fcajump

Cypres maint/life time change - 5/10/15.5

How did I miss this...?
Checked my new Cypres 2 and found it was indicating a next maint cycle in 5 years. (not 4...?)

Sent and inquiry to SSK and got the attached letter back.

Nice surprise. :)
(When I first showed the "discrepancy" to my wuffo wife, she said "well maybe they changed it..." Told her she's just nuts... its always been 4 years... they wouldn't do that... :$gladly eatin' crow today.)

JW
Always remember that some clouds are harder than others...

Airtec has always bragged that the 4 year and 8 year service included upgrading to brand new specs. Is this now an alternative fact, or will older units be upgraded as promised?
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

Wasn't there as I had just started jumping in 1990 (and was NEVER going to be a rigger... oops).

I bought my first one in mid/late 91.
(edit - further reflection... yea, I guess I recall when they canceled the 10 year inspection and said to plan on a 12 year lifespan.)

My docs show:
Manual 10/1991
- equipment lifespan - no notation
- batteries - no scheduled time, simply when low-battery indication shows during self-test
- factory service every 2 years

Manual 03/1995
- batteries - 2yrs, 500 jumps or when low-battery indication shows during self-test (which ever comes first)
- factory service every 4 years

Recollection - sometime in here they tried a 4 year battery cycle, but canceled it fairly quickly

Cypres Rigger Updates 1/96
- maint window 4yr +/- 3mo

Manual 08/1997
- batteries - 2yrs, 500 jumps or when low-battery indication shows during self-test (which ever comes first)
- factory service every 4 years

Manual Cypres 2 (no date - white cover)
- lifespan - 12 years
- battery and factory - 4 years

Manual Cypres 2 (no date - white w/ purple stripe)
- lifespan - 12yr 3 mo
- battery and factory - 4 years

Cypres News 5/03 and 8/2004
- silver sleeves no longer needed
- maint window +/- 6 mo for Cypres 2
- maint window +/- 3 mo for Cypres 1
- 10yr maint requirement cancled
- lifespan - 12yr+3mo

I do find it interesting that the original ads emphasis was not only on its accuracy, but just as much on the hidden-away aspect and the "they'll never know you have one". Such was the reputation of the prior generations of AAD/AOD's. Now we design (some) rigs so that we can ensure that the control unit is easily seen and verified to be on.

JW

This came across the FB feed a few days ago. I'm been checking here to see if it would pop up.

According to the info given on FB, it only applies to CYPRES 2 units mfgd. Jan 2017 and later.

IIRC, Airtec's notice states that, due to studies on current units, data indicates that the service life could be extended to the 5-year maintenance/15.5 year lifespan.

This begs the question.. if they're going from research on units currently in use, why wouldn't they make it retroactive to all units of the type they studied?

Oh yeah.. cash flow. :(

Every fight is a food fight if you're a cannibal

Goodness is something to be chosen. When a man cannot choose, he ceases to be a man. - Anthony Burgess

Duh. I just read the attached letter, Jim. Somehow missed that.

Did you catch the part where the 5 and 10 year maintenance is "recommendable"? Doesn't say 'mandatory', does it?
Every fight is a food fight if you're a cannibal

Goodness is something to be chosen. When a man cannot choose, he ceases to be a man. - Anthony Burgess

Let's also remember last year's news - so to summarize:

Units manufactured
Jan 1, 2016 onwards only have recommended (not mandatory) maintenance
and
Jan 1, 2017 onwards are the same, but now with a 15.5 year life (and 5 year maintenance intervals suggested)

So the latest units should be able to compete well at least with the M2. The optics are a lot better now for the Cypres -- not the shortest life now, and no longer mandatory servicing.
(Hopefully the battery lasts the full duration, but the M2's is expected to last 15 years. Cypres is $120 more than the M2 but has a longer track record, permanent firing altitude offset, and nowadays has multi-mode capability.)

JerryBaumchen

I was in the audience at 1991 PIA when Helmut intorduced his CYPRES. He made absolutely no mention of: 'The CYPRES lifetime has been 12.5 years since the beginning in 1991.' This Service Life was introduced much later. Jerry Baumchen

Agreed.

pchapman

Units manufactured
and
Jan 1, 2017 onwards are the same, but now with a 15.5 year life (and 5 year maintenance intervals suggested)

So the latest units should be able to compete well at least with the M2. The optics are a lot better now for the Cypres -- not the shortest life now, and no longer mandatory servicing.
(Hopefully the battery lasts the full duration, but the M2's is expected to last 15 years. Cypres is $120 more than the M2 but has a longer track record, permanent firing altitude offset, and nowadays has multi-mode capability.)

I would take the "no longer mandatory" notion to be inline with their notice last year that it changed to address the problems with customs.

For me and my shop, I still go by the "factory recommendations" standard. For some rigs that means a 20 year service life, for Cypres' that means they WILL be sent for check at the 4/5, 8/10 year points.

As to retro-policies for older units, I'll go with what they recommend, but it would be nice to have them all on the same schedule/protocol.

JW

pchapman

Units manufactured
and

That is all true, with the addition that if you choose NOT to send the Cypres for this optional check, you will loose the warranty.

Yes, it says it.

See Warranty section of the manual.

But, the devil is in the details.

They warrant for 5 years.

After that, what they do is actually up to them.

So not having service doesn't actually affect the warranty,
because the warranty is over before the service is needed.

They usually do better than that, but they aren't required to.

Here is the text from a current User manual.

Airtec GmbH & Co. KG provides the 2 year warranty required by law,
and 3 additional years where all repairs are free of charge, except
resulting from intentional or negligent damages.
Thereafter, on a voluntary base Airtec will be very open to provide repairs
or replacements for all non intentional or non negligent damages free of
charge to all those customers who submit their units for maintenance on schedule.
This is a CYPRES practice already since 1991.
The manufacturer reserves the right to decide whether the unit will be repaired or replaced.
Neither repair nor replacement will affect the original warranty.
When a CYPRES 2 unit is returned to the manufacturer or service center, it must be packed
in the original box or an equivalent shipping package including an entirely completed Service Form.
No claims will be accepted if the unit has been damaged or has been opened by an unauthorized
individual, or if an opening of the processing unit, release unit (cutter) or control unit has been attempted.

So, not getting service doesn't break any laws.
But it certainly has ramifications that people should be aware of.

kuai43

This came across the FB feed a few days ago. I'm been checking here to see if it would pop up.

According to the info given on FB, it only applies to CYPRES 2 units mfgd. Jan 2017 and later.

IIRC, Airtec's notice states that, due to studies on current units, data indicates that the service life could be extended to the 5-year maintenance/15.5 year lifespan.

This begs the question.. if they're going from research on units currently in use, why wouldn't they make it retroactive to all units of the type they studied?

Oh yeah.. cash flow. :(

I know it has a lot to do with the battery now in use and its tested lifespan. They have been working towards this for many years. Actually, before other competitors even hit the market. I still recommend the service. Now at 5 yrs and 10 yrs.
Life is all about ass....either you're kicking it, kissing it, working it off, or trying to get a piece of it.
Muff Brother #4382 Dudeist Skydiver #000
www.fundraiseadventure.com