Tigerfly

Reserve size

Bought my first rig. Still few jumps from license so won't be jumping for couple weeks but...168 main and 150 reserve. I weight 133, so that puts my wing loading for the reserve at 1.05. Am I making a huge mistake? when I was heavier a few months ago, I was jumping a main at 0.97 okay. Is it that huge of a jump between 0.97 that I just shouldn't go there? [:/]

If you're nervous about it the answer is always yes, it's too small. Less canopy and shorter lines (plus it's a canopy you've never flown before) = faster everything (turns, flares, mistakes) plus everything will be new for you when you have a malfunction (maybe youe first one) and are already nervous. Remember that can happen on any jump, perhaps the first time you jump that rig - so be prepared.

Jump different rentals, try different sizes, and when you feel ready to try a 150, do so. Read up on what type of reserve you have and jump the canopy that is closest to that design.

Ultimately, you will probably be fine. Statistics show us that we can do all kinds of dumb stuff under canopy or with gear choices or wingloading choices and most people survive. It's the broken bones that aren't always/often/ever reported that you personally have to watch out for. The fact that you have doubt tells me you are concerned snd want to be safe - so go slow, try new things one thing per jump at a time, and try to prevent a jump where you have your first malfunction, your first yse of your EPs, your first flight on a 150, your first time lsnding any reserve, etc, all in one jump.

Personally, my first rig had a 170 main. I had 100+ jumps on a 170 before I bought it and am comfortable with the idea of using and landing it any time and have no regrets and I don't jump when my gear makes me nervous (I need a new pilot chute so I'm grounded until I do that). 5 years later I'm still happily on my "first" rig, its probably going to be my only rig, and I'm choosing to upgrade my 20+ year old reserve in case it turns out to be crap (there's a difference between a reaervery that is nice to fly and one that a rigger says technically passes inspection). I'm going low pack volume so I get to upsize my reserve to a 176, even though my main is a 139. You will not regret being as safe as you think you should be.

Agreed, if you have any doubts about your reserve, go bigger until you stop having doubts.

My rationale is this: If I'm on my reserve canopy, it is very likely that I'm also: 1. at low altitude, 2. at a less-than-ideal spot, 3. in a high-stress state of mind. For each point separately, I would rather have more fabric (=slower decend-rate, more time to react and think) than less fabric over my head, and combining them makes that even more valid.

The only counter-argument I've heard so far is high-wind situations. You could be penetrating into the wind on your main, but going backwards under your (lighter loaded and larger) reserve.

By the way, I have a PDR193 reserve (WL 1.1), a Lightning 160 main (WL 1.3-1.4), and occasionally a Silhouette 190 main (WL 1.1), at roundabout 650 jumps. I have no inclination whatsoever to downsize any of my canopies.

I've had to use my emergency procedures on jump 18. ive also had to land a couple miles off and find a good alternative landing spot on jump 3. Worked out great. My instructors landed in a yard by a lake, which I knew I wasn't comfortable with. I haven't had a high speed malfunction (knock on wood!), but I do stay relatively calm under pressure. Just saying it won't be my first time under a reserve. Just a smaller one.

IJskonijn

Agreed, if you have any doubts about your reserve, go bigger until you stop having doubts.

My rationale is this: If I'm on my reserve canopy, it is very likely that I'm also: 1. at low altitude, 2. at a less-than-ideal spot, 3. in a high-stress state of mind. For each point separately, I would rather have more fabric (=slower decend-rate, more time to react and think) than less fabric over my head, and combining them makes that even more valid.

^This^ and another thought... if you are in ANY doubt about your reserve, are you going to hesitate when making the decision about keeping a questionable main (or hard pull) or going straight to silver??

I've pulled my own rig from service in the past when I could not comfortably answer this question (in my case, it was for other reasons, but the question and how you answer it for any reason is the point).

JW
Always remember that some clouds are harder than others...

Tigerfly

It's a 2006 aerodyne smart reserve.

That shifts the needle toward "you should not worry" compared to some other possible reserve brands/models.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am