Fast Food Nation - anyone who has read that, or abstains from fast food, please read...

and maybe that's because I don't get your humor either

that's ok, I find Kallend and Ian funny in equal measures, so that's off the path a bit anyway

I'm a selfish SOB, so I doubt reading any book would change my life patterns one way or the other. (Except for Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - no way will I ever go anywhere without enough money for beer and peanuts. the Guide, and maybe "Go, Dog, Go").

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I pretty much live on fast food. I don't have a whole lot of choice of what I eat, being in school. I don't have money to spare for buying a lot of fresh fruits and meat and stuff, so when I'm at home, I eat out of a can, and when I'm at school, I eat what's available. The cafeteria food is horrid and bringing a lunch isn't really practical. However, there are many healthy things that can be found at fast food restaurants, and they don't cost much more than a burger and fries. Since I started school, I've eaten much more fast food, but I've lost weight. Without trying, I've gone from a size 14 to a size 6. I do a lot more walking than I used to, and I think I actually eat more healthy when I go through the McDonalds drive through, rather than opening a can of Spaghetti-Os at home.

Quickly, however, he moves behind the counter with the overworked and underpaid teenage workers,

This particular line makes me think that everything else the author has to say might be a bit over-dramatized as well.

Almost as disturbing is his description of how the industry "both feeds and feeds off the young," insinuating itself into all aspects of children's lives, even the pages of their school books, while leaving them prone to obesity and disease.

And this line too... I just can't agree with anyone who tries to blame the US's obesity problem on the fast food industry.

You mean you don't live off of the Rice and Bean Burritos at the Cafeteria? ;)

I eat a lot of fast food. Usually whatever is on a value menu. I NEVER get the meal deals. USually, a hamburger is enough for me, and there's no need adding fries and a giant drink to it.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

I read it 5 years ago, and instantly stopped eating BK, McDonalds and KFC. I have had the occasional Domino's pizza in that time, but i could count those times on the fingers of both hands over the 5 years. I used to eat fast food (usually BK or McD) once every 2 weeks or so, but stopped eating it not because of health issues (i was generally pretty healthy then and now) but because of my disgust at the practices of these companies, particularly McDonalds, at how they went about their business.

I know hating on fast food joints has been flavour of the month for quite some time now, especially with reference to Supersize Me, but i just feel bad because in the last 4 months i have broken down and had BK twice, both times when making the same 300 mile journey on the motorway and having a distinct lack of anything else to eat for a meal.

I didn't really enjoy eating it each time, but i thought "is it so bad to eat this stuff once in every blue moon?". Anyone who has read FFN, what do you guys think? Does anyone abstain (as i had for almost 5 years) from eating this stuff still, since reading that book?

Fast food beats going hungry. If I'm on a road trip and there's nothing else to eat I'll stuff a gordito in my gaping maw.

Otherwise I'll pass - it's barely edible, not cheap, and often not fast because of the long lines.

Five minutes and five dollars gets me three carne azada tacos (with real marinated steak) plus a Mexican Coke (in a glass bottle made with real cane sugar) from my favorite carniceria.

Five minutes and five dollars gets me three carne azada tacos (with real marinated steak) plus a Mexican Coke (in a glass bottle made with real cane sugar) from my favorite carniceria.

I'm going to El Loro right now. MMMMmm chimi's

better food and usually no more $$$ than a drive through place

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

(Back to the original question)

I don't think life is a series of absolutes.

No one is PERFECT.

You make choices based on what you feel/think is right and do the best you can.

Some people can do more and quit fast food entirely no matter what.

Some can do less and just feel a bit guilty at every big mac meal.

I think so many get their panties in a bunch thinking vegans and health nuts, etc. are portraying themselves as morally/ethically superior because many of us do portray ourselves that way. We hold ourselves to certain standards and then want others to recognize us for it.

If it makes you feel crappy to support the FF industry, don't support it. If you want an occasional happy meal, have it. Just recognize that you are then supporting the FF industry and get on with it.

Don't try to be pure or perfect, just do what is right for you.
:)
edited: unless you are an activist- then you better practice what you preach.

Action expresses priority. - Mahatma Ghandi

(Back to the original question)

I don't think life is a series of absolutes.

No one is PERFECT.

You make choices based on what you feel/think is right and do the best you can.

Some people can do more and quit fast food entirely no matter what.

Some can do less and just feel a bit guilty at every big mac meal.

