tkhayes

Intelligent Design struck down

>Evolution is preached from the mountain top as being a fact.

We have observed evolution and speciation in action; that's a fact. We also have a lot of other facts to go off - the fossil record, the phylogenic record, comparative anatomy, molecular clock comparisons, chemical analyses of rock and sediment, carbon dating, argon dating, magnetic domain analysis - and they pretty much all support evolution.

(And yes, I say 'pretty much' because no historical analysis is 100% accurate - it really can't be. But every time we find a new fossil, or a new species, or a new gene, it reinforces the underlying biology that evolution theory supports.)

>I still remember it to be only a theory not proven and up for
>discussion.

You should learn what 'scientific theory' means. It does not mean 'just a guess.'

>Your a Catholic, but some Humanist I work with worship evolution as
>a fact. Believing in a theory takes alot of faith.

Do you believe in the theory of relativity? Do you believe in gravity? How about electromagnetism? The Pythagorean Theorem?

>the problem as I see it is one side only is allowed to tell their side
>of the story. Where is the education in that?

Neither I, nor any scientist I know, thinks creationism should be supressed. It should be taught in schools in religion classes along the other creation myths. Science should be taught in science class, and religion in a religious studies class.

Neither I, nor any scientist I know, thinks creationism should be supressed. It should be taught in schools in religion classes along the other creation myths. Science should be taught in science class, and religion in a religious studies class.

What so many of the religeous right are fighting for is the same thing al queda is fighting for.. and taught in their madras's. They teach only the quran.. these people who want to be the American version of the taliban want to ONLY teach what is in the bible. So one group will take us back to 622 AD.. the other to 3000 years BC.. Take your pick

Evolution is preached from the mountain top as being a fact. I still remember it to be only a theory not proven and up for discussion.

True, just like gravity. Just like quantum mechanics.

We made some pretty neat space missions using the "only a theory" of gravity. Skydiving depends on "only a theory" of gravity, and your computer, CD player, DVD player... were designed using "only a theory" of quantum mechanics.

Amazing how good ideas that are "only a theory" can be, really. Wouldn't you agree?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

How intelligent was the design for fireants, mosquitos, and the like? Why would any sane designer create avian flu and other pestilences? It is simpler to blame them on random mutations and evolution.....

Oh yeah, I remember reading (in the original hebrew by the way) about the wrath of god and the plagues visited on the Egyptians etc etc....I just don't buy it! That is not to say I do not or do believe in a Supreme Being......but why would he bother to design mad cow disease???

marc

"The reason angels can fly is that they take themselves so lightly." --GK Chesterton

Evolution is preached from the mountain top as being a fact. I still remember it to be only a theory not proven and up for discussion. Many people believe it to be true, but to Know it to be true moves one from their belief to...ah enlightenment.

Your a Catholic, but some Humanist I work with worship evolution as a fact. Believing in a theory takes alot of faith.

Now some would say it takes an idiot to believe in a creator. (Who is Right? and Who is Wrong?), the problem as I see it is one side only is allowed to tell their side of the story. Where is the education in that?

Scientists tend to believe the theory of evolution because evidence supports it. Not all, but alot. And when the evidence denies a portion of it, they do not simply go, "well, this is too complex, must have been Intelligent Design."

They do what a good scientist should do. They redifine their experiments, reevaluate the data, and make new sub-theories.

Filling the "gaps" that may exist in a scientific theory with "God did it" is not science. Its faith and religion and does not belong in a science class.
Why yes, my license number is a palindrome. Thank you for noticing.

what do you mean it's not science.

the bible PROVES that it is god. Just read the bible and you'll see that the Bible is the authoritative truth about God, and God wrote the bible. Therefor anything in the Bible is from God and must be true, or it wouldnt be written in the Bible.

you dumbass!

TV's got them images, TV's got them all, nothing's shocking.