Anyways, I do not think pregnant women should smoke.
"...And once you're gone, you can't come back
When you're out of the blue and into the black."
Neil Young

It must be gratifying to be one who lives so flawlessly as to be able to judge others' actions so harshly.

We all do stupid things and screw up. I don't think it's harsh to look at a pregnant woman smoking and realize that she's actively, consciously and against the advice of everyone who knows anything about medical science, harming her baby.

Sure, it's her choice to do it, but if people think she's a bad mother for doing it, they're right.

you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel loquacious?' -- well do you, punk?

I just saw a heavily pregnant woman smoking while i was out at the shops and it made me angry - i feel sorry for the child, they are disadvantaged even before they have left the womb, poor sods.

I don't feel disadvantaged. I had a normal birth weight.

My daughter weight 8 pounds and 4.5 ounces. I did try to quit while I was pregnant, but I wasn't a great success.

If this were a post about fetal alcohol syndrome or crack babies, you might be getting a little more support from me, but as far as I'm concerned, this is a non-starter.

rl
If you don't know where you're going, you should know where you came from. Gullah Proverb

It must be gratifying to be one who lives so flawlessly as to be able to judge others' actions so harshly.

We all do stupid things and screw up. I don't think it's harsh to look at a pregnant woman smoking and realize that she's actively, consciously and against the advice of everyone who knows anything about medical science, harming her baby.

Sure, it's her choice to do it, but if people think she's a bad mother for doing it, they're right.

I don't think so. I think it's a poor choice, but smoking a cigarette while pregnant certainly doesn't make her a bad mother in my mind.

linz
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

I don't think so. I think it's a poor choice, but smoking a cigarette while pregnant certainly doesn't make her a bad mother in my mind.

linz

That's cool. I know it's certainly not the worst thing a pregnant woman can do. Even a few drinks isn't a big deal.

I guess my point is that it is a poor choice that negatively affects another person who has no control over it. If you asked me, "Which is a better mother?" and showed me two pregnant women, one of them smoking, I'd go with the non-smoker.

So, do you think it's 'wrong' for people to have such a harsh reaction to someone making such a poor choice for her child?

If you smoked while pregnant, would you defend it as a good choice, or recognize that the choice isn't best for your baby?

you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel loquacious?' -- well do you, punk?

well, the question is why smoke when you're pregnant? :S

You can apply "why" to nearly everything we do and don't do. Why jump out of planes? Why drink beer? Why ride motorcycles? Why drive a car? Why eat certian foods? Why go to war? Why, why, why? Smoking is not good for you but neither is a large number of things people do. Best if we all just get inside a protective bubble and then we can all be safe.:S
"...And once you're gone, you can't come back
When you're out of the blue and into the black."
Neil Young

I'm 6 years older than you. Damn near everyone smoked back then including doctors and pregnant women. We turned out alright. Didn't need medications for ADD and there wasn't very many fat kids then.

That said, I did dog my daughter in law about smoking when she was pregnant with my grandkids.

So, do you think it's 'wrong' for people to have such a harsh reaction to someone making such a poor choice for her child?

If you smoked while pregnant, would you defend it as a good choice, or recognize that the choice isn't best for your baby?

I don't think it's wrong for people to be so harsh, but I believe in the "let he who is without sin cast the first stone" philosophy. Making such a harsh judgment about something that happened in ONE moment--a snapshot without knowing anything about her situation--just seems pretty self-righteous to me.

If I smoked while pregnant, I would recognize that it was a poor choice, just like I recognize my other poor choices for what they were/are. Few of us escape life without making a whole slew of 'em....
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

Yes, lets put anyone with responsibility for children inside protective bubbles, and moralize over everything they do. Parents should not be allowed to skydive, of course, what if a parent died? Would be horrible for the child. Ever seen a pregnant woman eating at mcdonalds? My god, clearly she doesn't give a damn about her childs health. How about drinking? Can't have that. Walking in trafficed areas? No way, think about the pollution, can't be healthy either. All these things can be avoided... And how about people in a poor economical position getting pregnant anyway?

Point being that this is a question of drawing a line somewhere. What is acceptable and what is not? To quit smoking can be very hard. Maybe this one smoked alot and has now cut down, and you just happened to catch her smoking one of the few she NOW smokes a day? You are overly judgemental, I'd say.

If women were told that eating peas whilst pregnant was harmful to their fetus, then none of them would eat peas.

The fact is cigarettes are extremely addictive and the only reason these days that mums put their own lives at risk, and the health of their unborn kids at risk, is because they need to satisfy that unbearable craving they get when they haven't had a ciggy for a few hours.

That or they are just plain ignorant.