"Crash" the movie - does it sum up America's so called "melting pot"?

America, we hear time and time again, is the great melting pot of diversity. Then it becomes the great "salad bowl" where it's made up of unique ingredients that go together in the same place but don't necessarily mix.

If you have seen the movie Crash, what do you think in terms of it accurately reflecting the TRUE state of race relations in the US? I thought it was a great and insightful film, and although i'm not American, i have spent enough time there to see a lot of what goes on in this film.

Does anyone think that it typifies the state of affairs for race relations in the US?

"Skydiving is a door"
Happythoughts

what is a "true" American? just an immigrant from a different country i suppose ;)

hispanics and blacks will be the true Americans in a few years

I didn't ask what a "true American" was so stop trying to derail this thread please. I asked about the state of race relations in America and if the movie shed a true or otherwise light on this. Seeing as you are neither American and most likely have not seen the film, why not leave this post and go and reply to yourself again in the other thread i just put up on fast food.

"Skydiving is a door"
Happythoughts

No i'm fine thanks, I just don't want the thread derailed on the first reply, if possible. Go watch it tonight, see what you think and then i welcome any constructive comments you might have on the topic tomrrow. :)

"Skydiving is a door"
Happythoughts

Apparently you have an obsession with the US. That film, was not based in a true story, and LA is LA. Don't forget that the US is many times greater than the UK, and folklore is different wherever you go within its borders.

Basing your conclusion in one fictious film, in LA does not mean that the same thing happens systematically in all of the USA.
"According to some of the conservatives here, it sounds like it's fine to beat your wide - as long as she had it coming." -Billvon

Apparently you have an obsession with the US. That film, was not based in a true story, and LA is LA. Don't forget that the US is many times greater than the UK, and folklore is different wherever you go within its borders.

Basing your conclusion in one fictious film, in LA does not mean that the same thing happens systematically in all of the USA.

Dude, he ASKED a question. He also posted what HE experienced PERSONALLY. He asked what people thought about the movie's reflection of reality and you went on the defensive.

And I have only seen portions but I know many people like the characters. And I don't live in LA.
Why yes, my license number is a palindrome. Thank you for noticing.

I don't think i have any sort of "obsession" with the US, although i'm married to an American, so that might be why i'm naturally curious to learn and understand the country in greater detail.

I understand it's a ficticious story, but it's meant to be seen as something as a social commentary on race relations (in LA), at least that's how i interpreted it. From what i have seen of major metropolitan areas in the US (and perhaps i should have made that clearer in the initial post) the film was not far from the mark, and in some cases, hit the nail on the head.

I know the US is made up of what you could call "countries within countries" as in major differences between many different parts in all manner of socio and economic areas, but i think Crash does tell a fairly realistic tale, at least from what i have seen, of LA specifically, and major metropolitan areas in general.

I was wondering if an actual American could let me know if they found this to be/not to be the case, and state examples from real every day life, rather than, as you say, just what we see in a ficticious film (even if it is a slice of life piece of viewing)

"Skydiving is a door"
Happythoughts

I loved the movie and would agree that it accurately reflects on what's going on on the East Coast as well as.

However i hear that there's a huge empty space between East Coast and LA that's mostly white and boring. Nothing's going on there :P

bsbd!

Yuri.

"hispanics and blacks will be the true Americans in a few years"
________________________________________ I do live in the LA area[:/] and that is the understatement of the year. Pretty much the same everywhere in the US. Except Utah. lol
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

America, we hear time and time again, is the great melting pot of diversity. Then it becomes the great "salad bowl" where it's made up of unique ingredients that go together in the same place but don't necessarily mix.

I hadn't heard the 'salad bowl' analogy. If this was shuttlecocks and darts it could get fun.

Problem with this 'salad bowl' is we're combining peanut butter, raw chicken, and lettuce. The melting pot was a great idea (that we'd all come together and take the best of what each culture offered), the 'deconstructed salad bowl' (damn everyone else, they suck, I'll do mine and spit on the others every chance I get) will be the downfall.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I hadn't heard the 'salad bowl' analogy. If this was shuttlecocks and darts it could get fun.

Problem with this 'salad bowl' is we're combining peanut butter, raw chicken, and lettuce. The melting pot was a great idea (that we'd all come together and take the best of what each culture offered), the 'deconstructed salad bowl' (damn everyone else, they suck, I'll do mine and spit on the others every chance I get) will be the downfall.

Have a read of this for a simple explanation:

http://www.culturalsavvy.com/understanding_american_culture.htm

So, you're an American - do you think (at least what you have experienced, and continue to do so where you live) that you are living in a "deconstructed salad bowl" culture?

"Skydiving is a door"
Happythoughts

I take that as you have never been in AZ, TX, NM, Florida.

