E-Rach

old school Racer SST questions

So I acquired an old RaceR, and I cant find the size cause its old and warn off, anyone know the mesurements IE. I got a currus 220, and its real tight!

also anyone know how the hat comes off, is it a cut of the thread?

I have the instruction manual but it seems a little unclear.

A lot of different versions of SSTs and Racers have been built over the years.
First question: What is the serial number?
Second question: What year was it made?
Third question: Are any sizes listed on the data panel?
Fourth question: What type of canopy releases?
Fifth question: What type of main deployment?
Sixth question: Do you have the original freebag?
Seventh question: What type of reserve pilot-chute?

To answer your question about reserve pilot-chute caps .... Yes, you have to cut hand-stitching to dis-connect the decorative cap.

Next question: Why do you want to dis-connect the Pop-Top?

I have quite a few jumps on the old-school SST racer from the early 80s no riser protection whatsoever both with the freefly pud and a pull out Pc .also in front of the leg strap and also rear leg strap throw outs Courdura nylon pouch with an elastic mouth "sport death" and the
club just thought they would buy everything and we could all just try it out see what we liked B|:P

i have on occasion been accused of pulling low . My response. Naw I wasn't low I'm just such a big guy I look closer than I really am .

Be advised the DOM and serial number may be the same thing. It's like a code in there. They did that for a while.

And technically you're supposed to be able to read that label.

The real question is why? Are you really this desperate? Can any one take pity on this poor guy and help him out with a new rig?

Lee
Lee
[email protected]
www.velocitysportswear.com

#2,1,3.think this was a late 80s I also have an ealr 80s version so I see a few improvements, but im chopping that one up for other projects. the other one I have seems like a M and this one seems same

I cant really see anything on the back panel but I know there is a data card but i think that's mostly canopy detail, (ill look it up)
4 single pin toss
5 its a leg PC toss system
6 orginal free bag check, seems the right size too, it fit with out much of a problem
7 its a "modern" spring PC, conular size looks 40"ish

disconeect the hat, and toss that shitty Kevlar closing loop its more yellow then a Twinkie, replace it with some nice fine cypress loop? that's spectra I think it said that's fine, ill need to double check that.

yeah the risers on the out side are...intresting, although this version does have nice simple snaps for the main risers. also the nice Velcro going down the outsides of the canapy.

the reserve is really intresting, Curris (im not sure on the spelling) 220 its got leath-wise construction, and 5 cells, the reinforcement tape looks on par with a raven, and the vents in the ribs are huge, looks like it should pressureize fast!
also the leading eadge seems to have way more of a constructed airfoil (similar to a shark-nose on paragulders) I really want to fly this thing to see how it works...but no bridle attachment, so if I mod it...can never use it as a reserve :(

and, yeah lee, I think ill need to investigate father into the air worthiness of this container... the intergrated risers do have a lot of ware because of the velcrow :S....ideally I was hoping of getting this stuff together and get a student rig up and operational. I have a desire to make parachuting safe enough, while also lowering the price so everyone can enjoy with out droping 3G on the table for a new rig, and have someone to jump with. its hard...so hard to jump in the maratimes in Canada...

E-Rach

and, yeah lee, I think ill need to investigate father into the air worthiness of this container... the intergrated risers do have a lot of ware because of the velcrow :S....ideally I was hoping of getting this stuff together and get a student rig up and operational. I have a desire to make parachuting safe enough, while also lowering the price so everyone can enjoy with out droping 3G on the table for a new rig, and have someone to jump with. its hard...so hard to jump in the maratimes in Canada...

Jumping antiquated gear hardly seems safe to me...

That velcro wear is worse then you would think. Old racers got that all the time. You would see them where it would shrink that edge. We didn't think that much about it till I saw were they were actually doing some pull test of a harness. I don't recall the exact story. There was a bad spot or some extreme sun fading or some thing. They wanted to see how much load it would still carry. Put it on a hydrolic pull tester. It broke at the velcro damage. Not the spot they were trying to test.

It was kind of an eye opener. The idea that relatively minor damage over a larger area could be so detrimental. If you think about it the braid goes in and out and if you damage the surface over a certain length you can damage a lot of the fibers. It sort of changed my preseption of what damage is an issue. Like I said. It failed there not at the weak spot they were trying to test.

There are actually some killer deals out there on racers. Some times you can buy a rig just for the canopies. The canopies them selves seem to lose value just from being packed in a racer. There are very good deals out there on much better racers then the one you are describing. But you'll have to bid against Falkner. She has a search engine set up that looks for deals on racer containers and she buys them all up. She has a whole wall of the dropzone decorated with racer containers. I'm surprised it doesn't implode forming a black hole sucking us all in to some alternate hell world ruled by John Sherman where he is worshiped as a god. If all possible realities exist then there must be a world like that some where. Some day that dropzone will reach a critical mass and the whole world will be doomed. BURN A RACER SAVE THE WORLD!

Lee
Lee
[email protected]
www.velocitysportswear.com

The Racer should be used as kindling. The Cirrus was also sold as a main. I have/used to jump one. Nobody liked them because they could stand them up. I could but had to work harder than a Pegasus or Strato Cloud and nobody flew the canopy through the landing back then. Only sold as main for a couole of years. Big fat soft pillow that doesn't make for a good airfoil but out glided a Pegasus, barely. Not worth jumping as main and I wouldn't pack one as a reserve anymore. Certainly not in a Racer.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

OK now that we've fit all the Racer bashing into this forum that we can... :SAnd no that's not a egging to continue....

Most points covered on here are correct. If you have the serial number and we can determine that that is the correct rig, we can put a new door on it with a new TSO label. If you don't have the serial number and the TSO label is too worn out for us to look at there is the possibility that we would inspect and re-certify it in house. There are several options out there for you. Contact anyone here at the shop (386-734-5867) or myself by e-mail ([email protected]) and we can see what we can do for you.

Blue SkiesBlack DeathFacebook
www.PLabsInc.com
www.SkydiveDeLand.com
www.FlyteSkool.ws