skydiverek

What is new at PIA?

What I've seen in FB:

L&B:
ProTrack II

Mentions of "Ares II", "Echo" and something else, I don't remember the name.

RI:
A MARD: https://www.facebook.com/BlueSkiesMag/photos/a.10154179571321922.1073741842.58074541921/10154179571456922/?type=3&theater It seems to be pin-based, but I don't see how the pin gets pulled from the pocket.

Cookie:
M3 helmet (seems like an entry level open face)

Icarus:
TX2 tandem canopy

SunPath:
Aurora wingsuit container (but it was announced before PIA)

UPT:
"Mutant" harness system. I have no clue what that is, but seems to be some sort of harness for rigid wings (ala Jetman) https://www.facebook.com/BlueSkiesMag/photos/a.10154179571321922.1073741842.58074541921/10154181789141922/?type=3&theater

NZ Aerosports split from their counterpart company and they both use the name Icarus at the moment, it's the new brand Icarus that has a new tandem canopy out.

NZ Aerosports designs their canopis using a whole bunch of 3D software and virtual physics testing that is way above my head - but that allows them to set the recovery arc exactly where they want it, for example. This technology was used on the Crossfire 3 and Safire 3, so consider both new, better, and more precise than the 2 series where they wanted to make changes.

Cypress Wingsuit model is out.

Mars M2 now has a changeable mode with more detailed display. Interesting that their AADS have 5 modes: student, intermediate, professional, tandem, and one I can't remember because it's 630 am (it's either slow for wingsuit or fast for speed).

Several companies are using/introducing VR tools for training. Mostly military applications because what dz can afford a harness set up that moves you around and let's you physically practice canopy flight - but we'll see some goggles etc for sport jumper training too (i.e. for EPs).

Very interesting. It is seem like a cleaner version of RAX. The funny bit is that in a cutaway it seems like most of the pressure from the lanyard is applied to the fabric pocket that holds the pin in place, rather than the pin itself. I guess great care was put in making the pocket stiff and hardened enough.

No mention of collins lanyard, and considering that the system can be retrofitted to old containers I guess that is not in their plans. Which is a pity. It looks to me like the best MARD setups out there are the ones from SIFE and SWS. Both pin-based, but with collins lanyard.

Deimian

No mention of collins lanyard, and considering that the system can be retrofitted to old containers I guess that is not in their plans. Which is a pity.

I thought the same as I watched the video. It would be easy to produce two versions ... but I think they have to pay a fee to UPT (patent protection), maybe this is their problem?

Deimian

It seems like most of the pressure from the lanyard is applied to the fabric pocket that holds the pin in place, rather than the pin itself.

The load is applied to the piece of doubled 1000-pound spectra that runs across the mouth of the pin sleeve and is bartacked to the bridle.

No mention of collins lanyard.

Collins lanyards are a response to the possibility of a premature opening of the reserve if the RSL-side main riser breaks/releases while the non-RSL-side main riser stays attached. The possibility exists for all RSL-equipped rigs, regardless of MARD installation. So how many such malfunctions have occurred recently? The number is not zero, of course, but it should be compared to the number of Collins lanyard-related malfunctions, which is also not zero. It's a matter of which risk you think is greater.

Mark

mark

***It seems like most of the pressure from the lanyard is applied to the fabric pocket that holds the pin in place, rather than the pin itself.

The load is applied to the piece of doubled 1000-pound spectra that runs across the mouth of the pin sleeve and is bartacked to the bridle.

Thanks for that, very informative.

mark

No mention of collins lanyard.

Collins lanyards are a response to the possibility of a premature opening of the reserve if the RSL-side main riser breaks/releases while the non-RSL-side main riser stays attached. The possibility exists for all RSL-equipped rigs, regardless of MARD installation. So how many such malfunctions have occurred recently? The number is not zero, of course, but it should be compared to the number of Collins lanyard-related malfunctions, which is also not zero. It's a matter of which risk you think is greater.

Mark

That's a good point. But I have no numbers to make an informed analysis of pros vs cons. Besides, and to be honest, I've never heard of a collins lanyard malfunctioning. What are the new malfunction scenarios that the collins lanyard brings? Do you have any numbers to compare pros and cons?

mark

Collins lanyards are a response to the possibility of a premature opening of the reserve if the RSL-side main riser breaks/releases while the non-RSL-side main riser stays attached. The possibility exists for all RSL-equipped rigs, regardless of MARD installation.

I think such situation is worse with MARD, because the reserve freebag would be pulled right into the main canopy. on the other side, with the RSL, only the reserve PC is activated, and it may go up a slightly different way, and not directly INTO the main canopy.

skydiverek

Photo / Screenshot please.

:-)

https://www.facebook.com/TheJumpShopLtd/videos/1234407213342139/

That should be a link to the video I saw. Hopefully it will work.

Makes the Jav Odyssey look a bit more like a Wings (based on a very quick glimpse).
Sky Switches - Affordable stills camera tongue switches and conversion adaptors, supporting various brands of camera (Canon, Sony, Nikon, Panasonic).

degeneration

***Photo / Screenshot please.

:-)

https://www.facebook.com/TheJumpShopLtd/videos/1234407213342139/

That should be a link to the video I saw. Hopefully it will work.

Makes the Jav Odyssey look a bit more like a Wings (based on a very quick glimpse).

THIS is best of both worlds (up and down):

http://sws.aero/en/products/fire/main_container/protector_flap/

Hi Deimian,

It looks to me like the best MARD setups out there are the ones from SIFE and SWS. Both pin-based, but with collins lanyard.

They both use the RAX System.

Jerry Baumchen

PS) I would suggest that people not post until you hear officially about any new MARD system. I talked extensively with the designer of this MARD in RI's rig. It was developed for a military rig due to a contract req'ment.

Deimian

The funny bit is that in a cutaway it seems like most of the pressure from the lanyard is applied to the fabric pocket that holds the pin in place, rather than the pin itself.

To me, the funny bit is that this has been staring riggers in the face ever since toggle keepers came into existence, and people started setting their brakes above the guide ring and ripping the toggle keepers off:D Replace the toggle with a pin (some have a pin, even), and allow the "brake line" to pull in more than one direction, thereby providing a means for disconnecting itself, and a new MARD is born:)
I like it- small, simple and clean:)