lawrocket

What are the "worst" crimes?

Is there such an offence :S

While there are no laws regarding emotional abuse it does happen. Regulating it would be difficult at best....

Actually there are laws regarding emotional abuse. In New Jersey, for example:

http://www.lsnjlaw.org/english/family/dvhandbook.cfm

Domestic violence is not limited to physical or sexual abuse. It also includes emotional abuse. The following are some examples of common forms of emotional abuse that, depending on the surrounding circumstances, may be domestic violence.

Harming a pet or threatening to harm a pet.
Threatening to hurt or kill you or a member of your family.
Threatening you to prevent you from leaving.
Physically keeping you from leaving by doing such things as blocking a doorway, taking your car keys, or disabling your car.
Forcing you to go somewhere against your will.
Purposely or repeatedly following or stalking you by doing things such as staking out your home or place of employment.
Coming to your home uninvited or after being told not to do so.
Purposely or recklessly damaging your property or possessions by doing such things as punching holes in the walls, ripping up personal journals, tearing your clothing, or throwing things.
Purposely and repeatedly annoying or alarming you by making hang-up calls, calling your home or place of employment, or deliberately preventing you from sleeping.
Trying to control your daily activities, such as where you go, what you do, or who your friends are.

Many other states take emotional abuse just as seriously, with good reason, because it's far more damaging in the long run than physical violence.

rl

While there are various state laws regarding emotional abuse they vary greatly from state to state. There are a number of state laws that really need to be equalized from one state to the next. Spousal abuse and age of consent are 2 that I can think of at the moment...
The only naturals in this sport shit thru feathers...

WHy put yourself through it.

The psychology behind this is far more complex than you realize. Some women are able to walk away. Others die trying. Some are so battered down by years of abuse, they have no idea where to begin.

We are creatures of habit, and "the devil that you know is better than the one you don't" didn't become an adage for no reason.

It used to be that couples in domestic violence situations were sent to couples counseling. It is now known that this escalates the abuse. It is not a situation in which "it takes two."

I could write for pages on this subject, because I know it very well. But this isn't the thread for it.

rl
If you don't know where you're going, you should know where you came from. Gullah Proverb

For me rape is worse than murder.

I am certainly not downplaying the seriousness of rape, but I would disagree. Murder deprives the world of a person and of future generations. Who knows how many people will never see the world because of a murder.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

I am certainly not downplaying the seriousness of rape, but I would disagree. Murder deprives the world of a person and of future generations. Who knows how many people will never see the world because of a murder.

As bad as rape is, and even with all the scars it leaves, I'd rather be alive and facing my demons than dead.
If you don't know where you're going, you should know where you came from. Gullah Proverb

CELLPHONES!!!! in restaurents, movie theatres, libraries, and lecture halls. Obnoxious cellphone users ( particularly the ones that have annoying chimy ring tunes) should be summarily executed on the spot
My biggest handicap is that sometimes the hole in the front of my head operates a tad bit faster than the grey matter contained within.

WHy put yourself through it.

The psychology behind this is far more complex than you realize. Some women are able to walk away. Others die trying. Some are so battered down by years of abuse, they have no idea where to begin.

We are creatures of habit, and "the devil that you know is better than the one you don't" didn't become an adage for no reason.

It used to be that couples in domestic violence situations were sent to couples counseling. It is now known that this escalates the abuse. It is not a situation in which "it takes two."

I could write for pages on this subject, because I know it very well. But this isn't the thread for it.

rl

And then you have women who bottle up their rage and then explode. Remember the dentists wife in Houston who was so pissed off at her husband she ran him over with her brand new car, repeatedly? You go girl!

I disagree too, but not for the, "Oh, woe is the world, what if this dead guy's great-great-great granddaughter would have cured pancreatic cancer!" Instead, I mourn THAT person losing his or her life -- taken by someone who lacked the authority to take it.

-Jeffrey
-Jeffrey
"With tha thoughts of a militant mind... Hard line, hard line after hard line!"

And then you have women who bottle up their rage and then explode. Remember the dentists wife in Houston who was so pissed off at her husband she ran him over with her brand new car, repeatedly? You go girl!

Based on the news reports, this woman didn't bottle up her rage at all. She let it all out, and then she went over the top anyway. :S

I made a mistake in not writing the first paragraph more carefully. It was not my intention to imply that only women are abused. We focus on women as victims of domestic violence because they represent the largest segment of that population, but there is no doubt that there are men in abusive situations as well.

I still don't understand what your point was with the example you gave. It doesn't seem to have much to do with anything.

rl

Worst crimes.????

