chuteless

What if Saddam is found innocent

I agree with you, only I think it would take less than a week. The people there aren't afraid of him anymore like the way they were and he doesnt have his following anymore. Just look how two of the defense attorneys were killed not too long ago.

Blue Skies!!
---------------
"Once you find a job that you like, you never have to work another day in your life"

Saddam is definitely taxi driver material. I predict he will be driving cabs out in Calif with Win Cao Ky? :S

I predict he will own a fleet of them nationwide, including Washington DC, where which he will hold the deeds to most Federal Buildings after his lawsuit.
"...And once you're gone, you can't come back
When you're out of the blue and into the black."
Neil Young

They'll probably just try him in the International Criminal Court, which, from the info I could find, allows double jeopardy. If Saddam is found not guilty under Iraqi law (an analysis I read said that he may be, because what he did was not a crime under Iraqi domestic law at the time he did it), he will most probably be found guilty in an International Criminal Court, because what he did was a violation of international law and the treaties signed by Iraq.

Nah. Pleas are usually offered when:

1. they'll help save time and money
2. the person being pled out has something to offer.

neither of those would be an advantage in this situation. Bush wants Saddam on trial, and will probably not settle for anything less, because a public trial will highlight the new Iraqi justice system and make it look like we've really accomplished something. All the reasons for putting Saddam on trial in Iraq instead of just letting the ICC deal with him in the first place would be void if we pled him out. Saddam was put on trial in Iraq because Iraq has the death penalty and the ICC does not. Saddam won't accept a plea involving the death penalty, of course, so there's really no reason for him to be allowed a plea bargain.

Honestly, given what I've read about Iraqi law, I can't see how he'll be convicted. Under Iraqi law when Saddam was in charge, the leader of the country could not commit a crime. Therefore, nothing Saddam did while in office was criminal. What they're trying to do in this trial is similar to you driving 64 mph in a 65 speed limit zone, and getting clocked by a police officer. Two weeks later, they change the speed limit to 60 and send you a ticket, even though what you did wasn't illegal when you did it. From what I've read, they're much, much more likely to get a conviction in the ICC, because his actions were clearly against certain treaties. Most analysts seem to agree that the only reason he's on trial in an Iraqi court is to have access to the death penalty.

If they somehow do manage to find a legal justification to convict him, yes, they'll probably give him the death penalty.

how? by saying the wrong thing to some clown at a DZ with a gun?

Are you seriously that stupid or do you just like to play one here???

Aw c'mon--there's no sense at getting worked up.

Walt

are personal attacks allowed on here now?

how? by saying the wrong thing to some clown at a DZ with a gun?

Are you seriously that stupid or do you just like to play one here???

Aw c'mon--there's no sense at getting worked up.

Walt

are personal attacks allowed on here now?

I'm sure they're not, but they may be cutting some slack in cases where it was provoked.

While I thought the, "...saying the wrong thing to some clown at a DZ with a gun?", comment was just kind of silly, I can really understand how it could provoke someone--especially an American who believes in gun rights.

In the US, gun owners (and I am a gun owner and NRA member), are constantly being attacked in the media and our right to own firearms is constantly under attack.

Any comment suggesting that a skydiver who believes in gun rights is a foaming-at-the-mouth hot-head who would murder someone for "saying the wrong thing" can really be abrasive to someone whose nerves are already raw from the attacks by media.

While the comment would not generate a personal attack from me, I'd have a hard time finding fault with anyone for having a much less laid back attitude about it.

Let me take it a bit further. No matter how the media portrays US gun owners, nearly all gun owners in this country are *very* law abiding citizens who are the polar opposite of criminals. I don't know if it is most, but certainly a significant portion of the gun violence in this country is committed by convicted felons, who cannot legally own a firearm under any circumstances. Putting a law abiding citizen who owns guns in the same category really is pretty insulting.

Imagine making the comment that Saddam, if found innocent and released, might be killed within a week if he said the wrong thing to a black guy.

