pop

Miami - man killed on plane

This is probably one of "those" things that is bound to happen now and again. I can't fault the Air Marshals much. However, the part that bothers me a little bit is how they are throwing the phrase "non-compliant" around. We are Americans and are supposed to be somewhat non-compliant. This is also another case of the "furtive move" that allows police officers to kill someone no questions asked.

I'll take my chances living in a gunned up society where some citizen asshole might take my life in a roadside dispute, but in general I expect a little better from law enforcement officers. The problem with Air Marshals, no matter how well trained, and unlike street cops who deal with major situations all the time, an Air Marshal's big moment comes once or twice in a career and you can’t expect them to have a well developed sense of what's "hinkey" and what's not.

It won’t be too long before some drunk Shriner on his way to a convention gets filled with hot lead too . . .

I've always thought there's a fortune to be made by anyone who starts an airline with no security checks, no Air Marshals, and no baggage inspections. They could call it, "PartyAir" the Airline for People with Courage . . . Fifty Bucks Anywhere we Go!

You would board with the knowledge that if the plane is hijacked, and used as a weapon, it will be shot down (like any other full price airliner.)

NickD :)BASE 194

Investigators took the backpack and two other pieces of Alpizar's luggage onto the tarmac, and an explosives team blew the bag open by firing a bottle full of water at it. The water is used to effectively defuse any explosive device by separating its components.

I'm having some trouble understanding this paragraph. The visual I get is someone using a potato gun to fire a bottle of Evian at a bag in order to defuse a bomb inside the bag. I must be missing something.:S Anyone care to explain?

I'm having some trouble understanding this paragraph. The visual I get is someone using a potato gun to fire a bottle of Evian at a bag in order to defuse a bomb inside the bag. I must be missing something. Anyone care to explain?

In way simple terms, it's a water cannon. A length of tube, usually attached to a robot is filled with water and when fired a very high pressure air stream projects the water out at the suspected bomb. The force of the water being projected out of the tube creates a high pressure jet of water that can penetrate and literally disassemble if you will, a bomb before it can detonate. To give you an idea of how fast it is, low order explosives your talking in the neighborhood of 12,000 feet persecond and High order explosives at 24,000 + so that gives you an idea of how fast and powerful that concentrated pinpoint stream of water is coming out of the tube and destroying the bomb.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

psssst- if you call him an ass, he'll just whine about how no one understands him and we're all so cliquish and humoUrless. Oddly enough, he'll find 3 or 4 people who actually agree with him and they'll scold all the rest of us on his behalf. Do we NEED all that drama today?

nah, we just laugh our tits of at you behind your backs ;)

However, the part that bothers me a little bit is how they are throwing the phrase "non-compliant" around. We are Americans and are supposed to be somewhat non-compliant.

its ok, the rest of the world has come to expect that kind of behaviour from freaked out Americans now that you've had to join the real world after 11/9

are you two in S.W.A.N.T ?

(special weapons and no tactics )

As opposed to your SWAT
(sarcastic whining and thickheaded):D

If you like, we can compare military/police backgrounds.

Or, you can continue to talk without having a clue, just to start trouble.

I know which you will pick already.

To everyone else. I realize he is a "sniper" (A person who makes statements to aggravate and start trouble, then hides).

I bet you drive a hummer too.

No, I don't like them.

pssst - I think this was a subtle way of calling you gay...

{{not that's there's anything wrong with that}}

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

No, I don't like them.

Huh. I thought it was a way of saying "You think you're cool, but you're really not. You're really the opposite."

you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel loquacious?' -- well do you, punk?

No, I don't like them.

Huh. I thought it was a way of saying "You think you're cool, but you're really not. You're really the opposite."

But the opposite of cool is hot, and hot has a couple different meanings and it really gets complicated at that point.

sotto voice - I know, I was doing a word play on the word 'hummer'

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

The only time I can think of Bipolar illness being the reason for this person's behavior is if he was in an active manic phase...and a bit psycotic. What was his wife thinking having him travel on an airplane if he was acutely ill? And if that was the case, then she's the ass.

It would be nice if these marshalls would've subdued him in some other way. I really think that had they tried they probably could've stopped him without killing him. But I wasn't there. I'd rather him be shot and killed than blow up a plane. If he threatened the flight so immediately that there simply was no other way to end his threat than to kill him, then I'm glad they killed him. It does seem that, like most things, there are other options besides the extremes. Sometimes we just don't want to work hard enough to find out what those are.

linz
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

No, I don't like them.

But the opposite of cool is hot, and hot has a couple different meanings and it really gets complicated at that point.

sotto voice - I know, I was doing a word play on the word 'hummer'

Oh I know all about those double entendre thingies - which is why the very name "Hummer" makes me giggle and think they're silly! :D:D

But I still think it was in reference to "bigness" and "coolness" or lack thereof... the gay thing was too easy a pitch. :|

>:(

you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel loquacious?' -- well do you, punk?

Oh I know all about those double entendre thingies - which is why the very name "Hummer" makes me giggle and think they're silly! :D:D

"bungalow" is also a funny word

"I need some teepee for my bungalow!"

"I need some teepee for my bungalow!"

**** silence ****** :|

The only time I can think of Bipolar illness being the reason for this person's behavior is if he was in an active manic phase...and a bit psycotic. What was his wife thinking having him travel on an airplane if he was acutely ill? And if that was the case, then she's the ass.

It would be nice if these marshalls would've subdued him in some other way. I really think that had they tried they probably could've stopped him without killing him. But I wasn't there. I'd rather him be shot and killed than blow up a plane. If he threatened the flight so immediately that there simply was no other way to end his threat than to kill him, then I'm glad they killed him. It does seem that, like most things, there are other options besides the extremes. Sometimes we just don't want to work hard enough to find out what those are.

linz

Maybe his sweet little wife set him up? :)
Do your part for global warming: ban beans and hold all popcorn farts.

linz

Agree on general points but this guy said he had a bomb in his backpack, he attempted to reach inside the backpack ...three in the chest sounds appropriate to me.
-----------------------
"O brave new world that has such people in it".

> Maybe his sweet little wife set him up?

If she set him up, wouldn't she be yelling "Oh my god, that guy has a bomb!" ?

She didn't need too. While everyone on the flight was drinking and watching movies, the little lady could have been programing her husband. She gave him enough rope....this started out as a silly theory.
Do your part for global warming: ban beans and hold all popcorn farts.