I live in the East coast, and am one of those minorities that the film try to reflect as being subject of racism. I never have had a single problem with the police, including a nasty divorce in Taxatwoshits (Please read MA) to a white alcoholic Irish ex.

I think you get what you put in the system.

And newbie, FYI, I'm an american.
"According to some of the conservatives here, it sounds like it's fine to beat your wide - as long as she had it coming." -Billvon

Does anyone think that it typifies the state of affairs for race relations in the US?

I'd say Crash does take a serious look at the state of racism in our culture, but since EVERY actor in the film is portrayed as having some sort of problem, it doesn't really typify the situation if it leads the viewer to believe all Americans, regardless of race, are racists.

I thought it was an entertaining and thought provoking film.

. . =(_8^(1)

I'd say Crash does take a serious look at the state of racism in our culture, but since EVERY actor in the film is portrayed as having some sort of problem, it doesn't really typify the situation if it leads the viewer to believe all Americans, regardless of race, are racists.

I thought it was an entertaining and thought provoking film.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but the Hispanic handyman didn't have any racial issues did he?

"Skydiving is a door"
Happythoughts

I don't think i have any sort of "obsession" with the US, although i'm married to an American, so that might be why i'm naturally curious to learn and understand the country in greater detail.

Not obsessed?

1) Fast food nation

2) Did the US win WWII for the Europeans

3) I wish the price of Gas in the US would double overnight

I would say that with these "subtle" threads you demonstrate a trend.

I understand it's a ficticious story, but it's meant to be seen as something as a social commentary on race relations (in LA), at least that's how i interpreted it. From what i have seen of major metropolitan areas in the US (and perhaps i should have made that clearer in the initial post) the film was not far from the mark, and in some cases, hit the nail on the head.

I think not, as I can be considered as one of those minorities, never had an issue with any authority, including when I got my Security Clearance. Go figure.

I know the US is made up of what you could call "countries within countries" as in major differences between many different parts in all manner of socio and economic areas, but i think Crash does tell a fairly realistic tale, at least from what i have seen, of LA specifically, and major metropolitan areas in general.

I was wondering if an actual American could let me know if they found this to be/not to be the case, and state examples from real every day life, rather than, as you say, just what we see in a ficticious film (even if it is a slice of life piece of viewing)

What is your definition of actual American? I'm US citizen. Or maybe you apply the EU standards when even 2nd generations are not really EU's?

I would not withdraw racism out of the picture, as there are all kinds of racism, in this country as well as in any others, but I can personally compare the UK and the US, as I have lived in both, and was never ever subject to racism as I was in the UK, in elementary school, so was my father, while in the London Hospital while specializing as cardiologyst. True story.

http://www.culturalsavvy.com/understanding_american_culture.htm

So, you're an American - do you think (at least what you have experienced, and continue to do so where you live) that you are living in a "deconstructed salad bowl" culture?

People are people all over the world. The cosmetic differences are not really important. That little essay was really an exercise in horrible stereotyping and is really offensive. I'd hate to see what he'd write if added in Harlem, or Chinatown, or other countries. Understanding culture and gestures is a good thing when traveling, fixing stereotypes is a negative.

The melting pot is an acceptance of being part of a culture. This deconstructed salad bowl is the negative consequences of this thing called "multiculturalism" which is being advertised as a positive thing but is anything but. It's really a barrier to a form or nationalism. Not Nationalism where everyone in one country thinks they are better than everyone else (I see plenty of this on these boards and certainly not just americans, it's likely one of the top three major themes in this board and initiated disproportionately by non-americans for that matter), but a nationalism where we can identify ourselves as part of a larger culture that is bound together to advance and be something better.

It's really permission to various groups to try to redefine the country. But not redefine the country by offering the good they bring and making it integral to the national identity, but to redefine it by rejecting all that we've done to date and to just replace it with the culture that they ran away from in the first place. It's a rejection of all others and an arrogant position that they are better. It's a fragmenting activity that defies synergy and integration.

You'll ask, I've lived all over the US and traveled even more.

"Multiculturalism" is just a word though, the application has been twisted by the lazy and arrogant. It could had meaning that tied to the 'melting pot' intent and been a great thing instead. I bet people argue here passionately about the semantics of one vs the other and how they perceive it. Maybe a poll - "Multiculturalism" is it helping the melting pot or hurting it.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

the OLD 1990s Cronenberg movie is:

"Since a road accident left him with serious facial and bodily scarring, a former 'TV scientist' has become obsessed by the marriage of motor car technology with what he sees as the `raw sexuality' of car-crash victims."

Very dark and intense.

TV's got them images, TV's got them all, nothing's shocking.