Treehopper

Importance of container fit

As a college student it is going to be a few months before I can save up enough money for my own gear, and while I plan on using rental gear till at least 60-100 jumps, looking at used containers how important is the fit? It is hard finding one that will fit a 190 sqft canopy for someone who is 5'3" and 150-160 ponds. I am working on losing some of the weight, but in a realistic world, it will probably take a while as it seems with every two steps forward I make, I end up taking one backwards.

Fit what - you or the canopies?

For canopies, it tends to be one size up or down from the canopy size the container was designed for. Push it beyond that it you impact on safety.

Or do you mean harness size? That rather depends on where and how it doesn't fit you but you'll probably find there's more leeway, albeit generally at the expense of comfort. Again though, push it too far and you can create very real safety issues.

Try asking other jumpers if you can try on their rigs on a bad weather day and figure out what sizes fit and what don't, ideally with the assistance a rigger or instructor.

A little more direct answer. Yes you need to be concerned about fit if the harness to your body. Finding a harness that fits you and your dedired canopies may be a challenge. But your weight MAY mean that a harness that fits 5'7" 145 might fit you. But a rig that fits 5'10" will likely be unsafe for you.

You may be best looking for an used adjustable harness student rig. You need to try on ANY rig you consider with an experienced rigger/ear dealer.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Consider having a harness resized with the manufacturer or a local master rigger (if you know one). That would put you shopping for a container that fits your canopy size where the yoke (shoulder to shoulder of the rig - basically that the shoulder straps are the right width for your body).

Like all rigs, you want to work with an experienced rigger to determine how something fits you. Ask them which manufacturers they recommend looking at and keeping the option to resize the harness as a possibility. In my personal experience, UPT, Sun Path, and VSE are great so a Vector 3, Javelin, or Infinity container are contenders. A resize + legstraps wI'll run about $550 so keep that in mind when pricing rigs. Searching for a used rig is always a long process, so be patient and picky and compensate your rigger for their time and expertise.