EricTheRed

How much do you hate your commute?

I hate my commute, I love my job.
I’ve recently been offered a job closer to home – Yea!
Pros: I will save about an hour and 15 minutes each day in commuting time. I will have more responsibility.
Cons: I will give up about $5,000 in cash and compensation a year.

It’s about the same job otherwise.

Care to discuss?
illegible usually

I work from home. My "commute" is from my bed to my home office. That said, I also work at client sites, so my commute could involve driving to a local client, or (more likely) flying to another city and spending one or more days there.

I have always been willing to give up a little in the way of space/quality of home for location and closeness to work. For me, what I give up by sitting in my car one or two or more hours a day is not worth whatever space I might gain in my house. I value my time more.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I’ve recently been offered a job closer to home – Yea!
Pros: I will save about an hour and 15 minutes each day in commuting time. I will have more responsibility.
Cons: I will give up about $5,000 in cash and compensation a year.

It’s about the same job otherwise.

Care to discuss?

If your commute was over 48 miles round trip and you get the standard 10 company holidays + 3 weeks of vacation, you're effectively making more money since the IRS considers the cost of automobile operation to be 44.5 cents per mile.

If your commute otherwise costs nothing and your time is worth more than $17/hour you're coming out ahead.

I find bicycling to an office 3-4 miles away to be relaxing and wouldn't drive an hour and a quarter for $20K more a year.

for a five year span, my commute to school - and then to work - was 29 miles each way. Of course, it was from Orange County to Downtown Los Angeles, which could mean I spent up to three hours each day in traffic (though it was usually about an hour each way thanks to traffic reports on the radio)

Then I moved to a new city with a new job. 5 minute commute. Then moved futrther away which made about a 7 mile commute. The problem was that there was no good way of doign that drive, and the street was horrible, so it could take 20-25 minutes to do it. I hated it more that LA traffic.

Now it's a 6.5 mile commute, but 5.5 of those are on the freeway, so in no traffic (like 6:00, which is when I leave half the time) it's about a 10 minute drive.

I like the commute. :)

My wife is hotter than your wife.

I'm very fortunate. Two jobs ago, I had to drive about an hour to go 30 miles in rush hour traffic on Long Island.

I moved to Florida, and I had to drive about 20 minutes across town from my first apartment.

Now I live one intersection and 8/10 of a mile from work, and it takes me about a minute or two to get from my driveway to the parking lot at my job.

The good fortune is not lost on me -- I do not take this excellent situation for granted (although the job could stand to pay a little more...)

-Jeffrey
-Jeffrey
"With tha thoughts of a militant mind... Hard line, hard line after hard line!"

My commute is a beauty, I have to travel 10 hours on train (normally get the sleeper train) from England to Scotland, then fly for and hour upto the Shetland Isles then get a 1 hour 30 min helicopter til i'm on the oil rig.

Still, I only have to do it once a month and get 6 months a year off work for the troubles.

------------------------------------------------------
May Contain Nut traces......

>Now I live one intersection and 8/10 of a mile from work, and it takes me
> about a minute or two to get from my driveway to the parking lot at my job.

You drive 8/10 of a mile to work?

There's a stat somewhere that americans, on average, never walk more than 5 blocks at a time. I guess I can believe that.

There's a stat somewhere that americans, on average, never walk more than 5 blocks at a time. I guess I can believe that.

Hell if I lived that close to work I'd be walking every day, if I lived within 5 miles I'd be riding a bicycle...
The only naturals in this sport shit thru feathers...

Actually, I just got a bicycle recently, and I rode it to work every day the first week... The problem is, it doesn't lend itself to installing a rack on it, and I need to be able to carry my knapsack (which I can and do wear) as well as a bag or two of dinner.

-Jeffrey
-Jeffrey

Much of the year, it's BALLS-HOT out, and humid, Bill. Cut me some slack. If I walked, skated or rode to work any time from March through late November, I'd arrive a sweaty disgusting mess.

-Jeffrey
-Jeffrey

Believe me I know Seattle traffic - It sucks! Right up there with LA and Houston.

My current job is in Portland, which means I drive the POS I-5 bridge every day, it's about 45 miles each way but traffic means that I average about 2.5 hours a day wasted sitting in traffic.

The new job would be about 20 miles of freeway, so about 45 minutes total.

I'm really leaning towards it and let my boss know - the bastard offered me more $$B|
I asked him to let me telecommute instead, we'll see how it goes.

Thanks for your replies...
illegible usually

My Commute is 23.3 miles door to door. Typically my commute is about 38 minutes for the whole thing.... most of it is along a river valley so I have to look at eagles and right now flocks of trumpeter swans ( Just today on the way home I was noticing there were quite a lot of signets this year making it thru their fisrt winter. )Only the last 5 miles is a pain going into work.. once I get into Redmond.

Ditto. I drive 40 miles one way, 4 days a week. It's worth it to me because I do love my job. :)

Me too....45 miles. I even enjoy the drive because there's next to no traffic and it takes about 45 minutes. I hate using that much gas, but my car's relatively fuel efficient (not by billvon's standards, I'm sure). I work in a pretty rough town, and I live in a nice little cozy community. It's a good situation all-in-all.
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

Most of you are aware that I live on the DZ 30 seconds door to door.
It's great that I do not have to drive, but it also lends itself to being too accessible (read little privacy).
I seldom leave the DZ except to go to town and that is only when the cupboards are bare or the laundry has given birth.
This is how I can justify owning a gas guzzler and am lucky if I put more than 2,000 miles a year on my car;)
Most of the time I prefer to walk during the day, but I do have a wee golf cart to get to the tunnel.
I have to say all in all, I love living in the middle of the desert.:)

In Jeffery's defense:
I used to ride my bike everywhere when I lived in Chicago as it was my primary mode of transportation. When I moved to South Florida, the sheer amount of decrepit old people driving around and oppressive heat made me fear dearly for my life over a two-mile commute. It's just not a fun place to ride...Moving to Northern California made it feasible for me again though :>

-R

Much of the year, it's BALLS-HOT out, and humid, Bill. Cut me some slack. If I walked, skated or rode to work any time from March through late November, I'd arrive a sweaty disgusting mess.

-Jeffrey

You be the king and I'll overthrow your government. --KRS-ONE

Move?

I also quit a job that had a 2 hour each way commute, for what I thought would be a lower paying situation and one that wouldn't exactly be ideal. Turns out I make a bit more (no perks like I had, but that's ok). I have a lot more time to spend with my husband and doing the things I enjoy doing. No regrets here.

Jen

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda