warpedskydiver

Replacement for the 5.56mmx45mm cartridge

Check this out and it works in all current 5.56mm platforms;)

Oh and anyone who has the connections... tell the bereaucrats who decide on this please! and be persistant our guys deserve all the help we can give, this will result in lives saved!:)

Not sure what we're supposed to check out....

What is the replacement?
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

Check this out and it works in all current 5.56mm platforms;)

Oh and anyone who has the connections... tell the bereaucrats who decide on this please! and be persistant our guys deserve all the help we can give, this will result in lives saved!:)

Not sure what we're supposed to check out....

What is the replacement?

see the ballistic chart I uploaded

where do you get that from it's nearly identical except it shoots flatter and in fact outperforms it

the 6.5 grendel is capable of penetrating armored glass @ 800m with non armor piercing ammo

it also has a longer MER and higher velocities.

please re-read the charts you need to compare apples and apples so use 123gr 6.5 and 147gr 7.62 as a comparison

if you use 144gr 6.5 use 175gr 7.62 etc

this data has been verified in the field

don't confuse diameter with effectivess

remember that it isn't just mass that counts but the fact that a slightly smaller mass that doesn't tend to slow down will result in higher downrange performance;)

there is a slight difference that is negligable however when using 144gr the terminal effects are nearly equal

you would no longer need multiple calibers so the net effect is the M60E3 is no longer needed and the FN Minimi/M249 SAW becomes actaully more effective and uses the same mags as a M4 also lighter ammo means more of it.

the best part of all is that the weapons while still as effective if not more effective are lighter in weight

in the M249SAW vs. M60E3 matchup the SAW is way more reliable and weighs nearly 10lbs less!B|

something else to consider, Your chart shows the stats for a 5.56mm round in 77grn. the standard issued round for US troops in the M855 round and weights 64 or 65 grains. I dont have the ballistic tables but soilders will actually be shooting a flater round but with less energy at further distances than what the cart listed for 5.56. There is a 77 grn (AA53) rnd issued to troops but its hard to find in your typical units. All that being said it will be some time before any current weapons systems are replaced, despite the rumors and testing being conducted. Just my two cents.

something else to consider, Your chart shows the stats for a 5.56mm round in 77grn. the standard issued round for US troops in the M855 round and weights 64 or 65 grains. I dont have the ballistic tables but soilders will actually be shooting a flater round but with less energy at further distances than what the cart listed for 5.56. There is a 77 grn (AA53) rnd issued to troops but its hard to find in your typical units. All that being said it will be some time before any current weapons systems are replaced, despite the rumors and testing being conducted. Just my two cents.

you will have to excuse me as I didn't make the chart that's from a MIL source at radway arsenal

M855 = 62grain and yes it has less retained energy downrange than 77gr 5.56 although the 62gr M855 ball ammo shoots a bit flatter...regardless both have little terminal effect which is the entire point...

weapons systems will only require that a current 5.56mm platform be upgraded with a new upper(M16 variants) or rebarreled and a new bolt to accommodate the ammo

the ease of use and re-supply of troops will be greatly enhanced as a result

it just sucks that we use so many different types of ammo I guess things way back in WW2 had the best idea... all small arms had the 30-06 (M1 Garand, 30cal. belt feds, M1903/17, BAR, or 45cal
if you dont count that weak ass 30carbine which was god awful and had trouble pentrating heavy winter garments.

weapons systems will only require that a current 5.56mm platform be upgraded with a new upper(M16 variants) or rebarreled and a new bolt to accommodate the ammo

Only require a new upper or rebarreling? Do you know how many millions of dollars that would "only" be? Don't get me wrong - I don't care for the 5,56mm - I was raised up on the M1 Garand - but no systems are going to be replaced anytime soon, especially with the war going on. I agree with standardizing all rifle/mg ammo, but remember the 5.56mm is a NATO standard round an we would have to convince our "Allies" to move to the same cartridge.

Something else to consider here...I deal with this for a living building ammo for uncle sam, by the way. From everything I've learned there's a reason 5.56 is used. They actually wanted a round that didn't have a bunch of range and too terribly much penetration due to the changing nature of war, you know, urban combat, risk of friendly fire casualties after penetration, fun stuff like that.

Another strike against a change any time soon is the issue of cost. It costs a boatload to make over a billion rounds/year, and it would cost even more to re-tool to make a different round. Anyway, that's my two cents.

Truman Sparks for President