bjbkkb

Wings Boost

Ok, I have just started working on my 20 pack jobs to apply for my Senior Rigging rating. I jump a wings container and I have watched the Inspect and Repack of my reserve a couple of times. I do not have the Boost system (thinking about adding it) but I have read the manual from the Wings site. I see how the RSL will use the Boost to pull out and deploy the reserve and I see how the Boost will disengage if the reserve is pulled without the cutaway happening. What I don't understand is how the Boost system will detach the opposite riser (i.e., the starboard riser since the RSL is connected by a snap shackle to the port riser). Does it actually disconnect the starboard riser? Thanks
Bruce
My goal is that when all is said done I will have a big pile of well used gear and a collection of great stories.

Yes Rigging Innovations uses my device with my agreement, and actually I have to say it is a better principle than the Skyhook, UPT made this last one more and more complicated and it is still does not work properly (for instance if the knot on the sealing thread is not tight enough, the skyhook will disconnect instead to hold..)

eric.fradet

Yes Rigging Innovations uses my device with my agreement, and actually I have to say it is a better principle than the Skyhook, UPT made this last one more and more complicated and it is still does not work properly (for instance if the knot on the sealing thread is not tight enough, the skyhook will disconnect instead to hold..)

It is true that Rigging Innovations worked on a variation of the Wings Boost/Peregrine ACE, and I know there was a point where RI was negotiating with M. Fradet on licensing his patent. Perhaps this is why M. Fradet is under the impression that the RI MARD is based on the bridle-unfolding principle that is the basis of his patent. However, the RI project was abandoned in favor of developing a system with a different operating principle.

The operating principle of the RI MARD (fancy marketing name to be announced later) is based on the "Invincibility" brake release by Loic Jean-Albert of Fly Your Body, Gap, France. I've attached a photo comparison to show the evolution from brake release to MARD. The top sample is an Invincibility release made to drawings. The center is the same release, modified with a guide ring, and mounted on a riser mock-up. The bottom sample is a pre-production MARD connection/release.

For all samples, the left end of the cable (or pin) assembly is on a tape hinge, and the right end is inserted into a sleeve.

For all samples, the operation is the same. Pulling the brake line/lanyard to the right (=up) keeps the connection locked. If you pulling the brake line/lanyard to the left (=down), the pin bends and slides out of the sleeve, and the connection releases. There are a couple videos taken at the PIA Symposium, including this one: https://vimeo.com/204347139.

The evolution is straightforward, if elegant. A steel pin replaces the flexible cable because plastic would be easily damaged with expected loads. The steel pin and base (and base attachment tape) are hinged to provide consistent flexibility across temperature ranges. Finally, the assembly is miniaturized to fit in a reserve container.

-Mark

M. Fradet is under the impression that the RI MARD is based on the bridle-unfolding principle that is the basis of his patent.

eric.fradet

M. Fradet is under the impression that the RI MARD is based on the bridle-unfolding principle that is the basis of his patent.

Okay, I've read it. Is that the only patent you think is being infringed?

-Mark