Gawain

What Do You Consider to be the Founding Document?

I was listening to the Sean Hannity Radio show the other day. He, Tony Snow and Will Press were discussing a few different issues and one thing they touched on, but didn't really get in-depth with was what they considered to be the founding document of the United States.

Will Press said it was the Constitution. Sean Hannity said it was the Declaration of Independence.

I happen to think it is the Declaration of Independence. I hold that opinion because it was this document that allowed the formation of the original thirteen colonies to unite as a single nation and form a Congressional Congress some years later. I also hold this opinion because the Declaration is continuously celebrated each year on the 4th of July as our nation's birthday.

What do you think and why?
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

I happen to think it is the Declaration of Independence. I hold that opinion because it was this document that allowed the formation of the original thirteen colonies to unite as a single nation and form a Congressional Congress some years later. I also hold this opinion because the Declaration is continuously celebrated each year on the 4th of July as our nation's birthday.

So what value do you place on the Articles of Confederation?

So what value do you place on the Articles of Confederation?

High value, but I think it's a framework for the Constitution, not for the formation of an American Nation.
Make light!

The DOI accomplished the task of gaining international recognition. The Constitution established the government and its roles and responsibilities.
Skydivers don't knock on Death's door. They ring the bell and runaway... It really pisses him off.
-The World Famous Tink. (I never heard of you either!!)
AA #2069 ASA#33 POPS#8808 Swooo 1717

Magna Carta (1215)

I would've thought you would think along the lines of The Salic Law. :P
Make light!

The Declaration of Independence was our severing document; it separated us from Great Britain. The Constitution was our founding document -- it forms us as we are. We were still a country, but a different entity in many ways, during the years of the Articles of Confederation.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

The Declaration of Independence was our severing document; it separated us from Great Britain. The Constitution was our founding document -- it forms us as we are. We were still a country, but a different entity in many ways, during the years of the Articles of Confederation.

TY Wendy. That's exactly what I was too lazy busy to type.

Hey..that's what I said...just not as ellokwint... suksink... clear

Where do you think I got the idea from?:) OK, so maybe I thought it anyway, but you did say it.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Como aprendiste esto? Era para ser mi secreto!!!>:(:o Ahora tendre que hacer algo horrible a su cuerpo!

Wendy W.

I disagree. A constitution was not "required" per se to solidify the Declaration of Independence as an American Nation. Whereas a Constitution can only be applied to a sovereign state. One is not dependent on the other, that's my view.
Make light!

The preamble says, "We the people of the United States, in order to form a more perfect union." It is the Constitution that is the foundation of our country.

We had a structure under Britain before. The Declaration of Independence was the wrecking ball that tore down the previous structure. The US then operated for a little over ten years under the Articles of Confederation. The problem was, it didn't work too well. It only took ten years to find out it was unworkable. So the great thinkers and leaders of the time convened to start something new and different.

The country then became based on the Constitution in 1787. The DOI didn't do anything other than destroy the old. (editorial comment: if you read it, it's mainly a gripe session directed at George)

The Constitution built something entirely new - the Constitution, not the DOI, is the user's manual for our government (and it's shorter than the one for my damned dictaphone, too).

It is the Constitution that is our guide. The DOI is merely a recitation of the American ethos, and a pretty nicely worded bitch-out of Britain and the king.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

The preamble says, "We the people of the United States, in order to form a more perfect union." It is the Constitution that is the foundation of our country.

Again here, I disagree. The context is "form a more perfect union", meaning the union is there, therefore we are attempting to make it more perfect.
Make light!

A constitution was not "required" per se to solidify the Declaration of Independence as an American Nation. Whereas a Constitution can only be applied to a sovereign state. One is not dependent on the other, that's my view.

The problem with the DOI is that it didnt' say how the American system would work. It just said, "We ain't Britain any more. Here's why we are seceding."

The Constitution is how we work. Saying the the DOI is the foundation of America seems counter to what the founding fathers said in teh preamble - they admit to forming smething new. Out with the old Articles of Confederation (just like the DOI did to England) and in with the new.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

I disagree. A constitution was not "required" per se to solidify the Declaration of Independence as an American Nation. Whereas a Constitution can only be applied to a sovereign state. One is not dependent on the other, that's my view.

Before the Articles of Confederation we were 13 individual nation-states. The Articles of Confederation did little to change that. It wasn't until ratification of the Constitution that we had a federal government to unify the states into a single coherent nation-state.

Again here, I disagree. The context is "form a more perfect union", meaning the union is there, therefore we are attempting to make it more perfect.

Yes, but that union was under the Articles of Confederation, not DOI. DOI does not make any sort of nation or tell its configuration. It just declares independence from Britain for the Indepedant states. THe only thing bringing them together in any sort of union is the agreement to break away. In that, they are united.
Why yes, my license number is a palindrome. Thank you for noticing.