I think so many get their panties in a bunch thinking vegans and health nuts, etc. are portraying themselves as morally/ethically superior because many of us do portray ourselves that way. We hold ourselves to certain standards and then want others to recognize us for it.

If it makes you feel crappy to support the FF industry, don't support it. If you want an occasional happy meal, have it. Just recognize that you are then supporting the FF industry and get on with it.

Don't try to be pure or perfect, just do what is right for you.
:)
edited: unless you are an activist- then you better practice what you preach.

I like this post, it makes me happy inside!:)

"Skydiving is a door"
Happythoughts

I like this post, it makes me happy inside!:)

Double cheese burgers are $2 at McDs

I think the most interesting part of the book is the pointing out that what has happened to the food indusrty is happening, or has happened, in most businesses. It's the market at work. It's kind of a race to the bottom with the casualties along the way getting very little attention. As the saying goes, especially in a mostly capitalistic society, money talks and bullshit walks.

Are consumers in on all the dirty little secrets behind this or most other indutries? For the most part no. Would they be willing to pay the premium for higher quality and more socially responsible behavior if they were? Hard to say, and I think the real issue this book raises. Witness that a number of people here have read it, and continue to at least occassionally consume the product.

I abhor some of their business practices, but I do buy from McD's or Wal-Mart once in a while. Sometimes the convenience and the need make it impractical to go elsewhere for utilitariian goods.
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

its a main food group to some people... mainly poor people ;)

It's expensive food.

The whole argument that poor people are "victimized" by the placement of fast food restaurants in their area is just bullshit.

It's not as though the powers that be plant them there to the exclusion of also putting grocery stores there.

Buy some penne pasta. Buy some fresh lean ground beef or turkey. Boil the pasta, brown the meat, and put some pasta sauce on it -- you have a wide variety of choices. Buy some inexpensive frozen spinach, broccoli, brussels sprouts. Stick that in a pot with a little water and in five minutes you have a vegetable side.

This is not brain surgery. But woe, the poor are forced to eat fatty, non-nutritious fast food. :S

-Jeffrey
-Jeffrey
"With tha thoughts of a militant mind... Hard line, hard line after hard line!"

I think the most interesting part of the book is the pointing out that what has happened to the food indusrty is happening, or has happened, in most businesses. It's the market at work. It's kind of a race to the bottom with the casualties along the way getting very little attention. As the saying goes, especially in a mostly capitalistic society, money talks and bullshit walks.

Are consumers in on all the dirty little secrets behind this or most other indutries? For the most part no. Would they be willing to pay the premium for higher quality and more socially responsible behavior if they were? Hard to say, and I think the real issue this book raises. Witness that a number of people here have read it, and continue to at least occassionally consume the product.

I abhor some of their business practices, but I do buy from McD's or Wal-Mart once in a while. Sometimes the convenience and the need make it impractical to go elsewhere for utilitariian goods.

Interesting thoughts, thanks

"Skydiving is a door"
Happythoughts

its a main food group to some people... mainly poor people ;)

It's expensive food.

The whole argument that poor people are "victimized" by the placement of fast food restaurants in their area is just bullshit.

It's not as though the powers that be plant them there to the exclusion of also putting grocery stores there.

Buy some penne pasta. Buy some fresh lean ground beef or turkey. Boil the pasta, brown the meat, and put some pasta sauce on it -- you have a wide variety of choices. Buy some inexpensive frozen spinach, broccoli, brussels sprouts. Stick that in a pot with a little water and in five minutes you have a vegetable side.

This is not brain surgery. But woe, the poor are forced to eat fatty, non-nutritious fast food. :S

-Jeffrey

Although sidetracking from the original point of the post, i do agree with this. In this country a whopper meal is about £5, which is about $8. You can EASILY buy a meal for yourself for $8 worth of groceries either here or the US.

It's the convenience for most people that draws them in, i feel.

"Skydiving is a door"
Happythoughts

See? This is a good thread with good conversation. Despite you and Masterblaster thinking it was a waste of time.

{{for the simple I'll add this too - :P;):S:S:S:P}}

Man, every time someone starts one of these threads about how bad the fast food industry is, I start craving a cheeseburger from McDonald's... Thanks to you, I've been wanting to go to McDonald's all day! I'm starting to wonder if they are paying you people to post these things with some sort of subliminal messages or something! >:(:P Hmm, it IS about time for lunch... :)

Ick, McDonalds burgers actually make me ill. I just can't eat em. I do enjoy their shakes though!

