Sen.Blutarsky

Hajj and Modernity

With all the Saudis’ affluence wouldn’t it make sense to install an airport-like baggage storage system at the gates to prevent this recurring issue?

Hajj Stampede Kills Hundreds

MINA, Saudi Arabia (CNN) -- At least 345 people have been killed in a stampede during a symbolic stoning ritual at the annual Hajj pilgrimage in Saudi Arabia, according to the country's health ministry.

Health Minister Hamad al-Maneh told Saudi TV that 289 others were were injured in the stampede near Mecca and taken to hospital.

Many of those injured were not seriously hurt and have been released from the hospital, al-Maneh said. The number of injured does not include those treated on the scene, he said.

Video of the scene showed dozens of bodies lying on the ground, covered with sheets and blankets. (Watch the stream of ambulances and medics among the dead -- 3:32)

A U.S.-based religious scholar, who arrived shortly after the stampede, said it was a heartbreaking scene.

"Looking at the amount of ambulances brings tears to your eyes," he said.

"I heard screaming and I looked around and saw people jumping over each other. Police came and cordoned off the area. They starting pulling out bodies. The bodies were piled up. I couldn't count them, they were too many," Suad Abu Hamada, an Egyptian pilgrim, told The Associated Press.

Ahmed Mustafa, an Egyptian pilgrim, said he saw bodies taken away in refrigerator trucks. "There must be dozens of people dead," he told AP.

The stampede, like others in the past, occurred during the stone-throwing ritual in which the pilgrims stone a symbolic devil. It took place at a wide bridge over the desert plain of Mina.

Saudi authorities had replaced the pillar, which had represented the devil in the past, with an oval wall with padding around the edges to protect the crush of pilgrims.

Saudi officials had also installed cameras and dispatched about 60,000 security personnel to monitor the crowds.

The interior ministry said Thursday's trampling occurred when the pilgrims bottlenecked at the eastern edge of the bridge leading to the oval wall. Many pilgrims brought their luggage, which caused further crowding.

About 3 million Muslims are believed to have made the pilgrimage to Mecca, the birthplace of the Prophet Mohammad.

The Hajj has been connected with deadly incidents in the past, most of them stampedes that take place during the ceremonies.

However, at least 76 people -- mostly pilgrims -- were killed last week when a hotel collapsed near the Grand Mosque in central Mecca. It is still unclear what caused the small building to crumble onto the streets packed with pilgrims. (Watch rescuers dig through the rubble -- 2:27)

The worst stampede happened in 1990, when 1,426 pilgrims were trampled to death.

More recently, 251 pilgrims died two years ago in a stampede during the stone-throwing ritual. A stampede in 2003 killed 36 pilgrims, most of them en route to the devil-stoning ritual, conducted outside Mecca. In 2001, a stampede at the same ritual killed 35.

Every able-bodied Muslim who can afford the trip is obliged to perform the Hajj to Mecca once in a lifetime.

Making Hajj is one of the five pillars of the Islamic faith. Mecca is revered as the holiest site of Islam, and the Masjid al-Haram, or Grand Mosque, is the focal point of the rites observed.

The six-day pilgrimage ends with a four-day feast called the Eid al-Adha.

CNN Producer Schams El-Wazer contributed to this report.

Copyright 2006 CNN. Associated Press contributed to this report.

Source:
http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/meast/01/12/hajj.stampede/index.html

Blutarsky 2008. No Prisoners!

Maybe the "modernity" portion of this thread should be linked to the poll " Are women competent?"

Since most of us know women are not allowed unless their husband's permission.

Maybe is time for me to order a sammich....:|
"According to some of the conservatives here, it sounds like it's fine to beat your wide - as long as she had it coming." -Billvon

Do a little search, and you won't be surprised to find that women's rights are not that many under the disguise of religion, particularly in the Hajj pilgrimage.
"According to some of the conservatives here, it sounds like it's fine to beat your wide - as long as she had it coming." -Billvon

Do a little search, and you won't be surprised to find that women's rights are not that many under the disguise of religion, particularly in the Hajj pilgrimage.

you're right, I'm not surprised. it's just that your first post failed to convey a complete thought.

it sounds like the baggage was a minor issue. people die there EVERY year...

why is it so hard to wait your turn to throw a rock at a wall?

Exactly. I was gonna say, I hardly think that bringing a few bags is the principal issue, here.

I would think it's an issue of far too many people, feeling far too urgent a need to engage in a superstitious ritual.

If we could move beyond the need to believe this stuff, there wouldn't be a few hundred dead each year. How do the people in that culture come to grips with accepting this kind of thing every damned year?

-
-Jeffrey
"With tha thoughts of a militant mind... Hard line, hard line after hard line!"

A logistics problem: how to get 1.5 million people through set walking routes during the course of a week? A large percentage of the Hajj pilgrims are not formally educated and have not been subject to any kind of queueing disciplines. Add all this to the standard non-disciplned and inefficient Saudi organisational infrastructure...

Here's what I'm wondering:

Every New Years EVe there are over 1 MILLION people packed into Times Square. Add to that all the drinking going on (unlike the Hajj). Yet you never hear about people dying or getting trampled or crushed etc etc.

hmmmm....
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

because in Times Square they are not all trying to squeeze into one or two openings at the same time. if that were the case you would see the same kind of results. i seem to recall reading several reports of people getting crushed to death at Who and Rolling Stones concerts....

As for me and my house, we will serve the LORD...