Duckwater

Groups survey 20 ‘meanest’ cities for homeless

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10823343/

Fuck that....I am pissed my city, (Denton TX) which has basically outlawed standing dunk on the corner with a fictional cardboard sign bemoaning your self-made lot in life, is not the MEANEST CITY.

Fuck these dragworms. I had one ask me for money the other 80 degree Jan day with Help Wanted signs providing shade relief for his ass. I said "I dont give to beggars"...He said "Fuck off and die".....I said "Hmmmmm......My PPO deductible is $10 and I went to the doctor AND the dentist last week, and I paid for it all myself"......"How was the free clinic that I paid taxes for and the toothache you have in your tooth, cocksucker?" I then said an arrow prayer that I hoped he died, within earshot of his grimy self.

--

San Francisco?

Oh pah-leeze.

That's only because the homless have to fight with the panhandlers (who are on doll and NOT homeless) all day long. But this is also the same city that has Starbucks across the street from another Starbucks.

I remember having to stay at the Hilton in Union Square, no smoking of course, it's CA. But there was a special smoking area with air filters in the hotel because you take one step outside with a lit cigarette and you have to fend off the homeless and panhandlers with a broom.

Wow. Little Rock (my old home town) is No. 3. I feel very socially unaware, because I didn't know this. Kicks them out of bus stations even when they have legitimate travel plans???? That's shameful.
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

Wow. Little Rock (my old home town) is No. 3. I feel very socially unaware, because I didn't know this. Kicks them out of bus stations even when they have legitimate travel plans???? That's shameful.

Didn't you know homelessness was a crime? They're little satan-worshipers and scum of the Earth. I mean, someone who can't find work and can't even pay rent is just deplorable. They should be exterminated for garden fertilizer.

Next on Sally: Seniors on SSI and SSA and Medicaid: Why They Should Stop Bitching and Shut-Up and Get a Job at 9:30 EST, 8:30 Central.

The topic represents an interesting clash in ideologies.

In most capitalist/democratic models people are guaranteed the freedom and liberty to pursue their own happiness, and in turn responsible for succeeding (or failing) and the attached consequences.

In most centrally planned/dictatorial models people are guaranteed certain physical comforts like food, shelter & clothing (though the promise is rarely kept for the full 100% of the population) but get no promnise about liberty and freedom.

It seems like a no-brainer that freedom is worth the price of being responsible for your lot in life, even if it means those who fail are pretty much on their own. The sticking point for me is distinguishing between those that truly can't help themselves and those that have decided it's not worth the effort.

My gut tells me there are a lot of lazxy folks out there milking the system (and I have met a few). I wonder if there is any credible research into the quantifiable attributes of the homeless.

For example; how many are certifiably nuts, how many just low IQ, how many have mental disorders, how many have debilitating medical issues, etc.

I have no immediate answer or opinion. I have compassion for those truly in need, but too many bastards have made it very difficult to identify those in need, and they have burdened the system to the point of it being broken (or nearly broken).
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

In America, you are completely allowed to shoot yourself in the foot. And I agree completely with that.

However, there was this thing, called laisser-faire economics which we practiced in the United States for over a hundred years or so that seemed to work out dandy until the concept of the Corporation came around in the late 1800s. Prior to this, it took an act of legislature to create a corporation, at the time when legislators were more concerned about individual rights and not the interests of corporate shareholders.

It wasn't until speculation in the 1920s went out of control, collapsed and put almost EVERYONE out of work did we realise that maybe this wasn't such a good idea. We still need corporations, but some sort of regulation to keep the markets from redlining and killing off everyone's source of income in order to live. After all, citizens tend to get angry and upset when they can't earn a living... and they sometimes do things nasty like overthrow governments when you bring enough of the population down into abject poverty.

AUSTIN is on that list??!! I would expect Austin to make the list of the top 20 nicest cities for homeless... unless there have been some significant changes in the last 5 years since I moved away... When I lived there, it sort of seemed like the homeless capital of the world, but maybe the city decided to stop being so tolerant of it... (?)

San Francisco?

Oh pah-leeze.

I find this to be pretty ironic. San Francisco, youwould imagine, would be friendly to the homeless with their social programs.

And here's what's better - Santa Monica is on that list, too. Homeless travel to "the Peoples' Republic of Santa Monica" because of its reputation for programs to help them out.

One could probably also expect there to be cities noted as "mean" to the homelss to include such "conservative" locations as Irvine. Yet, it does not seem that liberal governments and ideologies make a difference with this.

Maybe San Francisco can pass a law banning meanness to homeless. Then they can say that "meanness" will not occur.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

French Revolution

Madame DeFarge: We have no monney!!! We have no Deegnity!!!

We are so poor we don't even have our own language!! Just a stupeed accent!!

"She's a right. She's a right! We all talk-a like-a Maurice Chevalier. Muh-hu-huh!"

Group: "Muh-huh-Huh"

My wife is hotter than your wife.

The criteria used for the ranking is bullshit.

Houston is ranked 7th worst.

And this is right after we just took in 100,000 homeless from Hurricane Katrina, spent considerable money feeding them, and canceling numerous conventions so that the convention centers could be used to house them. And we still have 25,000 of them hanging around in hotel rooms.

But apparently this organization is pissed because Houston doesn't allow filthy, smelly, drunken bums to sleep in the public library.

I have a solution though. We should immediately send our remaining 25,000 Katrina homeless people, along with our filthy, smelly, drunken bums, to the friendliest city on the list, and let them take care of 'em. It's the humanitarian thing to do!

Whoohooo! Chicago made the list!! #12!

I guess when the Chicago PD isn’t busy stuffing its collective piehole with more donuts as a prime contributor to Chicago’s position in the hierarchy of America’s fattest cities the officers must be out there patrolling our streets and being mean to the hapless homeless folks. It amazes me the outside world’s cataract view of our world class city. Sheeesh :S

Blutarsky 2008. No Prisoners!

I guess it all depends on how many times cops have seen the same damn bus ticket waved at them at "Legitimate Travel Plans" night after night!

Mike.

Taking the piss out of the FrenchAmericans since before it was fashionable.

Prenait la pisse hors du FrançaisCanadiens méridionaux puisqu'avant lui à la mode.

I'm made that we (Houston) were not #1... I guess there is always next year...

Wait until the free FEMA money for hotel rooms runs out for the hurricane refuges. I'm sure Houston will then get the blame for being heartless bastards for kicking these poor souls out onto the street.

(Even though they've done nothing to help wean themselves off the free handouts.)