Anyway, I do agree that the poor people/fast food connection is convienence. When you work long hours to scrape together very little income, the last thing you want to do is cook something.

That being said, I also agree that making food, if done right is MUCH cheaper and can be better for ya.
Why yes, my license number is a palindrome. Thank you for noticing.

See? This is a good thread with good conversation. Despite you and Masterblaster thinking it was a waste of time.

{{for the simple I'll add this too - :P;):S:S:S:P}}

Oh why don't you just go kong your whopper!! :P;)

"Skydiving is a door"
Happythoughts

Man, every time someone starts one of these threads about how bad the fast food industry is, I start craving a cheeseburger from McDonald's... Thanks to you, I've been wanting to go to McDonald's all day! I'm starting to wonder if they are paying you people to post these things with some sort of subliminal messages or something! >:(:P Hmm, it IS about time for lunch... :)

word of mouth advertising is the best form of promotion around, don't cha know? :P;)

"Skydiving is a door"
Happythoughts

I usually only eat at McDs or Burger King if I'm driving on I-95 somewhere & I go to one of those rest stops where you don't have to get off at an exit & drive into the town to find a restaurant.

That's it. Except that about once every couple of months I get this strange craving for Popeye's fried chicken with the buttermilk biscuit and the red beans and rice.B|MMMMMMmmmmmmmmm!!!B|B|
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

Although sidetracking from the original point of the post, i do agree with this. In this country a whopper meal is about £5, which is about $8. You can EASILY buy a meal for yourself for $8 worth of groceries either here or the US.

It's the convenience for most people that draws them in, i feel.

Convenience, sure, but if you recognize that it is far more expensive than ordinary groceries, and far less nutritious than meals you can make yourself (even simple ones), do you have any excuse for continuing to buy it? Just because it's convenient?

You understated: You can EASILY make a meal for SEVERAL people for $8 worth of groceries. If I used $8 wisely spent, I could make a meal I could eat for several days worth of leftovers.

Only if I did that and was careful about where my food dollars were spent would I be justified in complaining, if I found that even budgeting more wisely food was too expensive.

People are once again, sadly, looking to throw blame and responsibility as far from themselves as possible. [:/]

-Jeffrey
-Jeffrey
"With tha thoughts of a militant mind... Hard line, hard line after hard line!"

I agree with Jeff here. If the argument is that it targets poor people, it's pure BS. A McD meal is more than twice as expensive for me than a normal one I cook myself. But the argument seems to be elsewhere:

Quickly, however, he moves behind the counter with the overworked and underpaid teenage workers, onto the factory farms where the potatoes and beef are grown, and into the slaughterhouses run by giant meatpacking corporations.

Overworked teenagers. Quit. Get a new job. Or accept the conditions. I work 60 hour weeks. I may bitch and complain about it but if I didn't think it was OK, I'd found a new job. If you can't find a new one, endure while you get training. Also, overworked people are found in all industries, not only the fast food ones. Go talk with yer local programmer who's competing with an Indian who costs 1/10th as much. If you find the exploitation argument compelling; step away from the computer. The industry relies on an overworked exploited work force.

Schlosser wants you to know why those French fries taste so good (with a visit to the world's largest flavor company) and "what really lurks between those sesame-seed buns." Eater beware: forget your concerns about cholesterol, there is--literally--feces in your meat.

If ape shit tastes like heaven and makes my hunger go away, I don't care it's ape shit. Gross, but true. Pathetic argument for staying away from fast food. You either like it or you don't. Personal preference. Oh, and the feces comment - it's not unique to the fast food industry. A little digging would make ya starve to death if you stayed away from the stuff. Well, exaggerating, but hey so are they :).

Schlosser's investigation reaches its frightening peak in the meatpacking plants as he reveals the almost complete lack of federal oversight of a seemingly lawless industry.

As opposed to the little cottage industry of proletarian comrades, working from their homes, raising ecological cattle that are killed by playing classical music. Because that's where all the OTHER meat is coming from. C'mon dude. And lack of federal oversight is a matter of getting the government to do what they are paid to do - their jobs, which include oversights and enforcing laws.

Must say the peak sounds rather disappointing. I hope the author tackles the problem of there being too few of the good stuff in certain candy packs next.