garygruber

Old timer needs old time gear

Folks, I am returning to the sport after a 12 year layoff. I have made 5 jumps on 5 different canopies and have not found one to my liking yet. I am currently jumping an old PD-210, but have put on some weight and at my age (67) I am trying to keep my wing loading to 0.8.

Does anyone have a PD-230 in the closet somewhere they might want to sell? I know this is a long shot, and with a couple of more demo jumps I will probably find the canopy that is right for me, but I thought I would ask anyway.

TIA.

Are you just looking for a main canopy or an entire Rig? I have an older Talon 1988 with a 2004 new old stock Raven 3 249 reserve with an old-school safire 1 230 0P main new velcroless risers. Recently relined no aad but aad ready it's my third rig and kind of sits around but I'm not in no hardship to sell it . Plus what size human are you ? I'm a big boy
i have on occasion been accused of pulling low . My response. Naw I wasn't low I'm just such a big guy I look closer than I really am .

Although your mind is already settled on the PD230 you might want to demo other canopies in that size range. Even if just for shits and giggles, you might be surprised. Pulse, Navigator, Spectre, Storm, Silhouette, Pilot, Safire, S-Fire, Omega... all names, that could fit your bill and, depending on age, might not even be much more expensive.
I wouldn't expect it to be very easy to find a low jump numbered and reasonably priced PD230 nowadays. Good luck anyways. :)

-------------------------------------------------------

To absent friends

Us more "seasoned" jumpers might take a little while to get used to the characteristics of the more modern canopies. The technique used to get a nice landing is a bit different.

I also thought newer canopies were strange to land when I made the change to a Pilot 210 after having a PD210 for many years. I now fully appreciate the different characteristics. I strongly advise not giving up on the modern wings. The Spectre's steeper glide may fit well with you, but the others just take a bit different technique.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am