mattyblast

Should I Start Smoking?

Ever seen a hot woman in a bar (or at your DZ) with a cigarette in her hand?

Sometimes they seem beautiful, then they pull out that cigarette and they immediately lose every bit of attractiveness. Who wants an addict?

I think it makes them more attractive. It shows that they are more susceptible to peer pressure. So your job will be easier.
This ad space for sale.

Wow, what an inane question. I can't beleive you would make a joke out of something that kills every day. really, why would you voluntarily take up an activity that drains your money, offends people in the community with its first and second hand dangers and can be directly linked to thousands of deaths? Just because cool people do it? Thats no reason to take up skydiving. Yes there are some cool people, but do the benefits really outweigh the inherent risks?

Grendel Khan-The Official DZ.Com Newbie Forum Nuisance
"They sicken of the calm, that know the storm."

I think it makes them more attractive. It shows that they are more susceptible to peer pressure. So your job will be easier.

That is funny. I have single friends who look for the women smokers when they just want to get laid. Apparently it's a higher percentage target. (Just gross, but if you don't have to kiss them or get near their face or smell their clothes or smell their hair. Or at least leave and wash up before you sober up - then I guess that's alright.)

I hope that doesn't come across as harsh.:P

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Wow, what an inane question. I can't beleive you would make a joke out of something that kills every day. really, why would you voluntarily take up an activity that drains your money, offends people in the community with its first and second hand dangers and can be directly linked to thousands of deaths? Just because cool people do it? Thats no reason to take up skydiving. Yes there are some cool people, but do the benefits really outweigh the inherent risks?

Truth be told, I'm not joking, I'm not being sarcastic, and I'm not trolling. I've truly been agonizing over this. Directly linked to deaths, dangers of secondhand smoke, smelly hair, don't like to kiss them, blah, blah, blah... I appreciate all the Sunday School answers and "Ad" organization comments, but what still doesn't make sense to me is that when I go to a bar (among other places), I see beautiful people smoking. If I went to a bar and saw people smoking who had oxygen tanks with them and bottles of Febreze to squirt all over themselves, then it would all make sense.

But instead I see healthy people smoking. Attractive people smoking. People lighting up who are considered by the rest of the world to be living life to the fullest. People whom many horny people would like to be with. Shit, I probably won't start, but damn if this doesn't frustrate the piss out of me. Why can't somebody invent a fake cigarette that looks like the real thing but has no tar or nicotene?
"DOOR!!!"

I see beautiful people smoking. If I went to a bar and saw people smoking who had oxygen tanks with them and bottles of Febreze to squirt all over themselves, then it would all make sense.

Give them a few years. They'll have raspier voices, chronic cough & sinus infections, more facial wrinkles than normal, nicotine stained fingers to go with their bleach blonde club hair & fake boobs, and they'll still smell like an ashtray with bad breath. The O2 bottle with cart, difficulty breathing because their system can no longer compensate, inability to adequately absorb oxygen into the bloodstream either because emphysema or chronic bronchitis has developed, barrel chest & skinny with pinkish tinged skin or overweight & bluish skin due to poor tissue perfusion, poor circulation with hardening of the arteries, throwing blood clots to your lungs, heart, and brain, and being at much higher risk for just about everything in the book (e.g. stroke, heart attack, cancer) because of it will probably come later. All that because you want to look cool and fit in. Better get em while they're young.

“Smoke em if you got em!” :P

Truth be told, I'm not joking, I'm not being sarcastic, and I'm not trolling. I've truly been agonizing over this. Directly linked to deaths, dangers of secondhand smoke, smelly hair, don't like to kiss them, blah, blah, blah... I appreciate all the Sunday School answers and "Ad" organization comments, but what still doesn't make sense to me is that when I go to a bar (among other places), I see beautiful people smoking. If I went to a bar and saw people smoking who had oxygen tanks with them and bottles of Febreze to squirt all over themselves, then it would all make sense.

But instead I see healthy people smoking. Attractive people smoking. People lighting up who are considered by the rest of the world to be living life to the fullest. People whom many horny people would like to be with. Shit, I probably won't start, but damn if this doesn't frustrate the piss out of me. Why can't somebody invent a fake cigarette that looks like the real thing but has no tar or nicotene?

Do the easier thing-kill yourself. Use a .357.
Illinois needs a CCW Law. NOW.

