rhys

i'm NOT christian... and proud of it!!!

All of the conflict on this planet is due to man's inhumanity to man.

No, it is because we are human.

Fighting and the struggle for power is such a basic fundamental trait of our species that calling them 'inhuman' is to completely and utterly miss the point.

War and 'evil' are not things caused by our immoral culture, they are part of our basic instincts.

yeah, and its not like we were given the intelligence and a sense of morality to have control over them or anything we're only brainless animals acting on instinct aren't we......doh !
"Message from the dark side, there is"
Yoda

yeah, and its not like we were given the intelligence and a sense of morality to have control over them or anything we're only brainless animals acting on instinct aren't we......doh !

A large part of that post that I wrote and then left out was concerned with how what is often denounced as our 'immoral' culture actually serves very well to stop us indulging our more basic human desires on the day to day level.

However then I thought about how with more and more advanced culture and technology (products of our intelligence) we have recently become capable of killing and mutilating on a far grander and wider scale than ever before. And so we do, both over the last 100 yrs and right now.

So, humanity, no matter how advanced we have become is still pretty damn viscious.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

If this thread is about being proud of being non-Christian, why would Christianity need to be a part of it or need to be debated?

The Proud to Be Christian thread was started by someone secure in her beliefs and happy with her stance. She didn't compare herself to non-Christians or put non-Christians down in her initial post. Ideally, this thread should be no different.

I'm proud of being independent, of my own belief system, of how I treat others, of the difference that I make in the world on a daily basis. I'm proud of the person I grew up to be, proud that I have no label (Muslim, Christian, etc) that I need to throw around at anyone. I'm proud of my own beliefs, but also proud of respecting everyone else's too.

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

Because the title is "I'm NOT Christion" If the title was "I AM Agnostic" then you'd have a point.

If you can find something a person defines themselves as NOT being rather than what they are, you will find what they either:

fear the most or
deep down really are or
what they most despise about themselves inside

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

i am proud of being non christian because i can see the hypocrasy an naivty of christians.

i went to a christian school and had christianity drilled into me, i am proud that i was able to make my own informed decision to make up my own mind and have a belief that is my own. not what i was told i should believe.

is that not something to be proud of?
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

Hmm. I'm not a republican or a democrat. Sorta proud that I don't follow either party, actually, based on their recent performances. By your logic I must either:

-fear both parties
-belong to both parties, deep down
-despise myself for being both a democrat and republican

Man, I must need a shrink . . .

Religion isn't bad - everyone should have religion. Organized religion is what's bad - the brain-washing of the masses!

I too, am not a Christian, nor do I believe in a god. I am often offended by the mindless sheep that feel it their duty to promote their religion to others and denounce those who differ in belief.

That being said - I also believe that mindless sheep have the right to display their religous symbols and beliefs - they should just learn how to respect others. You can't exactly blame them - most Christians have been brain-washed from birth. To denounce religion would be to denounce their family, their community, the church they've been going to since a kid. So - you see it's not their fault they are sheep.

What this society needs to do - is start teaching kids about all religion - and yes, we need to teach religion in schools. Atheists get all bent out of shape about that notion and feel it violates the separation of church and state. The separation of church and state was designed to keep the govt. out of religion - not religion out of the govt. No matter - if we taught schoolchildren about all religions and let them see that no one religion is right or wrong - more people would really begin to question religion - instead of being forced to believe it.

Then, human society, could more quickly evolve to a society that recognizes religion as many beliefs that began from many different regions and times and see clearly that no one is right. Who knows, we may even make it to the day when religion is taught only in history and we can see ourselves for what we really are - animals scurrying from one scarce resource to the next.

Hmm. I'm not a republican or a democrat. Sorta proud that I don't follow either party, actually, based on their recent performances. By your logic I must either:

-fear both parties
-belong to both parties, deep down
-despise myself for being both a democrat and republican

Man, I must need a shrink . . .

You define yourself as NOT being a democrat or a republican? I thought you defined yourself as being a liberal rather than Not Something else - if you know what I mean.

That said,

1 - we should fear both parties
2 - according to party stats, we all REALLY belong to their parties
3 - I'd would despise myself for belonging to both or either party
4 - I'd rather we had a drink than a shrink

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

is that not something to be proud of?

This is going to come across sarcastic, but it's not meant to be. It is sad that thinking for oneself is something to be proud of rather than something as a necessity.
There's a thin line between Saturday night and Sunday morning

>You define yourself as NOT being a democrat or a republican?

I define myself as an independent politically, and am proud of the fact that I don't follow either party.

>I thought you defined yourself as being a liberal . . .

Yes. I'm also a bigway jumper, and a BMI, and an engineer that designs cellphones and stuff.

I define myself as an independent politically, and am proud of the fact that I don't follow either party.

