TheAnvil

This is ridiculous

PC-oriented politicians who have not allowed this industry to build a new refinery in 30+ years, or explore for oil in areas that are out sight of common man (

Negatory... the Oil industry has been closing refineries and not trying to build more.... less refineries.. creates shortages.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jamie-court/memos-show-oil-companies-_b_6980.html

Another Mobil memo shows the company promoted tough regulations in California to shut down an independent refiner. A Chevron memo acknowledged the industry wide need to shutter refineries and discussed how refiners were responding in kind.

Large oil companies have for a decade artificially shorted the gasoline market to drive up prices. Oil companies know they can make more money by making less gasoline. Katrina should be a wakeup call to America that the refiners profit widely when they keep the system running on empty. It's time for government to regulate the industry's supply.

Oh another one...http://www.tpmcafe.com/story/2005/9/23/8420/99029

Large oil companies have for a decade artificially shorted the gasoline market to drive up prices. Oil companies know they can make more money by making less gasoline.

I don't have a problem with that.....take note mark, gawain, et al. :P

Provided that is, they aren't colluding with so called competitors. The fact that they are all using the same tactics though, and none are breaking that cycle for competetive advantage leads me to believe they very well may be. I think that needs to be investigated, and is long overdue.

:D:D:D:DConocoPhillips earned $3.8 billion in the third quarter, an 89 percent increase over a year earlier. But he said that represents only a 7.7 percent profit margin for every dollar of sales. "We do not consider that a windfall,":D:D

Bullsh*t>:(

Regulated utility companies are alowed a 10% profit.

Most investors shoot for a 10% profit on thier investments.

"Big Oil" should get less?:S
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

That's a 7.7% profit margin INCREASE.

That is incorrect.

Yup. The figure I actually heard was that the oil companies, on average, are making about 9 cents on each dollar of oil sold.

Compare that to McDonalds who make about 13.8 cents on each dollar and Coca-cola with a whopping 21.3
Why yes, my license number is a palindrome. Thank you for noticing.

Seems to me that the majority of us Western consumers are very much accustomed to taking it in the rear when it comes to the capitalists controlling our lives. However, most are very similar to the chronic welfare recipient in that we don't make any effort to change our situation. Long commutes, large vehicles, cranking the heat in the Winter time...all just creature comforts that many are not willing to relinquish. So then if we are really all that concerned...why not buy a scooter or a bike and happily buzz through this phase of our existence by darting through the perilous lines of traffic or go out there and start a revolution and hold these companies accountable.
Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving! ~ Patrick Dennis' Auntie Mame

why not buy a scooter or a bike and happily buzz through this phase of our existence by darting through the perilous lines of traffic or go out there and start a revolution and hold these companies accountable.

Sorry, maybe later, I'm currently writing my congressman and DEMANDING they investigate Coca Cola for price gouging.

REGULATE COKA COLA

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Right because coke is a necessary and fundamental key to functioning in the world today, and is a cornerstone of our economy.

they have no right to make that much profit:o>:(, I'm outraged - and I want some of it (it's much easier than starting my own soft drink company)

Cola is a big part of the economy, don't sell it short. No, wait.... sell it short, if fact, I demand we sell it short. I demand they pay a ridiculous wage to domestic employees with total benefits and free houses, then take a corporate loss by selling it for next to nothing, then I demand the government take over the factories and start giving the cola to the populace, but only under strict controls using coupons. I am ready right now to fill out whatever forms are necessary and wait in line for my half bottle. After, of course, the prerequisite health and enviromental impact studies.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Once again....slowly for those having trouble with the concept.....

I do NOT advocate price controls on gasoline or penalizing oil companies for making a profit. I advocate an investigation into collusion to artificially inflate prices within the oil industry.

Just a quick thought but let's say the oil companies were in big trouble finacially, wouldnt' the government bail them out like the did with Chrysler in the early 80's and then again with the airline industry after sep. 11th. That was billions of dollars of our money used to help out corporations in trouble.
So by that rationale shouldn't a very successful corp. give a little back?

Once again....slowly for those having trouble with the concept.....

I do NOT advocate price controls on gasoline or penalizing oil companies for making a profit. I advocate an investigation into collusion to artificially inflate prices within the oil industry.

I totally agree (remember the afterbirth post?), but when did this thread about Coka Cola exploiting workers in southeast asia turn into a discussion on gas and oil companies?

ConocoPhillips earned $3.8 billion in the third quarter, an 89 percent increase over a year earlier. But he said that represents only a 7.7 percent profit margin for every dollar of sales. "We do not consider that a windfall

The oild co's are mixing apples and oranges to make the profit look smaller...

What's an oil company's product, a gallon of gas not a dollar of gas..

The only thing that's changed is the cost of the raw materials which have gone thru the roof. IT still costs x amount to manufacture a gallon of gasoline regardless of the cost of raw materials.

If a gallon of gas is $1, their profit margin is 7 cents. If it's 3 dollars, why isn't the profit still 7 cents instead of 21cents..

FWIW, I don't beleive that price controls are an answer. I do think that the price of gas should be what the market will pay in the hopes that it will eventually force people to make better longterm choices.
I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. eat sushi, get smoochieTTK#1

Very simple, lets say for each gallon of gas the actual refinery process is 50cts the rest of it is the cost of crude oil 47cts, which has fluctuated a lot recently.

Still a lot cheaper than selling 250ml of water:S:S (which sometimes even costs $3.00 in a stadium)

Still a lot cheaper than selling 250ml of water:S:S (which sometimes even costs $3.00 in a stadium)

Which Coca Cola also bottles and sells. The absolute cheek of those bastards.

Which Coca Cola also bottles and sells. The absolute cheek of those bastards.

And they play the random numbers game too. They told me $3.25 please!!!!:P

>I would like to commend the commitee chairman for maintaining order
> during lame attempts to put the company chairmen under oath.

Now we can see why they didn't want to be put under oath - because then they can lie and not get in legal trouble.
-------------------------------------------------------------
Document Says Oil Chiefs Met With Cheney Task Force

By Dana Milbank and Justin Blum
Wednesday, November 16, 2005

A White House document shows that executives from big oil companies met with Vice President Cheney's energy task force in 2001 -- something long suspected by environmentalists but denied as recently as last week by industry officials testifying before Congress.

The document, obtained this week by The Washington Post, shows that officials from Exxon Mobil Corp., Conoco (before its merger with Phillips), Shell Oil Co. and BP America Inc. met in the White House complex with the Cheney aides who were developing a national energy policy, parts of which became law and parts of which are still being debated.

In a joint hearing last week of the Senate Energy and Commerce committees, the chief executives of Exxon Mobil Corp., Chevron Corp. and ConocoPhillips said their firms did not participate in the 2001 task force. The president of Shell Oil said his company did not participate "to my knowledge," and the chief of BP America Inc. said he did not know.

You're confusing the issue. The democrats in congress have been saying that Cheney should secretly meet with oil co. execs since 1998!! Clinton even said it. Since THEY said it should be done, it is therefore impossible for it to have been lied about being done. Your revisionist history is getting tiresome. Besides, they weren't under oath so nothing they said matters. Everyone knows it's ok to do anything as long as there's no perjury involved!