lawrocket

What are the "worst" crimes?

Every now and then, I'll hear people say that crimes like rape, child molestation, etc., are the worst crimes because of the lingering mental scars. Others think murder is the worst. Still others find hate crimes to be pretty dern bad.

(Let's leave genocide, going to war and voting Republican out of this conversation).

What are the worst crimes out there? Heck, list them in order. I'm interested to see what people think.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

I forgot to add:

Murder (in all degrees including attempted)
Child molestation-rape (consider them about equal, as one is for minors)
Negligent homicide-manslaughter caused by alcohol-drugs.
"According to some of the conservatives here, it sounds like it's fine to beat your wide - as long as she had it coming." -Billvon

Driving in the Carpool Lane
Littering
Storing baking goods in a suitcase
Needing the salt and lime when having a shot of GOOD tequila

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

theres a difference between molestation and rape... a BIG difference physically.

having been a victim of neither, i cannot attest as to which is worse but i will argue that the majority of the "damage" in either crime is psychological, not physical. I think the psychological aspect is why it ranks so high on the lists posted so far.

Oh I completley agree... thats why I stated physically, although I would say that both have similar and seperate mental ramifications just as severity changes such. However personally I would think that it would be easier to get over molestation and heal from its side effects then rape. Rape is usually much more aggessive physically where as often times molestation is done under different circumstances surronding the way they perform the crime.
Sudsy Fist: i don't think i'd ever say this
Sudsy Fist: but you're looking damn sudsydoable in this

Mixing up the food groups.

If I want a taco, I'll have a taco. If I want a pizza, I'll have a pizza. Who came up with, and why the hell do we need a taco pizza or a pizza taco?

Others that bug me:

Veggie burger
Taco soup - saw it at Don Pablos today
Taco salad - there's a trend here. People want tacos, but they don't want tacos.

don b - dispensing wisdom wherever the truth, and the mixing of food groups, is not suppressed.

Driving in the Carpool Lane
Littering
Storing baking goods in a suitcase
Needing the salt and lime when having a shot of GOOD tequila

:ph34r::ph34r:
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

murder
child molestation
rape
arson

Arson? That's just a property crime. No property crime is ever worse than a human-involved crime. I would put things like assault and robbery above arson.

If the arson involves death, then it fits into the "murder" category.

Arson? That's just a property crime. No property crime is ever worse than a human-involved crime. I would put things like assault and robbery above arson.

i'd say intentionally destroying ALL of someones belongings, personal effects, records and home is pretty serious.

yeah, it's just stufff. but stuff is important.

(in order)

murder
child molestation
rape
arson

Agreed on the first three, but I'm going to replace arson with emotional abuse in a marriage--whether towards children or spouse. It is one of the most damaging and least recognized kinds of assault.

People recover from a bad beating in a matter of months (most of the time), but the effects of emotional abuse are often permanent in the same way as are child molestation and rape.

rl
If you don't know where you're going, you should know where you came from. Gullah Proverb

Is there such an offence :S

While there are no laws regarding emotional abuse it does happen. Regulating it would be difficult at best....

Actually there are laws regarding emotional abuse. In New Jersey, for example:

http://www.lsnjlaw.org/english/family/dvhandbook.cfm

Domestic violence is not limited to physical or sexual abuse. It also includes emotional abuse. The following are some examples of common forms of emotional abuse that, depending on the surrounding circumstances, may be domestic violence.

Harming a pet or threatening to harm a pet.
Threatening to hurt or kill you or a member of your family.
Threatening you to prevent you from leaving.
Physically keeping you from leaving by doing such things as blocking a doorway, taking your car keys, or disabling your car.
Forcing you to go somewhere against your will.
Purposely or repeatedly following or stalking you by doing things such as staking out your home or place of employment.
Coming to your home uninvited or after being told not to do so.
Purposely or recklessly damaging your property or possessions by doing such things as punching holes in the walls, ripping up personal journals, tearing your clothing, or throwing things.
Purposely and repeatedly annoying or alarming you by making hang-up calls, calling your home or place of employment, or deliberately preventing you from sleeping.
Trying to control your daily activities, such as where you go, what you do, or who your friends are.

Many other states take emotional abuse just as seriously, with good reason, because it's far more damaging in the long run than physical violence.

rl
If you don't know where you're going, you should know where you came from. Gullah Proverb

Sounds like that would fall under our 'harrasment act' or certainly parts of it. Its sad to see women and men in domestic violence situations who when offered help and an escape dont want ti. One minute they aare shouting down the phone that hes going to kill her and shes crying, the next we turn up smashing the door in and they love each other again :S WHy put yourself through it. Ive never been there so I dont know, but my Mum kicked my Dads ass and threw that drunk fucker out B| RESPECT

Child murder/molestation..... murder/rape...... animal cruelty..........would probably top my list

Pretty much agree with you. For me rape is worse than murder. I would also include hate crimes too. What happened to James Byrd Jr is beyond murder, it's in a class of its own.