Yes. I'm also a bigway jumper, and a BMI, and an engineer that designs cellphones and stuff.

See? you understand what I meant. you don't run around saying you are NOT a democrat. You say you ARE independent (it's different).

Being proud that your don't follow either party makes no sense. How do you define "following" a party when the parties themselves have internally conflicting concepts? For that matter, the only way to NOT follow either party is to stand for nothing as between the two, they have pretty much every side of every issue covered.

What's it like being a Body Mass Index? I hear you get a lot of perks with the airlines and novelty joke stores.....

>How do you define "following" a party when the parties themselves
>have internally conflicting concepts?

Good question, yet most people follow one or the other.

>they have pretty much every side of every issue covered.

As you mention above, often they have _both_ sides of every issue covered. Unless I believe in bigger government and smaller government, for example, it would be hard to claim I'm a republican.

>What's it like being a Body Mass Index?

Fat ladies keep pinching me and asking me "do I look fat in these genes?"

This is going to come across sarcastic, but it's not meant to be. It is sad that thinking for oneself is something to be proud of rather than something as a necessity.

why is it sad, many people of this world live thier lives how they are told to and not how they want to.

e.g. alot of my customers (tandem) say i am lucky to have my job and that theirs sucks in comparison.

i decided 4 years ago that i wanted a job that would be fun and one that i would not get bored of. i aimed for that worked my but off, made sacrifices and here i am. anyone can do what they want. and when they do, it IS DEFINATELY something to be proud of.

belief is no different, if you believe what you believe from your own accord then you have good reason to be proud.

someone mentioend earlier that there is over 2 billion christians on earth, how many of those chose that belief rather than having it drilled into them?
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

While I myself don't subscribe to any particular belief, blaming everything on religion is fundamentally wrong. No matter what religion it is you believe in, the greater message coming out of all of them is a set of guidelines that are supposed to improve the society you live in. The only reason why that isn't working out is because these teachings are interpreted and enforced by humans, which are almost exclusively out to further their own cause. So don't blame the religion, but the people who choose to use and abuse it to attain power. You could argue furthermore that all religions were created by people that were looking for a way to attain power, but that's opening another can of worms...
So, don't blame the religion, blame the idiots who use it as an excuse to further their cause.
"Bodygolfing" isn't as much fun as it sounds. People get pissed when you don't replace your divets.

Hi Guys ..very interesting replies up to here - nobody should try and convince anyone like this , the most important thing would be to ask Yourself. what you should believe if you wanna believe in something is truth right ? and then you need to seek it till you find it .... questions i ask today would be why is there anything instead of nothing ...and who put all the rules in place that govern nature , and why was Darwin's theory only cooked up 140 years ago when there was no electron microscope to proof the crap and lies they're still teaching the kids at school and why is there no fossils that show the proof of gradual evolution - science of today is now so advanced that the have proved darwin false - abiogenisis is impossible - do yourself a favour and type darwin's theory (theory in crisis)or creation vs evolution .... simplify - because if you think about it - it's one vs the other there's no in between ...

Religion and a personal relationship with the living God is universes apart ..
If at first, the idea is not absurd, then there is no hope for it

If natural selection were true Eskimos would have fur to keep warm, but they
don't. They are just as hairless and everyone else. If natural selection were
true humans in the tropics would have silver, reflective skin to help them keep
cool, but they don't. They have black skin, just the opposite of what the theory
of natural selection would predict. If natural selection were true humans at
northern latitudes should have black skin, but they have white skin instead,
except for the Eskimos. Many evolutionist argue that melanin is a natural
sunscreen that evolved in a greater amount to protect dark skinned people who
live near the Equator. They simply ignore the fact that dark skinned Eskimos
live north of the Arctic Circle. Melanin in the skin is not a sound argument in
favor of evolution.

:D:D:D:D:D
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

RE: "Melanin in the skin is not a sound argument in
favor of evolution."

So that's your final answer ? :|

see attachments -

if we can find the truthfull root (where it all started), surely we can progress from there -
If at first, the idea is not absurd, then there is no hope for it

I really don't understand how people can deny the existence of God, there has to be a higher being for the universe to exist...

the whole basis of Christianity is that we're all sinners but if you turn to Jesus then you have a way out... ***

Why does there HAVE TO be? Because you wish it that way, or because you have evidence, or because someone told you so? In my world, the only things that HAVE TO be are when I see solid unequivocal evidence; not a single-source, 2000 year old tautology.

And that whole sinner and salvation bit. What a scam. Convince everyone they are sinners, then offer your chosen belief as the salvation. Almost as farcical as the immaculate conception. What a joke to take that one literally. I'm sure every 16 year old pregnant girl wishes they could get away with that line. "Honestly, I didn't have sex, it was an immaculate conception." Claptrap.

" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley