tmontana

FUCK AUTO MECHANICS!!!

So i had to get new brakes a few weeks ago. Guy said well you also need a coolant flush and and a brake fluid flush. Fine, i decide to get it all done together.

Today, i go to a different place to get an oil change. When they finish, "oh we have some recomended services for you.... yup you guessed it they say i need a coolant flush and brake fluid flush.>:(

I know almost nothing when it comes to cars. So who's fucking me?????
Well i take it into a third place to look at the two fluids to find out. "well its really hard to tell if the first place did it or not but it looks ok to me"
ok then the second place is trying to fuck me right?
then the guy from the third place tells me "well the coolant flush you probably needed cause your car is 3 years old and you had the original coolant, but the brake fluid flush, well i only do that if the customer put in the wrong fluid into the brake fluid, otherwise you didn't need it."

So it looks like the second guy is a flat out liar and the first guy is also a liar by selling me something i didn't need.
But that's only true if the third guy is being honest with me. Which who the fuck knows?

FUCKING COCK-A-ROACHES!!!

So i had to get new brakes a few weeks ago. Guy said well you also need a coolant flush and and a brake fluid flush. Fine, i decide to get it all done together.

Today, i go to a different place to get an oil change. When they finish, "oh we have some recomended services for you.... yup you guessed it they say i need a coolant flush and brake fluid flush.>:(

Well i take it into a third place to look at the two fluids to find out. "well its really hard to tell if the first place did it or not but it looks ok to me"
then the guy from the third place tells me "well the coolant flush you probably needed cause your car is 3 years old and you had the original coolant, but the brake fluid flush, well i only do that if the customer put in the wrong fluid into the brake fluid, otherwise you didn't need it."

So it looks like the second guy is a flat out liar and the first guy is also a liar by selling me something i didn't need.
But that's only true if the third guy is being honest with me. Which who the fuck knows?

Many places are like that, it's why I try to do eveything I can myself instead of taking it to a car shop.

If you look in the owners manual for the car, it'll give you recommended mileages when each service needs to be done. ;)

your turn signal fluid needs changed if it's a 3 year old car;)
the last place sounds like they are honest. Depending on what type of veh you have a coolant flush can vary. check your owners manuel and it will tell you at what mileage you should change it. your brake fluid should never need flushed.
if fun were easy it wouldn't be worth having, right?

>So who's fucking me?????

Why is anyone fucking you?

Some manufacturers recommend bleeding/flushing their ABS brake systems periodically, some don't. Also, brake fluid absorbs water with time. If you've ever gotten any water in the brake fluid (checking it in the rain for example) it has to be changed. You can tell because it will turn a murky whitish sort of color.

But there are as many opinions on that as there are mechanics. You can ask ten mechanics and get ten different answers. It's like asking a rigger what the best reserve is; ask three riggers and you'll get three different answers. Usually they're not fucking with you, they just have different opinions.

If you don't want your brake fluid changed, then you can learn to test it yourself. There are basically two tests - conductivity (needs a special meter) and water content (you can generally just look at it.) If it's OK then it doesn't need to be changed, and you can tell an overly-zealous mechanic to not change it.

"but the brake fluid flush, well i only do that if the customer put in the wrong fluid into the brake fluid, otherwise you didn't need it."

That was true before ABS. In most cases, if the reservoir is kept sealed in an older car, the fluid will last the life of the car. (Of course if you keep the reservoir sealed you can't check the condition of the fluid.)

>So who's fucking me?????

Why is anyone fucking you?

Because I DID get the service done at the first place. Now, 3 WEEKS LATER a second place is telling me i need to get the service done.
So either
a) the first place didn't do it and i paid for nothing. or
b) the first place did do it and the second place is lying to me.

>Now, 3 WEEKS LATER a second place is telling me i need to get the service done.

Did you tell them it had already been done? If you take your car in for service, they're generally going to just look at the mileage and figure out what has to be done at X intervals unless you tell them otherwise.

Well i took it to a 4th place and spoke to a 5th place on the phone.
Basically what i've gotten out of it is that the 2nd place probably didn't even look at it and just went off their computer and my mileage to determine that i needed the service done (which btw was NOT how they made it appear, they made it sound like they opened it up and both those fluids looked like shit)
Also, out of the 3rd, 4th, and 5th guys i talked to they pretty much all agreed that i probably did NOT need the brake fluid flush. Most of them said that was only done in case of contamination or if i drive in hot climates (i'm in michigan).

So basically auto mechanics just moved into the number 2 spot of professions i hate, still behind lawyers, and now ahead of insurance agents/adjusters/workers

>Now, 3 WEEKS LATER a second place is telling me i need to get the service done.

Did you tell them it had already been done? If you take your car in for service, they're generally going to just look at the mileage and figure out what has to be done at X intervals unless you tell them otherwise.

