hackish

Singer 20U upgrade - Consew 146RB???

My 20U has been a good machine but it falls short when I am tacking a leg pad on, making toggles or sewing the corners of a container. Time for an upgrade.

I was wondering if anyone has used the Consew 146RB-1A machine? If so, what limitations did you find? I need to go as light as patching canopies and as heavy as the tasks I mentioned.

-Michael

Consew 199-1, or -2 for 304 or 308 stitch. The bernina 217 as above or my goto for a long time Pfaff 238. I have 5 total representing all three.

But the one that did 6 layers of type 4 for a toggle nose best was a viking home machine with a low gear.:S

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

With the juki 1900a I don't have to tac with a zigzag anymore. But lately I prefer a needle feed. I use my double needle 212w140 with one needle and also have a 111w151 but haven't used it in a while.

I've been looking for a used Sailrite LZ to have a walking foot zigzag but they are rare used and popular. Hard to get past the sheet metal head.

We won't talk about what my wife realizes and doesn't. :P But I almost bought another walking foot straight stitch on a local auction yesterday but really don't know where I would have set it if I'd got it.

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

I'm sure a guy like me would buy one of your 217's so you have enough space for your new one! On ebay there is one up for a cool $2500!

My 20U doesn't have a lot of lift when it comes to sewing leg straps. Do you find the 217 has enough lift? Specs on it didn't seem like it went very high.

My 20U doesn't have a lot of lift when it comes to sewing leg straps. Do you find the 217 has enough lift? Specs on it didn't seem like it went very high.

Loosen the screw and raise the pressor foot bar a little. Then use the slot in the foot to lower it to compensate when sewing thin material.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

gowlerk

Loosen the screw and raise the pressor foot bar a little. Then use the slot in the foot to lower it to compensate when sewing thin material.

Good idea but the thread guard strikes the presser foot while sewing too. I can maybe tweak the machine a bit to force it into doing what I want but I do feel it is a little too light for some of the things I'm asking it to do.

-Michael

I actually haven't used the 217s much. Haven't had them too long. But in the Pfaff 238 I've had for years I.was able to move the presser foot bar and increase the lift. So fsr I think I actually like the Pfaff better. A friend also told me something he's done. He's removed the tension release rod for specific tasks so that the foot could be higher without releasing the tension. Haven't tried that trick yet.

If I could get that $2500 I would sell one.😉 Crazy asking.price.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Indyz
Agree about walking foot machines - not so hot- for canopy work.
All of my rigger trainees love my Singer 188K for canopy work. I do too. Change stitch length at a touch with a convenient wheel. Remember Rags Raghanti's canopy patching demos at PIA? He used the Singer 188K. He shipped it to the Symposiums. One of the best canopy fabric machines ever made.

I am not a fan of the machines that change stitch length by pushing a button down on the bed and rotating the mechanism. My Juki double needle is so equipped. Don't like that feature.

I have Pfaff 438 it is best machine that I own.
They cost around 1200 euros in Europe (I paid mine 450 euro).
I had to change motor pulley, raise presser foot and to sharpen feeder. It can sew risers, toggles, legpads and canopy work looks solid too. It is like pfaff 138 or 238 but self oiler and little bit biger. B|

My 20U has been a good machine but it falls short when I am tacking a leg pad on, making toggles or sewing the corners of a container. Time for an upgrade.

Here is an old thread.
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=4587472;search_string=singer%20143W;#4587472

In short, I own (or have owned) every single machine listed in these threads and then some.The only ones that I do not still own are the 20U and the 217....

With that said,I still think the Singer 143W is the best all around Zig-Zag that you could have in the loft. It needs to be fitted with a 135X17 needle to have enough clearance to do 8-9 layers of Type VIII though.

MEL
Skyworks Parachute Service, LLC
www.Skyworksparachuteservice.com

Does the 143 have a reverse?

No and you don't need one.
Simply hold the material in place for a few strokes to lock it down on each end.

What about an easy stitch width adjustment?

Yep. A simple knob. In for wider and out to make it more narrow.
.... And it's not like you change the stitch width that much anyway.

MEL
Skyworks Parachute Service, LLC
www.Skyworksparachuteservice.com

Maybe I'm asking for unreasonable things since most industrial machines are designed to do only one job well. I use the 20U for straight and zig-zag. I do use reverse frequently. It really does most of what I want save for being a little too light duty for the heavier sewing.

-Michael