HendrickVDecken

26 jumps and about to jump a 1.2 wl fully elliptical!

I've actually got another thought for you, we'll maybe more of a suggestion.

I noticed a very big difference between a Storm 170 and the 1 jump i put on a Sabre2 170. Do you have the opportunity to borrow a sabre 2 170? Satire 1/2/3? Or any of those canopies in a 150? Maybe trying one of those out before making the step to a Xfire could really help to show you the difference between a spectre and a less dicle canopy.

When did go from a 170 to a 150 i stayed with a Storm (i also lost weight before i downsized) there was a difference for sure in speed and riser pressure but not the same sort of overall performance difference that i noticed between the storm and sabre2

Like you, I'm fresh off my A License as well but, unlike you, I'm much older then you are.

I'll leave the technical advice to those with far more experience then me but will provide you with some thoughts based on my experience:

1. I absolutely love jumping (and I presume you do too). As a student, I had a hard opening (hey, shit happens) that whacked me pretty good. After an ER trip, an ambulance ride to another hospital, and a super fun spinal fusion surgery, I found myself unable to jump for almost a year. Worst year of my life. Just sitting around waiting to jump again. Absolutely blew... If nothing else, why are you rushing to downsize and risking, at best, an unwanted hiatus from jumping or, worse case, a long dirt nap with no chance of ever jumping again. As my DI used to say: "Hey, Numbnuts: I don't see any Rulers laying around so this can't be a c*@% measuring contest." The risk analysis just wouldn't work for me.

2. I'm also smart enough to know when to trust the experience and judgment of the old timers with far more experience then me. If my Instructor even raised an eyebrow at me regarding a skydiving related decision I was making or had made, I'd seriously reconsider it.

There was a thread on here that involved a hot-shot newbie who was jumping a canopy waaaay out of his league with the inevitable end result (complete with video) and post-dirt dart hospital-bed contrite posts. Cant find it but I'm sure someone remembers it... It was a great lesson for me and I'd recommend it you...

In any event, best of luck.
"I shall not die of a cold. I shall die of having lived." Willa Cather

Hahahahah, true DZ.com fashion. Ask the community for advise, then promptly disregard all advice given. Why did you even post?

I'd say just go for it, you obviously have mad skillz. We just want to keep you on the big ol' boat of a canopy so you don't get better than us.

BTW, you should at least fill out your DZ.com profile so we can see where you are jumping. Some of us may want to watch, some may want to avoid.

Just search for sangi on here and youtube. Wheelchairs are kinda cool, was driving one for probably 5 month, because of some stupid downsize.

Too bad this is a troll, the last post Was just too obvious. I had high hopes to witness the birth of the next world champion of canopy piloting.
-------------------------------------------------------

To absent friends

HendrickVDecken

Well, I jumped it. Feels faster but the flare is not far from the Spectre. Stood it up. I don't really get what all the fuss is about.

You pros just don't want us amateurs to have fun.

Man this is fucking hilarious!!! B|

Don't think people were concerned too much with the flare potential of the canopy. It's not the canopy that's the issue so much, it's the pilot under the canopy. And you may not see what the fuss is about... yet.

On the assumption you're a 5 or so jumps on average a weekend sort of person, for the DGIT I'm going to go for 25th February.

Have fun on it!
Sky Switches - Affordable stills camera tongue switches and conversion adaptors, supporting various brands of camera (Canon, Sony, Nikon, Panasonic).

I guess nobody got my reference to the OP's username :D

Cloggy

(Aye Captain.... going to jump this phantom ship and be doomed to roam the skies until judgment day?? :P)

The infamous Hendrick vander Decken was the captain of the Flying Dutchman, a ghost ship that is as unreal as this thread. Maybe it's best to let it disappear into the fog, never to be seen again :D

HendrickVDecken

Well, I jumped it. Feels faster but the flare is not far from the Spectre. Stood it up. I don't really get what all the fuss is about.

You are definitely a troll now. But for the sake of other new jumpers, standing up means nearly nothing. Anyone who thinks standing up is a measure of success on a jump knows very little.

The fuss is about how fast things can go wrong and how badly they can go wrong. Hopefully you don't find out the hard way.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

gowlerk

***Well, I jumped it. Feels faster but the flare is not far from the Spectre. Stood it up. I don't really get what all the fuss is about.

You are definitely a troll now. But for the sake of other new jumpers, standing up means nearly nothing. Anyone who thinks standing up is a measure of success on a jump knows very little.

The fuss is about how fast things can go wrong and how badly they can go wrong. Hopefully you don't find out the hard way.

