Stusmooth

Volt 185 vs Spectre 190?

I have been jumping my 190 Spectre for about 200 jumps and love the soft openings but was looking for more flare and glide from a long spot. I have jumped a Sabre 2 a few times and a Sabre 1 one time that hurt. The price on the Volts are cheaper but do they compare to Sabre 2s or even a Safire? I am going to demo a Volt in the next week or so.

I had about 200 jumps on a Volt 185 loaded at 1.0 and 50 on a Volt 170 loaded at ~1.1. The 185 had weird openings- 300ft openings if I left the nose be and 800 if I split rolled the nose, and ok-ish flare (just enough to stand up on a no wind day). OTOH, the 170 had 800ft openings without doing anything to the nose and a very strong flare. Not sure why that's the case. They both had good glide for a 9cell and a flatter glide if you compare it to a 7cell Spectre. Openings on both of them are prone to off headings though, but I didn't have a mal/cutaway on either of them. IMO they are good beginner-intermediate canopies that do their job just fine. However, if you're looking for one just for the price, get a Sabre 2 or Safire 2. because the resale value for a Volt is shit compared to a Sabre 2. After my 2 Volts, I switched to Safire2 and Sabre 2's loaded at higher wingloadings, but I believe you won't go wrong with the Volt when loaded conservatively.

Thanks. A friend is a Volt dealer so that's why I was going to demo that. I loved the way the Sabre 2 flew and haven't tried a Saffire 2 yet but this is going to be my canopy for many jumps. I guess this is something I don't need to worry about the cost especially if it holds it's resale value. I am a retired moto racer and I have had a lot of injuries so I don't want any 300ft openings or any hard openings. I have been packing my rig since I purchased it after aff so I understand how easy and forgiving the Spectre 7 cell is. I packed a cutaway on my 100th jump. I have a lot to learn! I would just love to have a little more flare and the flatter glide would be a plus. I have taken Flight 1 101,102 and a few coached jumps with Jeannie and Curt with my Spectre but I still would like more flare. My container is a Mirage G3 with less than 400 jumps.

Stusmooth

Thanks. A friend is a Volt dealer so that's why I was going to demo that. I loved the way the Sabre 2 flew and haven't tried a Saffire 2 yet but this is going to be my canopy for many jumps. I guess this is something I don't need to worry about the cost especially if it holds it's resale value. I am a retired moto racer and I have had a lot of injuries so I don't want any 300ft openings or any hard openings. I have been packing my rig since I purchased it after aff so I understand how easy and forgiving the Spectre 7 cell is. I packed a cutaway on my 100th jump. I have a lot to learn! I would just love to have a little more flare and the flatter glide would be a plus. I have taken Flight 1 101,102 and a few coached jumps with Jeannie and Curt with my Spectre but I still would like more flare. My container is a Mirage G3 with less than 400 jumps.

I bought a custom 170 Storm a couple of years ago. I think alot of folks would agree that a two stage flare works nice on these two models.

I have ~340 jumps on my Spectre 230 @ 1.1 loading. PD characterizes its glide as "flat" and I would agree with that. Returning from a long spot has never been an issue for me.

As for the flare, do you have your toggles at the default factory setting? I shortened mine by 1" to get a better flare (talk to a rigger before doing this). I also tend to use double fronts on final to pick up a bit of extra speed. With that, I don't find the flare lacking at all. I demoed Storm 210 in September (and 230 a couple of years ago), which PD claims has a stronger flare, but I really didn't feel that much of a difference. It's stronger because of the steeper glide, but I could achieve the same effect with front risers on the Spectre, so it's more about finding the right technique.

Riser length is another thing to consider. Longer risers move the toggles up, which means you can pull them down a few more inches.

The toggles are factory set. I can and have completely stalled easily just with toggles but I do have monkey arms. And on no to low wind days I do use my front risers a little and it helps my flare. I just want more flare like a Sabre 2 that can stop you on a no wind day. But I am a ex moto racer and I love the Spectre soft opening but running out no wind day landings are getting old. I have considered a Storm but two of my friends have them and they aren't that much different from a Spectre. I have talked to our riggers and they tell me Sabre 2 and Saffire 2s have more flare...But a friend dealer wants me to try a Volt they have. My riggers don't have anything to say about them. I just don't want any hard openings!! I guess I could fly a new Storm and see how it flies. My much larger military friend has a newer 230 Storm that he wants to sell because he wants something different. He has over 4000 jumps. I haven't thought about riser length! But like you said its a technique but a Spectre is designed different than a Sabre 2. Thanks for all of the info.

Do yourself a favor and demo the canopy, demo all the canopies you are interested in and then make an informed decision for yourself on openings/flight/flare etc. everyone is entitled to their opinions but the only way to really know is to try it yourself.
Fly Your Soul, Free Your Mind!

I've demoed the Volt 210 loaded at 1.1, it had snappy turns and was quite responsive. Fast openings that were somewhat shaky, but nothing too bad.

To those who flew Safire 2 or Sabre 2, how is the trim compared to the Volt? I think the Volt is a very responsive canopy. Light riser pressure and harness steering was new to me. The flare was strong.

I don't know why the Pilot isn't on your list. Great openings, flat glide, very responsive toggles and flare for days. The Sabre 2, by comparison, was trimmed steeper but felt sluggish compared to the Pilot to me. If you're a front rider jockey trying to start a swoop progression, then maybe Sabre 2 is your bet, but otherwise I would definitely recommend you try a Pilot. 2 week demo costs you $90 (basically covers shipping round trip).

http://www.flyaerodyne.com/canopies/pilot/

I don't know why the Pilot isn't on your list.

A quick count of the listings in the Gear section shows 185 different canopies (granted, some are reserves) out there. If the dude is interested in a Volt Vs Spectre, then he (or she) is interested in a Volt Vs Spectre and 'what about' opinions don't help much.
=========Shaun ==========