rasmack

My first gun thread

Today was my first time holding a handgun.

Having frequented dz.com in general and SC in particular for some time now, I finally got curious about what it was with Americans and their guns, so I decided to find a shooting range and pay them a visit. Consequently I have just spent four solid hours shooting (and a couple of minutes washing gun powder residue off my hands). I've tried calibers .22, .357. 38 and 9 mm. The .22 was a strange looking Walther GSP competition pistol. The 9 mm was a Glock 34, and the revolver was a Smith & Wesson 686.

My major surprise was how accurate it is actually possible to shoot with a revolver. We tried an exercise with ten targets and fifteen seconds with a forced reload after shot number five. To my big surprise I was able to consistently hit all ten targets.

Oh, and in case you didn't read that between the lines I had great fun. :)
HF #682, Team Dirty Sanchez #227
“I simply hate, detest, loathe, despise, and abhor redundancy.”
- Not quite Oscar Wilde...

:D

hmm, well, I'm American but I've never fired a gun myself. but people on here got me thinking about it. In the Continuing Education catalog of Frederick Community College there is a course called Basic Pistol Safety. And they teach it in the evenings at Fort Detrick, where I work. hmmmmmmm.....;)
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

hmm, well, I'm American but I've never fired a gun myself. but people on here got me thinking about it. In the Continuing Education catalog of Frederick Community College there is a course called Basic Pistol Safety. And they teach it in the evenings at Fort Detrick, where I work. hmmmmmmm.....;)

It's fun. You'll enjoy it.

rl
If you don't know where you're going, you should know where you came from. Gullah Proverb

I wanna a gun! But here I can't have one :( I want one at home to shoot annoying intruders :)

I wanna go down to my local department store and buy my gun, but I can't here. I wanna then go to the shooting range and practise firing my gun. But I can't here, I am not allowed. :(

Gimme a gun, I want one.

Sometimes I am really jealous of you Americans :|
Dave

Fallschirmsport Marl

congratulations!

I know a man who has a standing offer to any person who has never shot a gun and/or who is anti-gun that he will take them to a range, pay all fees, all ammo, food, etc. and teach them to shoot. So far, every person that have taken him up on his offer has been "converted."

I miss Lee.
And JP.
And Chris. And...

Terrance, get your ass to school and learn to shoot a gun, dammit!

I miss Lee.
And JP.
And Chris. And...

congratulations!

Thanks. :)

I know a man who has a standing offer to any person who has never shot a gun and/or who is anti-gun that he will take them to a range, pay all fees, all ammo, food, etc. and teach them to shoot. So far, every person that have taken him up on his offer has been "converted."

Hmm... "converted" to what? It's fun to shoot. I don't deny that. However, I am probably still "anti-gun" in your book. It doesn't bother me that I have to document two years membership of a sports shooting club to apply for a license to own a gun. It also does not bother me that I have to be approved by the board of said shooting club. I do not believe in all this armed/polite society speech for a variety of reasons. If you want to convert me on that point you're going to have to let me shoot some really cool guns. Don't worry. I'll pay my own ammo. I'll even bring beer (for afterwards) ;)

I went to a shooting range yesterday to fire a few rounds after nearly a decade of not firing a single shot. Unfortunately they were out of .22 ammo, the price I would've paid was more than twice what was displayed on their price list and the guns looked like leftovers from WWII.

I didn't need to shoot that badly. I'll try again in another 8 years. :P

Target shooting is great fun and relatively inexpensive. I am a big .22 fan myself. It's cheap ammo and with the right pistol or revolver you can drive tacks at 50'( a little parctice helps) I personally like the the Ruger 22/45 with the bull barrell or the Ruger Single Six.
Don't get me wrong I've owned my share of 9mm and .357's, but they can be expensive to feed if you shoot a lot. Have fun!!
L.A.S.T. #24
Co-Founder Biscuit Brothers Freefly Team
Electric Toaster #3
Co-Founder Team Non Sequitor
Co-Founder Team Happy Sock

in reply to "I realize that the precision and capacity of a 9mm automatic surpasses that of a revolver,"

You usually have to pay a lot to get an automatic that's more precise than most modern revolvers.
In general revolvers are renown for their inherent accuracy over auto's.

That said a decent CZ 75 V's a old bucket at 100 yards. CZ wins every time.:ph34r:

in reply to "I realize that the precision and capacity of a 9mm automatic surpasses that of a revolver,"

You usually have to pay a lot to get an automatic that's more precise than most modern revolvers.
In general revolvers are renown for their inherent accuracy over auto's.

I was shooting double action. I suppose that shooting single action with the revolver would improve on the accuracy. Oh, and shooting single-hand with .357 rounds is just a bad idea... :D

in reply to "shooting single-hand with .357 rounds is just a bad idea... "

Like a lot of things you kinda get used to it after a while . As long as you've got good ear protection and good technique the recoil issue sorts itself out.

Then you'll be reaching for a 44mag or more;)

in reply to "They are illegal in Denmark for civilian use. "

I think they're illegal in most of the civilised world as well.

As a rifle calibre the 44 mag is almost anemic compared to a lot of .30 rifle rounds .
Good for short range stuff in the brush though.

Good luck! I think you ought to take the course, enjoy it, and learn from it how to be safe.

I think it's a tremendous pity that such a course is not taught to kids in grade school.

It would serve many purposes, not least of which would be to take the "magical" allure away from guns so that kids wouldn't be so drawn to them, and to make sure that IF they happen across them, they at least know how to not injure or kill themselves or others accidentally.

But no, we have an anti-gun culture that insists that we keep kids IGNORANT about guns -- the same ones who say it's wrong to not teach kids about sex in school so that they can handle it without unintended pregnancy, or spreading diseases. :S

rasmack, I'm glad you enjoyed your shooting experience.

For further practice, load the .22 revolver with only one or two shots, don't look at which chamber you close the cylinder on, and then fire it. You'll get to see how much you do or don't flinch when the trigger breaks. It's a good drill to try to eliminate flinching.

-
-Jeffrey
"With tha thoughts of a militant mind... Hard line, hard line after hard line!"

i've made a point to educate my kids as they've become old enough to learn safe gun handling skills. the two older ones, 9 and 7, already know how to handle dad's pistols. they can recite from memory the 4 pillars of gun safety.

*always keep your finger off the trigger until you're ready to shoot

*always act as if the gun is loaded

*never point a gun at anything you're not willing to shoot/destroy/kill

*know what is behind your target(s)

They also have learned how to shoot bb guns and real bow and arrows and will move up to .22's as they mature.

It's that important.

I miss Lee.
And JP.
And Chris. And...

For further practice, load the .22 revolver with only one or two shots, don't look at which chamber you close the cylinder on, and then fire it. You'll get to see how much you do or don't flinch when the trigger breaks. It's a good drill to try to eliminate flinching.

Yup. I tried it. Had a noticeable downwards flinch :)