wildernessmedic

Container canopy size range?

Reading around it seems like it's a bit dangerous to be freefkying in my older than me Velcro container with a loose bridle.

I'd like to get a new one but I know I won't be flying a 190 forever.

If I got one that barely fit a 190 what would be the lower end limit for canopy size?

Should I just wait till I downsize 10-20' before buying one?

You're going to get a whole lot of "it depends" answers, because it does - on the container manufacturer, mostly.

I'd hang on to your current container, get to a decent standard on your belly (your freefly coaches will thank you), and buy something freefly friendly in a size you'll keep for a while, a little later.

That is of course just me. You're going to get different answers on that, too, though :P

--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

Thanks for the reply. I enjoy canopy flight and the only real reason I have to downsize is so I can buy "the one" set up I will be keeping for years. I probably could downsize, stood up 100 landings in all conditions, but see no reason to unless maybe I could get a 170 that someday I could go a 150 into. Is that possible?

I'm pretty comfortable in a sit and on my back, there's always just that constant worry my un free fly friendly rig is going to pop open.

I think you can and if you follow the Mfg recommendations you can do it within their recommendations.. However, it costs more for the main Canopy because it takes special material.. My son and I jump Aerodyne: http://www.flyaerodyne.com/download/IconSizingChart.pdf

Looking at the I4, you can start with 210 Ultra LPV main (like the Pilot 7 with special construction) and go all the way down to a "regular" ZP 140 main in the same container.

But, be warned you start on the super tough to pack end and work down to the almost to loose stage..

My son is jumping a Pilot 168 ZPX in his I4 with 150 Smart Reserve. He is planning to down-size to a 150 ZP main next spring. It keeps the fit all "in the green" and is a lot easier to pack.. He jumps the Icon Pro.

I up-sized my 150-size rig to the I5 with 170 Main (and Dacron lines) and the LPV Smart 175 reserve.. Both my rigger and I are very happy packing up this setup..

It works, just plan a little ahead and be willing to pay for what you want..

Happy New Year - Be Safe

Once the plane takes off, you're gonna have to land - Might as well jump out!!

If I got one that barely fit a 190

You should not do this. Seriously, just don't.

Not only will it be difficult to perhaps impossible to pack, you put a lot of stress on the container, including grommets during the packing process. You do not want grommets getting mad at you, they can grab lines and not let go! Your rig will also be less comfortable, and some other good reasons to not do it that I've forgotten.

We all understand that you'd like to downsize, blah blah...but don't do this
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

wildernessmedic

I could get a 170 that someday I could go a 150 into. Is that possible?

Absolutely possible, and indeed routine. Most (maybe even all the ones I can think of) have a container size that will do this just fine.
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?