Guys like him get put on the DZ's bounce bingo board. Make a mistake and he'll find out how bad it's going to hurt.

I really hope you are just trolling.
If not, the responses you have had so far are way too soft, Imho. Simply put, you should not be jumping a crossfire of any size and you should not be jumping any canopy at that wingloading.

HendrickVDecken

From the very 1st post I was pretty sure that this is some jumpers at the DZ making up a dz.com profile and posting shit like this this just to get flamed.

Pics or it didn't happen! Good joke though :ph34r:

Quagmirian

TROOOLLLLL... IN THE DUNGEON!!!

So surprised that people are answering this seriously. It has all the hallmarks of trolling, just surprised it's a xfire 1 and not 3.

How many people with 26 jumps use 'fully elliptical' etc.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

nigel99

***TROOOLLLLL... IN THE DUNGEON!!!

So surprised that people are answering this seriously. It has all the hallmarks of trolling, just surprised it's a xfire 1 and not 3.

How many people with 26 jumps use 'fully elliptical' etc.

Yeah you are probably right, but then again, I also did not believe Sangi was a real person [:/]

Besides, some real person may be reading this thread, wanting to do something just slightly less moronic, and getting the impression that he is making conservative choices.

IF you are honest and not a Troll...

You should learn about and understand fully the term "DiGIT" before you make another jump.

If you continue with your (for the record: "VERY BAD" plan) despite the recommendations provided here, it applies to you.

Please listen to those attempting to advise you from years of experience. If not, we will be once again discussing your canopy choice in another forum on this site.

Guys - what more is there to say [:/]

JW

Always remember that some clouds are harder than others...

Meanee

And here I am, scared shitless just thinking about going from Nav 300 to Nav 260, having total of 28 jumps.

Heh. I learned everyone on a Silhouette 230 and my first jump on a zp.exe 215 (like a Sabre 1) I was more than a little nervous landing it - in part because my second PFF jump put me in hospital and out of the game for almost a year. It was actually on a coach jump with Keithor that I took it for the first go, and I slide in the landing crosswind because it was so different in terms of glide slope.

I don't see making a major canopy change for quite a while - I've stood up only 3 of 13 jumps with it. I'm taking Flight 101 next month in the hopes of figuring out better landings - I have a feeling I've gone from flaring high to flaring low, but I hope some video and coaching helps with that.

I get the impression that trying to do anything in the sport too fast is a dumb idea, and that's definitely the logic I'm sticking with.

Lawndarter

I don't see making a major canopy change for quite a while - I've stood up only 3 of 13 jumps with it. I'm taking Flight 101 next month in the hopes of figuring out better landings - I have a feeling I've gone from flaring high to flaring low, but I hope some video and coaching helps with that.

I get the impression that trying to do anything in the sport too fast is a dumb idea, and that's definitely the logic I'm sticking with.

I like your logic!

Figuring out landings takes time and practice, but having good feedback from a canopy coach can really help to pinpoint potential errors in your technique. It is not just flaring too high or too low. It is also flaring too fast, too slow, not far enough. Many people let the toggles go before their landing is finished - and don't even realise they do it. Just to name a few things I have seen (or done myself). Reviewing outside video also really helps!

Lawndarter

There you go, folks. Lawndarter just summed it up in one sentence. Bravo. Case closed.
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

evh

Reviewing outside video also really helps!

It definitely, definitely helped me with exits - I kept being unstable on exits and couldn't quite see why, even with some video from the King Air I usually jump from at my "home" DZ. Then I went to Elsinore and at an EXCEL camp (highly recommended, by the way!), I got to see some video jumping from a Caravan (with the much bigger door, the field of view is better - and then I could see *exactly* what the issue is - a last minute "glance" back down (as though to second guess the spot) totally changed how I was presenting to the wind and make me go all over the place. So the suggestion I got was to exaggerate how much I look up - by the second or third jump I tried it, I had a way better feeling of how the relative wind works. Great training tool.

I'm sure I'll get the same from the canopy course - if I can see what I'm actually doing it will make it make a lot more sense I'm sure. The landings I stood up were all in pretty good winds at ground level, it was on low winds that I have the worst ones.

Cloggy is right. Wagner based his opera The Flying Dutchman upon the legend of Captain Hendrick van der Decken and his ghost ship/crew.

OP: if you do exist, consider Wagner's Ride of the Valkyries as accompaniment to your spectacular video that lies ahead:

Apocalypse Now version at 3:20 on timeline: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=g6gcz4hdLA8

Berlin Philharmonic in concert:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=P73Z6291Pt8