While that might be true (depending on the black guy, I suppose), the comment implies that black men have inherently murderous attitudes. In any case, you could expect quite a barrage of nasty remarks for making the comment.

Make all the provoking comments you want--it doesn't bother me at all--but don't be surprised if you get some really strong reactions.

Walt

I heard that the problem with gun owners was not them challenging the gangs on the streets or in bank robberie, no one thinks that all NRA members are just gun freaks, but that must of the deaths or wounds from these guns owned by loyal and honnest citizens are acidental and in their own family ... almost never a bad boy killed by the good citizen defending his family.
Richard

I heard that the problem with gun owners was not them challenging the gangs on the streets or in bank robberie, no one thinks that all NRA members are just gun freaks, but that must of the deaths or wounds from these guns owned by loyal and honnest citizens are acidental and in their own family ... almost never a bad boy killed by the good citizen defending his family.

I don't know--I've never heard that one.

From one web page:

The National Safety Council analyzed the most recent death certificate data (1997), and found that there were 95,644 total unintentional-injury deaths of which 981 (1.0%) were due to unintentional firearms injuries. For children under 5 years old, there were 20 unintentional firearms deaths which accounted for 0.7% of all unintentional-injury deaths in that age group. Among those 5 to 9 years old, there were 28 unintentional firearms deaths; 1.8% of all unintentional-injury deaths. For 10 to 14 year olds, 94 unintentional firearms deaths were 5.1% of total unintentional-injury deaths. And for older teens, 15-19 years old, there were 164 unintentional firearms deaths; 2.5% of all unintentional-injury deaths.

By contrast, I find a statistic here that claims that:

More than 1500 children die in the United States each year from drowning.

I can't veryify the validity of these statistics, but let's say they are somewhere in the ballpark. Clearly, accidental drowning is a greater risk than accidental shooting for children. Why is there no outcry against swimming pools?

I think the reason is obvious. From a media standpoint, accidental drowning is just not as sensational as an accidental shooting.

One thing that is just as obvious to me is that the people who scream about accidental shootings of children don't give two shits about the dead children. If so, they would be focusing on swimming pools. The screaming about guns killing children is a smokescreen for their real agenda, which is the elimination of guns.

Walt

don't misunderstand me, I am not challenging a type of death vs another. I am sure that it's statistically far more dangerous to let the children swimm in the pool.
I just read that those weapons in the families almost never defends the family from an outer attack but are involved in accidental injuries in the family.
So lets rather put it that way: accident in the family vs real defending action. Is there any statistics from the police deps ?
Richard

don't misunderstand me, I am not challenging a type of death vs another. I am sure that it's statistically far more dangerous to let the children swimm in the pool.
I just read that those weapons in the families almost never defends the family from an outer attack but are involved in accidental injuries in the family.
So lets rather put it that way: accident in the family vs real defending action. Is there any statistics from the police deps ?

I don't know, but if I can find 'em, I'll post 'em.

Walt

This is a big thread drift. Richard, what you're talking about is the Kellerman 'study' concluding a gun owner is 43 times more likely to lose a loved one to that gun than a bad guy. It's propoganda material at best and you can find it debunked all over the net. (for starters, 39 of the 43 are suicides).

-----

Saddam won't be getting out of this one. Certainly he won't be given power back, or win some big settlement against the US. At best, and I don't think it's too unlikely, he will be exiled to another continent. Fair or not, losers don't win in court. Losers commit human rights violations. (in converse, winners of war never do).

>One thing that is just as obvious to me is that the people who
>scream about accidental shootings of children don't give two shits
>about the dead children. If so, they would be focusing on swimming
>pools.

Well, not just swimming pools, but rivers, sewers, oceans etc. (Which in most areas of the US are still a lot more prevalent than swimming pools.)

I think most parents would have an equal response to a child who died because the next door neighbor had an open well with no cover on it vs. a child who died because the next door neighbor had a loaded .45 lying on the back deck. However, that parent is NOT going to have the same response to a child who discovers a river in the woods and dies while playing Tarzan over it. And the latter is a lot more common than the former.