Genocidal meglomania.
Malevolent totalitarianism,
Environmental crimes ,
Wilful spreading of disease ,
Wilful spreading of misinformation ,
Allowing people to die from hunger and disease for economic reasons,

:(

I was thinking of a situation where one crime is magnified by repetition. The holocaust is viewed as so evil because it is murder-repeated.

What about robbery? If I rob a gas station for $20, I go to jail for years. In Florida, that crime with a gun gets you 10 years immediately.

Robbery times 17,000? Enron. The CEO of Enron cost 17,000 people their jobs (worth $40K a year each, do the math).

Many people invested their life savings and they will spend their retirement years in poverty.

Many competitive decisions were made based on Enron. Some companies like AT&T will never recover. More lives destroyed.
MCI...
Trunk-lines sold to out-sourcing companies...

"Business is War" The object of business, or war, is to acquire the assets of the enemy. If the enemy is within, the crime is treason.

The impact has just as destructive to the American economy and the lives of the people. Those bastards should get the death penalty in my view.

It has been estimated the the S&L scandal added $15K to the national debt for every American.

"Stand against the wall here sir..."

What are the worst crimes out there? Heck, list them in order.

Well...what does society think. According to the severity of punishment the order should be

worst crime = drugs
least bad = child molestation

It amazes me that child molestation is at the top of most people's lists, and I don't see anything about drugs on any. Yet people are imprisoned for life for posessing drugs, while child molesters typically don't even lose their children, let alone spend time in jail.

If that doesn't point out how messed up our system of laws is these days, I don't know what does.

EDIT:

By the way...this is my one and only post for the fiscal quarter ;) See y'all later.

Negligent homicide-manslaughter caused by alcohol-drugs.

How does the involvement of alcohol and/or drugs make it worse? If I cause a head-on accident and kill someone, does it really matter whether it was caused by my a) talking on the phone, b) falling asleep, or c) being drunk?

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

You got no business getting behind a wheel with booze-drugs in your system.

It is worse if the person is a repeat offender.
"According to some of the conservatives here, it sounds like it's fine to beat your wide - as long as she had it coming." -Billvon

However personally I would think that it would be easier to get over molestation and heal from its side effects then rape. Rape is usually much more aggessive physically where as often times molestation is done under different circumstances surronding the way they perform the crime.

Just to offer a counterpoint. Both rape victims and molested children have to deal with the fact that they encountered evil incarnate, sexually. However the rape victim may rationally conclude that her attacker was more powerful and there was nothing she could do, while the victim of molestation may be forever haunted by the fact that they were tricked/misled/played along. It does seem to me that both parties will probably have permanent emotional scars as a result of those crimes, but the rape victim may someday find solace in her innocence whereas the child may always feel partially guilty. Then again, I could see both of those going the other way...the rape victim blaming herself and the child accepting that he/she couldn't have known better. Who knows, both suck.

Blues,
Dave
(drink Mountain Dew)

You got no business getting behind a wheel with booze-drugs in your system.

It is worse if the person is a repeat offender.

You didn't answer my question. How does the booze-drugs make it worse?

Blues,
Dave
(drink Mountain Dew)

Do I need to point you where plenty of studies say that boozing and driving are not such a good idea?

No. I think that killing people is bad in general, and I'm just curious why you think that doing it for one reason is worse than doing it for another. Talking on the cell phone and driving is not such a good idea. Driving on zero sleep in 24 hours is not such a good idea. Driving after a 12-pack of beer is not such a good idea. Why do you think the last one is worse?

Blues,
Dave
(drink Mountain Dew)

However personally I would think that it would be easier to get over molestation and heal from its side effects then rape.

I didn't see this until Dave quoted you.

Being molested as a child is worse than being raped as an adult.

Just IMO, of course.

rl

Well for one, the latter is illegal, and while talking on a phone or driving while tired do impair your reaction time/ability to pay attention, neither remotely comes close to the physical state and total lack of reaction time/ability to pay attention that comes w/ slamming a 12 pack and driving. If people can't understand that, then they lack what we like to call common sense and an IQ above 69.

Sorry Dave did not see the post until today, but I would say that basically is being impaired, the person who illegally gets behind the wheel and does so with pre-meditation. It's easy to stop drinking and not do drugs and stop drinking if you know you need to drive.

The talking on the phone, and not sleeping is just about common sense, and the legality of it is that you can get a ticket without it being a major offense, unless of course you kill someone.
"According to some of the conservatives here, it sounds like it's fine to beat your wide - as long as she had it coming." -Billvon