When they told me i needed the service done, that's when i told them i had already told them. If they then would have said, 'oh well we were just going by the mileage' then fine i would not have been upset. But after i told them i had it done, they lied and were like, "oh well it doesn't look like it was done", they were trying to cover their asses so they didn't look stupid

haven't you ever gone to an oil changer?

this sort of BS upselling is the norm. The best is when they claim to have found grit in your oil and want to sell you a $99 (or more) service to clean out the system. Even they can't sell this without looking a bit guilty.

Some auto shops pay the mechanic bonus $$ for upselling. And some of the mechanics are serious dicks.

I have worked for several shops, one had upselling bonuses, one of the employees made a lot of money doing unneeded things that he would convince the customer were necessary.

Roy
They say I suffer from insanity.... But I actually enjoy it.

The place i had developed trust relocated and Unfortunately, this new place i went to wasn't a quick oil change type place, it's called budget brakes and auto service, a local repair shop i thought i could develop a new trust with, but they lost that pretty quick. now i have to start over again in search of an honest repair shop.... wait is that an oxymoron

Wanna know how I never have that problem? I take my car to the dealer. The same dealer. Only. No exceptions. I pay a little more, but I have undisputed warranted service, a trackable history if I move and need to use another dealer for service and invariably, I don't get f**ked.

Your other option is to learn a little more about what you drive. Take a few minutes to read the manual and understand how it works. Cars are not that complicated.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

I usually do routine maintenance myself, but was in a hurry to go on a road trip and decided to get my oil changed at a Juffy Lube. They told me I needed to get my transmission fluid changed and coolant flushed. They showed me a dab of used motor oil on a piece of paper as proof that my transmission fluid was old. :S I asked the woman, “how stupid do you think I am?” And told her to just change the oil. :| I paid 50 bucks and it took so long I could have done it myself.
Keith

Don't Fuck with me Keith - J. Mandeville

Wanna know how I never have that problem? I take my car to the dealer.

Don't get me started with dealers - well San Diego area Toyota dealers. When I leased my 4Runner - brand new - I decided I'd take it to the dealer for all the maintenance. I had nothing but trouble with that POS including a failed engine. When the lease was over I decided to buy it and sell it rather than give Toyota the equity in it. They said they had to do bazillion point inspection on it before I could finance it through Toyota Motor Credit. They told me upon inspection that the truck was in such bad mechanical condition Toyota wouldn't finance. I told them they did All the maintenance on it and to check their computer. They said they didn't need to check anything and that I was a liar. I'll Never own another Toyota again. There's more to the story but that's a whole nother thread.
Keith

Don't Fuck with me Keith - J. Mandeville

Sounds like you need to do some reading about cars and maybe a little hands on....it is not rocket science.

"Some call it heavenly in it's brilliance,
others mean and rueful of the western dream"

I have had nothing but trouble with dealers, too. They think they've got a license to steal. Both Porsche and Honda dealerships. Fricking thieves.

I had a friend that took a pair of brake rotors to the dealership for some work. They charged 110$ for the pair. I got the same work done in half the time at Autozone for 14$.

Dealerships are evil.....>:(

So basically auto mechanics just moved into the number 2 spot of professions i hate, still behind lawyers,

Sounds like you have a good lawsuit against those mechanics. :P

to bad your lawyer wont show up in front of the judge, because he was too cheap to fix his car right!:P

there are many reasons why you would need brakes flushed, the fluid gets black over time and isnt any good for the seals in the master cylender or wheel cylenders. also water contaminates brake fluid "very quickly" if it isnt in a sealesd system.

you should educate yourself on cars, just a little. read some forums for a day or two. find a good shop, and mechanic. dealers arent bad, but you can get fucked just like you can get fucked anywhere.

a good family run independant shop might be good for you.

dont go to shops that have "fast" in the name or "budget". and dont spend $99 for four wheel brake job either..you will regret it..

lol..

Bottom line - dealers and or independent shops can and will fuck you. I have been fucked by both dealers and independents. The dealers ALWAYS ALWAYS fuck you on price by the way. Even if the service is great, nothing at the dealer is great. Its hard to find a good independent shop, but it is possible - best bet - ask a friend who is a motor head who he takes his car to when he doesnt feel like doing the job. Any job I can do on a set of jack stands in my drive way - I do myself. Until my ID card expired I would use the auto hobby shop on base. Cant do that any more.

Any uneducated consumer is going to get fucked. Its simple. Just seems there are more predators in the automotive field because of the increased oppurtunity (you said it yourself - you dont know about your car). Trying to sell you flushings and what not I wouldnt even consider a rip by the way. They are trying to sell a service. You need to know better and say no.

D'Bo