christoofar

Employers Asking For Credit Checks

Umm, didn't apes figure out how to bang a hammer when given one among a few other tools as an experiment?

Haha... reminds me of a saying that's all too true....

Give someone a hammer and everything will start to look like a nail
I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. eat sushi, get smoochieTTK#1

...People who are in dire financial difficulties are more likely to steal than those who are not...
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Only if they are the kind of people who have not developed a moral aversion to stealing.

My own situation is getting pretty bad, but stealing is NOT an option. It won't happen.

But, on a larger scale, we're dealing with a society in which a significant number of people have been brainwashed into thinking that the schools should not enforce moral standards. Thus, there is less stigma associated with lying, cheating, stealing, etc., because moral standards which prohibit such actions are rooted in teachings which can be traced to "religious" roots.

Cheers,
Jon S.

...Not a bad stragtegy, but it's way too long.

And you don't want to mispell, "blatantly" like that...

DOH! (Homer)

Wow, I just noticed that. I'm sorry. This doesn't happen often. If I had a dollar for every word I misspelled last year I could buy lunch.

Never said I could type, though. :P

Cheers,
Jon

>People who are in dire financial difficulties are more likely to steal than those who are not . . .

Not so sure that's true. I mean, it's called by different names when rich people do it (embezzlement, fraud, misappropriaton of funds) but seems to happen with no less frequency.

>People who are in dire financial difficulties are more likely to steal than those who are not . . .

Not so sure that's true. I mean, it's called by different names when rich people do it (embezzlement, fraud, misappropriaton of funds) but seems to happen with no less frequency.

I would think the NAACP would be all over this one, except that (for now) these checks are mostly relegated to higher-end desk jockey jobs. Your average supermarket clerk is not going to get a credit check before being promoted or allowed to work that job, even though he/she handles cash.

Once this practice spreads to say, 45-50% of employers... I would see how this "lockout" is going to anger more people. For now I'm fighting on my own and just not giving my permission to have information I believe is unnecessary from being disclosed to people who I have no idea what THEIR reputation is for handling that information (i.e. trustworthiness).

People who are in dire financial difficulties are more likely to steal than those who are not...

Only if they are the kind of people who have not developed a moral aversion to stealing.

My own situation is getting pretty bad, but stealing is NOT an option.

Save Winona!

:P
Paint me in a corner, but my color comes back.

In a way, it is relevent. Credit reports will show how responsible someone is in taking care of their personal finances.

Except when their information was stolen and used to fradulently obtain credit, some one jointly responsible for the debt screwed them, they lost their job (when my startup tanked and the work I eventually took was as a contractor getting paid within 60 days of working, I made 58% of my normal salary thus increasing my debt ratio 72%), they had medical problems and no disability insurance, or they got caught up in rules they didn't know about (people with cards lacking a preset maximum sometimes show up as using 100% of their credit; some one I know reduced their credit limit because they didn't want too much and did a fixed rate transfer at 2.99% into a 5% CD which in turn gives them a percentage used black mark).

Only ONCE in the last 11 years have I had an employer NOT do a drug screen. ONCE.

I've accepted six full time software engineering positions since 1993, been acquired once, and had a handful of contracting clients. Never peed in a cup for any of that.

Before joining the real world, I spent two summers working as a life guard and a couple years as a student employee at the university. No drug test for that either.