Truth be told, I'm not joking, I'm not being sarcastic, and I'm not trolling.

shit, I was SURE this was a troll. No one but a 12-year old could be duped by such horse shit.

Usually if you haven't started smoking by the time you are 20 or so, you have wised up to the point where you can't get fooled by that crap.

"sunday school stufff?" WTF are you on about?

Just how old are you anyway? (I assumed you had to be 18 or something to skydive; i.e. past the point of such naivete)
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

And to think i had heard americans don't get sarcasm...

Heh, you obviously haven't met some of us who appreciate it as an art form. ;)

Oh, and do I get bonus sarcasm points for dating a Brit?

- Z
"Always be yourself... unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

I'm genuinely tempted to start. Last time I was at my favorite karaoke bar I bummed, and then puffed on a few cigarettes while I was there. I felt like I had made a huge transformation and crossed over into the land of the fun people.

it depends how well you can deal with the addictive part.
I had friends who could smoke just a couple a day or only
on social occasions. That never worked for me. A month
after starting smoking I was doing a 20-pack of cigarillos
a day (fully inhaling) because the regulars didn't have
enough kick anymore, as well as a lot of stronger French
cigarettes (no filter, of course).

After sometime I reverted back to regular cigarettes since the
stench and dirt of the stronger brands in clothes, skin and
rooms were unbearable. But with the weaker (US) brands my
consumption in stress times often went to three packs a day.
So after 5 years smoking it was time to quit (very painfully)
and I haven't taken a single puff in 16 years. In fact, given
my addictive experience I'm sure a single cigarette would have
been enough to get me back to three packs the next day.

I'd say skydivers are more likely to fall in the high addiction
potential category - as opposed to the more mellow characters
that are OK with the occasional/social cigarette.

Anyone want to recommend a good brand to start with?

Gitanes, papier maïs, no filter

Gauloises Carporal are also good

(again, filters are for wimps)

Cheers, T
Fear causes hesitation, and hesitation will cause your worst fears to come true

Eating Mcdonalds filthy food also kills million of people around the world , and that dosent make them close those disgusting restaurants. They even allow kids in there!!!!!!!!!
I dont smoke regularly but I like to do it every now and then, and that doesnt mean I smell bad or, have a bad breath , etc...
Shitty food makes people very ill , and that is costing millions aswell.
Anyway the treating that smokers receive I think it is sometimes just too much.
My hair also smells like jet fuel after jumping, my clothes stink after eating in a greasy restaurant...
Life has those things.
I dont like somebody smoking in my face while I have lunch, but I like to smoke a cigarrette in a bar or a club every now and then without feeling guilty for it.
Lucy in the Sky
http:\\www.skydivelillo.com

At least eating food is a natural act. Smoking is completely unnatural.

and it boggles the mind how this guy could be so immature as to believe that smoking is for "beautiful people" who are more socially secure.

Smoking begins with people who are socially insecure & usually less educated than non-smokers.

That's why the tobacco companies have to hook you while you are still a teenager or younger. They have to get you hooked BEFORE you wise up.
Speed Racer

First of all I think mcdonalds does exactly the same, hooks on small kids to eat that junk food. That is why they give away all those toys and other stupid stuff.
I also agree that companies try to capture young teenage people but that is something that all companys do if its an easy target.
I dont agree in that smokers are less educated, smokers are every where. I consider myself educated, with university degree, with a job, and I smoke!
Eating shit is a natural act??????????????? Im sorry but I cant share that. We are just used to that kind of food and it feels normal , but Im telling you its not! Smoking is not natural either ok but it exists and thats it.
Dont make me feel like a criminal for smoking a cigarrete once in a while.
Lucy in the Sky
http:\\www.skydivelillo.com

but it's not the same thing. Mcdonald is at least food. a bit high in fat perhaps, but apart from that, still food.

the way you are going on about McDonalds is WAY exaggerated. it is not the best food, it is high in fat, but it is still actual food. It doesn't "kill" millions of people. People who eat high-fat foods & not enough vegetables & don't exercise kill themselves through their whole lifestyle, not from an occasional meal at McDonalds.

Whereas the act of smoking is completely unprecedented in nature.

It is not the same thing at all.
Speed Racer

also McDonalds food isn't especially "filthy". The board of health does a pretty good job most of the time.

Don't forget our ancestors were eating scavenged gazelle carcasses that had been laying out in the African sun for a day or two. LOADED with bacteria and carcinogens.

McDonalds doesnt seem so bad all of a sudden.
Speed Racer