artistcalledian

Bloody Aussies

I'm from the area where this happened and perhaps some clarification is needed.

This was sparked by an attack by thirteen "men of middle-eastern appearance" on three volunteer surf lifesavers a week ago.

It follows on from years of abuse and attacks on locals by young thugs of "middle-eastern appearance" who train or drive to this particular beach and congregate and attack in packs.

I myself have been verbally abused, intimidated and threatened. One mother I spoke to last week, had been slapped for asking them not to swear at her daughter- they called her young daughter a "f*cking slut," because she was wearing a bikini at the beach.

Before someone starts up, I wholeheartedly condemn last sunday's riots, attacking people 50-on-1 and attacking ambulances is utterly, utterly low in my book.

But since Sunday's riots, there have been a huge number of reprisals. In the Shire alone, two people have been stabbed, gunshots fired, many people attacked (including a man who was merely taking out his garbage), cars have been destroyed, shops attacked, one woman was assaulted in her car and another beaten. That's without even going into the 40+ cars destroyed at Maroubra on Sunday night with baseball bats and crowbars, or the infant that narrowly escaped injury when a glass bottle was thrown through the bedroom window.

The violence has got to stop. The beaches belong to everybody, not us "locals" and not "the Lebs". We have been told to let the police do their job, but none of this would have occurred if the rule of law had been enforced over the last few years. If the original problem of gang/thug violence at Cronulla is not resolved, this will all flair up again in a few months time, I guarantee it.>:(
xj

"I wouldn't recommend picking a fight with the earth...but then I wouldn't recommend picking a fight with a car either, and that's having tried both."

One mother I spoke to last week, had been slapped for asking them not to swear at her daughter- they called her young daughter a "f*cking slut," because she was wearing a bikini at the beach.

But did she look hot in the bikini? That seems like an important detail you neglected to expound upon.

TV's got them images, TV's got them all, nothing's shocking.

If you've been having these problems in your home area for years now then how pathetic is that.

It seems like ozzie police are more interested in harrassing harmless people than getting in there and sorting out the REAL problems as you described. Have they run out of hippies and greenies to annoy.? Now you've got lebbo's and wogs and Ities and all the rest of the wanna be ozzie world.

Other more rural parts of Australia have solved similar problems by not polarising the issues but realising we are all here in this multicultural world however imperfectly.

Australia used to be considered a tolerant society due to the many hardships our forebears endured.
Australians used to help each other as they co-operated to build a decent strong society. Now they compete for limited resources and beat each other out of a desire to be richer and more powerful than their fellows.

The current government trades on spreading fear and loathing. These Sydney based riots are simply a reflection of the current NEW Australian consciousness.

We've got our uncurrent leaders to thank for not being up to actually leading Australia out of its bigoted mindset.

You can keep your little beach ................it stinks.

:|

So... What it comes down to is a bunch of arseholes looking for trouble and looking for an excuse to cause trouble as a pack!>:(

For the avoidance of doubt I'm talking about BOTH sets of protagonists here.

Speaking as a cop who worked in the days when "Thick-Ear" policing was acceptable, I'm really starting to feel quite nostalgic for that era.[:/]

Mike.

Taking the piss out of the FrenchAmericans since before it was fashionable.

Prenait la pisse hors du FrançaisCanadiens méridionaux puisqu'avant lui à la mode.

Get the yobs together,m get them to sign waivers off,Give them all knives. Stick them on the beach, cordon it off and let them go at it.
It would get rid of 1/2 the trouble makers.

The 1/2 that survive?

Do it again just use hand grenades instead.

Of course the cordon would be a lot bigger to protect the innocent from flying limbs etc.

Survivors?

Maybe. Lock them up and throw away the key.

www.myspace.com/durtymac

:(
That's already happening in Iraq.....so perhaps we could just send every war-mongering social violence- supporting drongo over there and pay them to kill each other.

The tactic of sitting back and picking up the pieces is what's got us into this mess.

Once prodded it's typical of the 'wannabe as tough as the yanks' Oz police to just lash out and get anyone in range.

The real perps'll be sitting back laughing untouched as usual.

>:(

Get the yobs together, get them to sign waivers off,Give them all ...

ONLY... They don't want to actually fight! At least, not get involved in a fight where they might have to actually face someone who'll fight back!>:(

They (in very unsociological tems) want to gob off, intimidate folk, and feel "git ded tough" when they go back to the 'hood and tell their tales of darein' do.

Again, I'm talking about both parties and bitter experience of how fast the bleat about THEIR rights when they're grabbed and faced with someone who's apparently likely to be every bit as nasty as they were!

Mike.

Taking the piss out of the FrenchAmericans since before it was fashionable.

Prenait la pisse hors du FrançaisCanadiens méridionaux puisqu'avant lui à la mode.

Just to point out. The police have a hard time enforcing groups picking on individuals as they have to consider their own safety. If you consider how many police they would need to safely tell a pack of people off its alot. For two cars of people they would need a number of patrol cars with at least two officers per car.

Even rural parts have the issues, it just normally takes an event to bring it to the surface. Look at redfern, and it happened on one of the islands before.

All the "wana be oz" you described are also important parts that has made this nation and our history.

What has this government done to create fear and lothing? I personally believe the media has done most of this job.

In the Shire alone, two people have been stabbed, gunshots fired, many people attacked (including a man who was merely taking out his garbage), cars have been destroyed, shops attacked, one woman was assaulted in her car and another beaten.

will those Ring - Wraiths stop at nothing??:P
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

As a Shire girl, the only thing I give a rats arse about, is over what will happen when the hullaballoo dies down and the politicians have forgotten it all. My money is on the same damn thugs coming down to the beach and causing trouble.

Australians are pretty apathetic people and so I find it ever so sad that a legitimate protest of thousands, was overshadowed by the dumb, alcohol-fuelled stupidity of a few hundred.

On the police side of things.
Until the sunday riots and the ensuing mayhem, I have NEVER, in three years, seen a single police officer walking the beat at the Cronulla Beaches or Cronulla Mall. But, when you cut police numbers by half, then cut a further seven, that doesn't leave many spares...and when it takes police up to two hours to respond to call outs, these little thugs know they can get away with it.

Take the race/religious issue out of it and you have a simple problem, without the hype/racism/whatever:- Cronulla has a problem with gangs of young men, 'driving in' and harassing beach goers, particularly young women. This is a problem that has been escalating for years, unabated, unaddressed. I only hope that something good comes out of this mess and the local Police and state government end up being forced to do something about it.

B|
xj

"I wouldn't recommend picking a fight with the earth...but then I wouldn't recommend picking a fight with a car either, and that's having tried both."

I never realized it was that bad in Cronulla you know.. I've been exposed to this whole situation through the international media (since I'm overseas atm) and they have pretty much jumped on to the debate about whether Australians are inherently racist or not..

But I got an email from a friend in Sydney and she said exactly what you did.. that beachgoers are being harassed by these people everyday & it has been an ongoing problem.. and you're right.. whether it's a racial issue or not is irrelevant - that kind of behaviour isn't acceptable or needed anywhere..

At the end of the day, we can debate it all we want but you have to deal with the consequences since you live there - hope everything works out..