AdrenalineLover

Newbie Altimeter Watch Question

Total newbie... second post... first one after intro.

So... be gentle...

I did a forum search for altimeter watch and can't find anything newer than a couple years old.

Are there any good altimeter watches that actually work for jumping? Or does the community just recommend a good separate altimeter?

I've looked at Suunto, Garmin, etc...... just not sure what's actually functional...

Appreciate the help (even if it's someone just linking to a more recent thread on the topic that I can't figure out how to find)!

Cheers,

Jim

The real answer to a newbie is that we all, when we were baby skydivers and twentysomething or younger, thought we had a better way to do things. Every once in a while its true. Mostly folks like you need to listen and learn from the experienced folks. At least until you have a clue what you don't know and have learned what kind of things can kill you.

Yes, get a purpose built altimeter. Deciding what you want there is confusing enough without trying to make something do what it wasn't meant to do.

Example, I don’t have to see/read the numbers on my analog chest altimeter because it has color codes and I know 3000' is pointing away from me in the way I mounted it.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Bluhdow

There are a lot of jumpers out there using Suuntos quite happily.

And then there are a couple, that aren't. Somewhere on YT are a few more recent examples why using watches as altimeters isn't a great idea, but I can't find them atm. Most didn't end up as bad as this AFFI-trainee anyway. Maybe sb has more time and luck than me.

7 years old but still interesting. Especially the part, where his Suunto Core went from 4616ft to 2631ft in 4 seconds.

ETA: forgot the link :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azADtrO0nz8
-------------------------------------------------------

To absent friends

I used a Suunto Vector for over 3000 jumps and a Core for over 2000 jumps. They work very well. Only thing is every once in a while they will get stuck and take a couple seconds to catch back up, but that was very rare. I prefer to use either my Viso2 or Atlas now but wouldn't have any issues going back to my Suuntos.

wasatchrider

***^^^ sure, but they didn't start with them as students.

Start with the school gear, then change only one thing at a time.

been using mine since jump number 4

That's different from recommending them to a new jumper who should be listening to their instructors (who can evaluate the student's skills, individal learning rate, etc).

I've definitely had students focus on stuff they shouldn't - including one who put an audible in his pants pocket (I wouldn't let him put it in his helmet - first learn to read an altimeter!) and then focused on listening for it so much that he didn't listen to the radio talk down instructor, time his flare, or PLF - he broke an ankle and his Dr barred him from jumping in the future. Everyone is different. Listen to your instructors.

I have Garmin Fenix 3 that I use to "aid" my spotting on cloudy days. I've tested the built-in barometric sensor during freefall and although accurate, unfortunately the refreshing time is just too long, so I wouldn't recommend it (although they're great for the canopy ride). Apparently Suntos are known for similar problem.
# 2092
Stay away from the rivers

tlipiec

I have Garmin Fenix 3 that I use to "aid" my spotting on cloudy days. I've tested the built-in barometric sensor during freefall and although accurate, unfortunately the refreshing time is just too long, so I wouldn't recommend it (although they're great for the canopy ride). Apparently Suntos are known for similar problem.

Which settings/sport do you sue?
I coudl never get the "jumpmaster" to work just right

AdrenalineLover

Total newbie... second post... first one after intro.

So... be gentle...

I did a forum search for altimeter watch and can't find anything newer than a couple years old.

Are there any good altimeter watches that actually work for jumping? Or does the community just recommend a good separate altimeter?

I've looked at Suunto, Garmin, etc...... just not sure what's actually functional...

Appreciate the help (even if it's someone just linking to a more recent thread on the topic that I can't figure out how to find)!

Cheers,

Jim

I have used:
Analog
Atlas
ION
In short the Alter and Atlas are the best.
If you want logging function and use Paralog, go with Atlas.
Otherwise order and Alter (allow some time, be patient) and enjoy.

To be honest I find the built-in jumpmaster profile quite confusing, so I made my own:
Screen 1 divided into 4 quads - barometer altitude (top), climb rate (left), heading (right) & distance to destination (bottom)
I also have 2nd screen with just a barometer altitude for canopy ride.
# 2092
Stay away from the rivers

timrf79

I have used:
Analog
Atlas
ION
In short the Alter and Atlas are the best.
If you want logging function and use Paralog, go with Atlas.
Otherwise order and Alter (allow some time, be patient) and enjoy.

Great info that sent me on a bunch of research. Thanks a ton!

Re. many other replies above... yes... I'm tracking that I'm a newbie and should listen to my instructor. Got that... and certainly will.

I also know, from experience, that starting off a hobby with at least some basic equipment above what's provided in a learning environment can be beneficial.

As a Rescue Diver... I'm super glad I at least started out with my own mask, snorkel, regulator, dive computer, and fins. Made my student time much, much better than the average student who showed up with a notebook and pen. Yes, I still waited on purchases like wetsuits, boots, drysuit, BCD, alternate air supplies, drag bags, separate release-weight systems, flashlights, dive knives... on and on...... and years later improved upon my original purchases with upgraded ones.

Anyway... I get it... "Shut up and listen, new guy."..... but I'm just trying to do some homework, before hand, to make a handful of small purchases that might make the learning experience a bit better... and came here for expert advice on doing so. ;)

Cheers!

AdrenalineLover

...Anyway... I get it... "Shut up and listen, new guy."..... but I'm just trying to do some homework, before hand, to make a handful of small purchases that might make the learning experience a bit better... and came here for expert advice on doing so. ;)

Cheers!

I didn't see that at all in any of the responses.

You asked a fairly typical question.

"Can I jump with a piece of equipment not designed for skydiving?"

The answer is generally "You can, some people do, but you are better off using the right tool for the job."
Which is what you got for responses.

Nothing wrong with asking, as long as you are open to an answer you might not like.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo