Icon134

I don't think....

What made you believe in the first place?

I don't know... I just did... I had faith... (I don't any more)

I get the feeling that you consider "not believing in God anymore" a bad thing, why is that?

see previous post
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

Yes, I have come to the conclusion that the belief system that I have practiced for more then 30 years (i.e. my entire life) is no longer valid.

Have you just lost faith in the supernatural, or do you also now think that all the teachings of your former religion are wrong as well? They can be two separate things, I think. For example, I'm not religious, but I still think that many of christianity's teachings make sense, like "treat other people like you would like to be treated" and that stuff.

Of course I disagree with many of the beliefs as well, but so do many christians; everyone just seems to pick the bits they want to believe in and choose their church accordingly.

wouldn't that bother you?

Well, in my case it would mean abandoning nearly 30 years of atheism. Most of the time that happens to people they tend to be rather happy to have "found Jesus". I guess it would bother me for a while.

Yes, I have come to the conclusion that the belief system that I have practiced for more then 30 years (i.e. my entire life) is no longer valid.

wouldn't that bother you?

If it bothers you, perhaps you have some desire to re-connect with your faith?

If so, try reading Mere Christianity By C.S. Lewis.
"Buttons aren't toys." - Trillian
Ken

I have already read it.

I guess I more or less believe that God (The Christian One) has forsaken me... even though I believe I have generally been a good christian.

What made you believe in the first place?

I don't know... I just did... I had faith... (I don't any more)

The doctor is in. ;)

Maybe you didn't actually have what the bible calls "faith"; perhaps you just had a feeling that you thought was faith. Faith is confidence, based on your knowledge of and evidence for the object of your faith.

Did your faith just kinda' fade away (if so, I'd say it was probably just based on feeling... or even habit), or have you recently discovered something about God (the object of your faith) that is now unworthy of your confidence?

I guess I more or less believe that God (The Christian One) has forsaken me...

Why's that?
----------------------------------------
....so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."

Did your faith just kinda' fade away (if so, I'd say it was probably just based on feeling... or even habit), or have you recently discovered something about God (the object of your faith) that is now unworthy of your confidence?

Nope... It just kind of stopped...

I think it sort of is because I'm around a lot of people that don't exctly believe in God yet have many of the things desire (that probably isn't the right term). I on the other hand have always tried to walk the right path (even though it is often hard) and find myself with out these things...

people are constantly telling me that I'll find what I am looking for (and what they believe I deserve) but I no longer believe I will.

knowledge of and evidence

evidence... wheres that?? there is none .. thats why its called "faith"

God(s) are imaginary friends for grown ups.....
-----------------------------------------------------------
--+ There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.. --+

a common misconception. Think of someone that really has your trust. What do you base that trust on? Just a hunch about the person, or a warm fuzzy? Or do you have trust in the person because of what you KNOW and have learned about him/her?

It's no different in a relationship to and with God.

I have already read it.

I guess I more or less believe that God (The Christian One) has forsaken me... even though I believe I have generally been a good christian.

I thought that the overarching point of Christianity was that you were supposed to believe that no matter how shitty God makes it for you on earth, infinite paradise awaits you if you can just get through it with your faith intact.

I personally think that is the biggest crock of shit in the universe, but some like it. There's a word for those people:

...I'm sure there is. :D

Anyway, one wonders why God would give some people a lot of shit and others a wonderful earthly life, if they're both going to get paradise afterward. Why does God make it so easy to believe in him for some people, and so hard to believe in him for others?

There are just soooo many glaring flaws in the whole construct, I stopped believing in it all in 6th grade, and then wondered why it didn't happen earlier.

-
-Jeffrey
"With tha thoughts of a militant mind... Hard line, hard line after hard line!"

a common misconception. Think of someone that really has your trust. What do you base that trust on? Just a hunch about the person, or a warm fuzzy? Or do you have trust in the person because of what you KNOW and have learned about him/her?

Ermmmm O.......K..... then....(backing away slowly...)

I was talking about "evidence" not trust, but as you mention it....

First off let clear one thing up :

All the people I know and trust are what i like to refer to as "Real" "People" this meaning that they actually "Exist". I know this because i can "See " and "Touch" them, and also they are able to "Talk" to me in "Person" not in my "Mind".......... can the same be said about your god??? the answer is NO

Because of they exist they have be able to demostrate that they are trustworthy, and thus gaining my trust...
--+ There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.. --+

There indeed is no difference between such a relationship and believing in a god; both are based on faith rather than knowledge.

Someone that really has my trust has demonstrated by his or her actions that they are worthy of my trust. Such actions can be physically perceived. Even with this physical evidence, the person's trustworthiness is not 100% certain the same way that gravity certainly affects all bodies in space.

I just believe this person to be trustworthy.

I know gravity sucks.

There is no physical evidence supporting the existence of a god. Without evidence, no-one can know there is a god. They can only believe. This is more or less the definition of religion; if you don't need faith it's something else.

I thought you didn't post in SC any more ;)

How was the honeymoon?

im trying not to, but sometimes i cant help myself.... i guess you could say SC is like Colombia's finest, you know you shouldnt, but once in while its fun to talk bollocks for hours to people you hardly know, or course without all the henious teeth grinding.... :P

Oh yeah honeymoon was awesome, apart from the moment I thought I was about to be eaten by a pack of sharks whilst surfing, however they turned out to be dolphins. 5 of them swam past me about 4ft away.. amazing.. glad they werent sharks.... ill mail some pics...