Falko

Do you approve of Pope Benedict XVI?

wtf are you doing in here?

as for the pope: men running around in these strange suits always made a kinky impression on me. they look queer :$

but the best pic i found is in the link you provided, the one where the pope is walking down some stairs - man these red shoes really look gay :)
The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle

dudeist skydiver # 666

I don't care. Catholics have absolutely no influence over me. :|

Same here. I wonder if I will live to see the institution of the Pope gone and people starting to use their own brains.
The Pope and the church for that matter have caused enough pain all over the world.

Ich betrachte die Religion als Krankheit, als Quelle unnennbaren Elends für die menschliche Rasse.
(Bertrand Russell, engl. Philosoph, 1872-1970)

Same here. I wonder if I will live to see the institution of the Pope gone and people starting to use their own brains.
The Pope and the church for that matter have caused enough pain all over the world

Not to worry .. he is the last one..

http://www.ccg.org/english/s/p288.html

Malachy allegedly says that there will be another pope after De Gloria Olivae. That pope is called simply Peter the Roman. Malachy says simply that after that event the Terrible Judge will judge the people.

This is the end of the papacy

these kind of polls crack me up.

while it's a little interesting (but not too surprising from the respondants so far) to see what people think, it matters not one bit what anyone thinks of Pope Benedict's politics.

thankfully, the Catholic Church is not, and will never be, a democracy.

and the office of the papacy has survived over 2000 years from the time of Peter and many, many people have tried in vain to destroy it, both from within and without.

don't hold your breath for it to go anywhere soon.

me personally, I really like him. I met him in 1999 when he was still a lowly Cardinal in charge of the CDF. He's quite short, but very kind. He's not at all like the (liberal aspects of) media portray him to be.

I miss Lee.
And JP.
And Chris. And...

St Malacy's predictions are pretty interesting though.. dont you think?? This is the last pope according to him before the tribulation...

263 John XXIII (1958-1963) 107 Pastor et Nauta
(pastor and marine)
Hist.: prior to his election he was patriarch of Venice, a marine city, home of the gondolas
264 Paul VI (1963-1978) 108 Flos florum
(flower of flowers)
Hist.: his arms displayed three lilies.
265 John Paul I (1978) 109 De medietate Lunæ
(of the half of the moon)
Hist.: Albino Luciani, born in Canale d'Agardo, diocese of Belluno, (beautiful moon) Elected pope on August 26, his reign lasted about a month, from half a moon to the next half...
266 John Paul II (1978-2005) 110 De labore Solis
(of the eclipse of the sun, or from the labour of the sun)
Hist.: Karol Wojtyla was born on May 18, 1920 during a solar eclipse. He also comes from behind the former Iron Curtain (the East, where the Sun rises). He might also be seen to be the fruit of the intercession of the Woman Clothed with the Sun labouring in Revelation 12 (because of his devotion to the Virgin Mary). His Funeral occurred on 8 April, 2005 when there was a solar eclipse visible in the Americas.
267 Benedict XVI (2005-) 111 Gloria olivæ
The Benedictine order traditionally said this Pope would come from their order, since a branch of the Benedictine order is called the Olivetans. St Benedict is said to have prophesied that before the end of the world, a member of his order would be Pope and would triumphantly lead the Church in its fight against evil. While the Holy Father chose the name "Benedict", this does not seem enough to fulfil the prophecy. Nor is it clear how Benedict XVI (a Bavarian) is "Glory of the Olives". Since he is said to have remarked in the Conclave after saying he would take the name Benedict that it was partly to honour Benedict XV, a pope of peace and reconciliation, perhaps Benedict XVI will be a peacemaker in the Church or in the World, and thus carry the olive branch.

[latin] In persecutione extrema S.R.E. sedebit Petrus Romanus, qui pascet oves in multis tribulationibus: quibus transactis civitas septicollis diruetur, & Judex tremêdus judicabit populum suum. Finis.[/latin]
(In extreme persecution, the seat of the Holy Roman Church will be occupied by Peter the Roman, who will feed the sheep through many tribulations, at the term of which the city of seven hills will be destroyed, and the formidable Judge will judge his people. The End.)

these kind of polls crack me up.

while it's a little interesting (but not too surprising from the respondants so far) to see what people think, it matters not one bit what anyone thinks of Pope Benedict's politics.

thankfully, the Catholic Church is not, and will never be, a democracy.

and the office of the papacy has survived over 2000 years from the time of Peter and many, many people have tried in vain to destroy it, both from within and without.

don't hold your breath for it to go anywhere soon.

me personally, I really like him. I met him in 1999 when he was still a lowly Cardinal in charge of the CDF. He's quite short, but very kind. He's not at all like the (liberal aspects of) media portray him to be.

You know...
I read the first post in this thread, started to respond, and decided against it. I guess I'm burned out on this stuff. What I started to say is exactly what you said above. I agree. I'm not Catholic but I like that he's conservative and sticks to the book no matter how unpopular it may be becoming to more and more people who just want to have it their way or change the teachings to make it that way. I hope he sticks to his guns (figuratively speaking, that is ;))

I wonder if I will live to see the institution of the Pope gone and people starting to use their own brains.The Pope and the church for that matter have caused enough pain all over the world.

of course not.. far to many people WANT someone to tell them everything they need to know for 'eternal salvation'.. it helps them sleep at night..

"choices always were a problem for you...."

St Malacy's predictions are pretty interesting though.. dont you think?? This is the last pope according to him before the tribulation...

very interesting indeed. inspite of some who claim that the prophecies of malachi are forgeries, it will be interesting to see who succeeds benedict. after all, he's not a young buck.

I miss Lee.
And JP.
And Chris. And...

I wonder if I will live to see the institution of the Pope gone and people starting to use their own brains.The Pope and the church for that matter have caused enough pain all over the world.

of course not.. far to many people WANT someone to tell them everything they need to know for 'eternal salvation'.. it helps them sleep at night..

"choices always were a problem for you...."

now now, rans... ;)

I miss Lee.
And JP.
And Chris. And...

I do know the catholic church becomes less relevant every day.

To you and many others maybe. For this Catholic the church becomes more relevant everyday.:)
Chris

Maybe not relevant anymore for me, but it certainly gets more interesting every day. Thank goodness my most of my family was delivered out of evil by the Methodists.

I'll go hide now before the angry Irish find me. :D

No need to hide, I'm German.B|

Anyway, your thoughts about the Catholic Church in no way offends me. I realize we're all on different paths and that doesn't mean a person is bad or good. We all have our reasons for our own belief system and there is nothing wrong with that. As long as a person truly tries to be good, I think they're going to be OK.

Chris

Michael, once again Zenister has figured all us Catholics out. We really have to try to be less transparent.:P

actually you'd be better off working on your individual critical thinking skills..

but hey if you NEED an institution well.....

the "sheep/shepard" analogy used so often by Christiantiy is very apt...

the statement applies to Catholics as a group, those who look to an institution for answers and therefore do not exercise individual critical thinking skills.

rans, i'm sorry but your assessment of catholics lacking in critical thinking skills is incorrect.

you should read the works of some of the great thinkers in catholic thought.

try deiterich von hildebrand for starters, one of the 20th century's greatest philosophers. you'd be hard pressed to conclude, after reading his works, that he had deficient critical thinking skills.

I miss Lee.
And JP.
And Chris. And...